31 replies to this topic

#1 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:15 am

So back in July last year I bought a very low mileage 98 4tx to replace my tired old 99. After going through it over the winter and making it mint I hopped on the 98 for the first time a few weeks ago. To my surprise I found the 98 has a much noisier 3rd gear! Last night I took to the gearbox parts list for both years and found that Yamaha changed quite a lot of components in the gearbox, including 3rd gear(s), between 98 and 99, so this might explain why some have noisier boxes than others.

The gearbox on my 99 is pretty sweet compared to the other one. It's a pity it involves a complete engine strip to change the gears and shafts or I'd try and get the later parts and do it.

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:18 am

Yeah. Have a later mk2 box to go in my next enjun fur this raisin.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:34 am

Do you know if anyone has done a "walk through guide" on how to strip a gearbox? Sometimes people find clever ways to get around having to remove unnecessary stuff making it quicker and cheaper. 

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:47 am

The only way to swap the gearbox is to split the engine casings in half, believe me I've looked for an easy way but there isn't one unfortunately.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 Got1now

Got1now

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:55 am

The only way to swap the gearbox is to split the engine casings in half, believe me I've looked for an easy way but there isn't one unfortunately.

How about a fettling session on this one Ian?

Might take more than an hour or so perhaps..........

Bet there'd be a few takers.

Meet up at yours shall we? :clapping:

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:34 pm

Got my own to do so, errrr no. :D

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:39 pm

And that involves removing the barrels etc too?

Edited by paultdm850, 21 May 2017 - 03:40 pm.

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:48 pm

Yes, well it involves removing everything. Have a look at my mk2a bloggerydoodah for an idea. :)

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:25 pm

Fit the low miles '98 pistons, barrels and head to the '99 bottom end ....

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#10 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:40 pm

mine whines in 3rd, good to know its normal even a little annoying

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#11 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:12 am

My 4TX3 has been perfect from new. My 4TX2 whines like a turbine in third only. Does no harm.

#12 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:08 pm

who needs gear indicators when a whine will do :lol:

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#13 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:01 pm

Just to update. I have done a few things that have improved 3rd gear noise a little. 

1/ 10W50 fully synthetic engine oil

2/ I applied 10mm self adhesive sound proofing foam to the top of the oil tank, to the underside of the fuel tank (Not above the air box) and to the inside of the little side panels under the front of the seat.

3/ I have Dynojetted the carbs (with the open pipe and pipercross filter that were already fitted)

Now, don't get me wrong, this has not done away with the noisy 3rd gear altogether. But I'm sure it's better. In fact, unless I'm imagining it, it seems to be getting better a little each time I ride it. I think the biggest improvement is the Dynojet kit. It makes the engine much smoother at low revs which seems to stop 3rd gear chattering quite so much on light throttle. And also, even though I run 17/42 gearing, it'll pull 4th gear at 30mph now, which it wouldn't do nicely before,meaning I spend less time in 3rd. The only down side is I'm down to about 45mpg, but I have more performance so...

I guess what I should add is, I have for the last decade or so worn ear plugs. And for this summer I bought my self a Sena intercom thingy, brilliant thing! I can listen to the radio from my phone with it as well as make calls and the like. But I don't always wear it, it depends on how far I'm going.

Also, my clutch is running the later stiffer Yamaha clutch springs and Wemoto steel (oil dimpled) clutch plates. I guess the thicker oil might make the clutch slip if it had the lighter clutch springs fitted.

#14 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:36 pm

I still wear earplugs with the Sena Paul and hear music really well, and i'm a bit hard of hearing :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#15 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:55 am

I still wear earplugs with the Sena Paul and hear music really well, and i'm a bit hard of hearing :)

Yeah, me too. Damaged the hearing in my left ear with a hammer drill a few years ago. If only I could turn back time.... :sorry:  :)

#16 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:04 am

Yeah, me too. Damaged the hearing in my left ear with a hammer drill a few years ago. If only I could turn back time.... :sorry:  :)

I find putting your music through an equaliser as opposed to music app will give you a better sound quality as well, quality of recording will make a huge difference as well.......oops a but off the main topic sorry.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#17 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:37 pm

My 96 whines in 3rd dosent bother me in the slightest.

#18 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:51 pm

mine used to whine in all gears till the missus stopped being pillion :lol:

#19 nunky

nunky

arrived on last train

• 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:08 am

hi all , 

reading the posts I'm not alone in having a whining 3rd gear , I have a 96 4tx with 32000on it  which i have had for a few years , 3rd gear has always whined but doesn't seen to be getting any worse , planning on a uk tour this year  and was thinking of a gearbox rebuild before i go  , is it worth the work or does the gear whine have no effect on the gearbox reliability.

any sound advise would be appreciated .

#20 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:28 am

hi all , 

reading the posts I'm not alone in having a whining 3rd gear , I have a 96 4tx with 32000on it  which i have had for a few years , 3rd gear has always whined but doesn't seen to be getting any worse , planning on a uk tour this year  and was thinking of a gearbox rebuild before i go  , is it worth the work or does the gear whine have no effect on the gearbox reliability.

any sound advise would be appreciated .

If the oil runs clear and there's no metal particles on any trap magnets, then unless it sounds like an imminent disaster I would leave it.

Unless you're very keen

I did two rebuilds

My mk1 had a welded front sprocket because of spline failure, the welds failed on the way home from the MOT test, thankfully, after passing ! output shaft replacement needa f ull strip

My MK2 jumped out of I think 2nd or 3rd gears and I found a cheap secondhand gearset from a later model. Also a full strip down required

In either case it's a full strip, of everything. Well, you can leave the valves in the cylinder head. I'm not 100% certain about this but i think you could leave the pistons on the conrods connected to the crank, but the engine must be split and lots of things have to be removed.....and then a full gasket set which you'll need costs £70 - £100.

There's one or two bolts which go through the cases internally, if it wasn't for them life might be a little bit easier but it's a major job, and leads to other things such as replacing bearing shells, maybe rebuild the head ? Might as well do the cam chain. Inspect the oil pumps. .....

I rebuilt both of mine with a fair few new parts included, for around £200 each

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users