• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mikem

mikem

sticking around

• 20 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:44 pm

I had to change the headlight bulb on Monday Morning. 

It was a bit tricky to get to the bulb, I had to remove the windscreen, then the cowl around the dials, to reach the bulbs.
Still, all done now, it should be easier next time now that I know what I'm doing.

Not the sort of job I'd like to do if the bulb blew whilst out on a cold dark night , so I'm thinking of changing the bulbs every year when doing a service, they don't cost too much. 

Does anyone know how long the headlamp bulbs normally last for.

#2 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 19 December 2018 - 05:01 pm

It's been a while, but I'm sure I just reached up from under the fairing over the front wheel and it was't difficult.

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 December 2018 - 05:15 pm

As above, found no need to remove other parts, just needs a little practice maybe.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,163 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:30 pm

Try changing the N/S dip beam bulb on a '10 plate Corsa SXI ! , the boy's blew and muggins said don't take it to Halfords I'll do it ....... N/S wheel, wheel arch inner and bumper off job plus Inspector Gadget arm to swap it out !!! what a faff - took ages, guess where it's going next time - I'd rather give them a fiver or the boy will  :lol:

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#5 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:09 pm

Mine's 12 years old and 35k and never changed either headlight bulb. It's lottery.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#6 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 19 December 2018 - 08:26 pm

Dinne worry about your bulbs Mike...I recently retired a 21 yr old 4tx I had from new and I never replaced a bulb on it..

#7 mikem

mikem

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 08:40 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll try accessing the bulbs from under the fairing and have a fiddle, it should be easier than removing fairing parts.

Hopefully I shouldn't need to change the bulbs for a while. 

#8 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:36 pm

It's been a while, but I'm sure I just reached up from under the fairing over the front wheel and it was't difficult.

Same here. Not that difficult.

#9 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:06 pm

+1 not as hard as changing the rear light,

#10 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,163 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 11:21 am

Dinne worry about your bulbs Mike...I recently retired a 21 yr old 4tx I had from new and I never replaced a bulb on it..

Because they hadn't blown ? or you couldn't be bothered to change them !  :rotflmmfao:

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#11 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 22 December 2018 - 12:23 pm

Because they hadn't blown ? or you couldn't be bothered to change them !  :rotflmmfao:

Very droll gdogg :)......only ride in daylight

#12 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,163 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:54 am

:rotflmmfao:   Me too !!!

#13 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 01 January 2019 - 01:53 pm

Mine's 12 years old and 35k and never changed either headlight bulb. It's lottery.

JINX....Just got the bike out after fork seals jobbie...and yes you've guessed it. And i dont have a spare. And it's new years day. Happy new year!!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#14 kiwistopher

kiwistopher

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 15 February 2021 - 12:39 am

QUOTE(k2col @ Wed 8th Aug 2007, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've read about the airbox mods and how that can help low-rev running... could this help? Or is something wrong?

I think the airbox mod only applies to the 900, which has a flap inside which closes to reduce noise emisions at low speed. The mod just means that the flap stays open all of the time.

Mine is a 900; have just done it, but have not test ridden it yet..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users