Photo
- - - - -

Not Starting After Several Weeks In Garage?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:42 pm

So far charged battery, changed plugs, changed ignition coil and HT leads, checked fuses, got fuel to carbs, got spark on both plugs but still just turns over but not firing up. Could it be the fuel pump or vacuum valve has died since got some staining on engine and one plug seemed burned??

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:47 pm

Prolly just need to git the fuel in dare proper.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 05 February 2021 - 03:56 pm

Plugs out, few drops of fuel in each side. Plugs back in and try it. It should fire on the fuel and the increased vacuum might pull your fuel through.....or possibly float valves stuck....tap the carb bodies lightly with a timber dowel....hth

#4 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:04 pm

Prolly just need to git the fuel in dare proper.

What? :lol:

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:05 pm

My mk1 used to do it, turned out to be the fuel pump, it had lots of petrol tank grit and residue in the pump chamber which was stopping the reed valves from working effectively. Might be worth a look.

If the tank was brimmed it never happened

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#6 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:19 pm

OK silly question but is the fuel pump the same as a fuel vacuum valve on a 1991 3vd??

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:38 pm

Pump works on gravity and vacuum, vacuum drawn from hose off the left carb mount to the fuel pump so when you crank the motor it creates a vacuum at the pump and draws fuel,prolly when fuel is getting low.

If not much fuel in tank, stick a piece of hosepipe in the tank,wrap a cloth to seal it, fuel tap open and give the pipe a blow to force fuel through the line, worked a number of times for me..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:48 pm

OK silly question but is the fuel pump the same as a fuel vacuum valve on a 1991 3vd??

Not sure what you mean by a fuel vacuum valve Grendel.  My mk1 takes a good 4-5 mins of intermittent starting to fire up after being stood for a few weeks.  Allus fires on one pot before eventually firing on both.  A shake the bike whilst starting which makes me feel like I'm helping it but dunno if it really helps. :lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 05 February 2021 - 09:40 pm

Chuck a can of fresh fuel in and see if the extra head of fuel helps it run through, I take it your tank is not anywhere near full at the moment.

If you have another bike attach a hose between fuel pump vacuum take off to an inlet stub on other bike and run it for a minute, that would do it, or put the pipe in your mouth and run on the spot for a few minutes.....

If you have the tank off you could just take the pump outlet pipe off and tip fuel down it to fill the carbs.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#10 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 09:47 pm

Best solution as above if fuel is low, 5 litre top up will do it..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 12:13 am

How about a sink plunger over the fuel filler? Probably a stupid idea but I'm drunk now.....

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

#12 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 07:29 am

Awesome PMSL !!!
<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#13 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 10:13 am

How about a sink plunger over the fuel filler? Probably a stupid idea but I'm drunk now.....

:rotflmmfao:

"If you have the tank off you could just take the pump outlet pipe off and tip fuel down it to fill the carbs"

Sounds like an idea i'll give it a try.

Edited by Grendel, 06 February 2021 - 10:14 am.

#14 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 01:04 pm

Ive learnt a trick from the FB page and its called the "TDM blow job". If been left standing for a while, most early tdm's take ages to suck fuel through. A small pipe into the fuel tank opening with a cloth sealing it and giving it a good blow to get pressure into the tank and that sends fuel into the carbs which should fire up the bike if everything else is ok. I use it every time my bike hasnt started for more than two weeks and it fires first time. I've now found a rubber bung thats a perfect fit for the tank opening and stuck a short pipe in the middle.

#15 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 03:22 pm

Ive learnt a trick from the FB page and its called the "TDM blow job". If been left standing for a while, most early tdm's take ages to suck fuel through. A small pipe into the fuel tank opening with a cloth sealing it and giving it a good blow to get pressure into the tank and that sends fuel into the carbs which should fire up the bike if everything else is ok. I use it every time my bike hasnt started for more than two weeks and it fires first time. I've now found a rubber bung thats a perfect fit for the tank opening and stuck a short pipe in the middle.

I did already mention a "blowjob" Pedro, glad you like em also  :)

#16 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 08:00 pm

Sounds like my plunger idea isn't so daft after all....

I have a 12v dinghy pump that would do a cracking job.

#17 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 11:24 pm

I did already mention a "blowjob" Pedro, glad you like em also  :)

Ah yes I see. You're probably the person I got the idea from! Tdm's definitely like blowjobs ;)

#18 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 06 February 2021 - 11:52 pm

Sounds like my plunger idea isn't so daft after all....

I have a 12v dinghy pump that would do a cracking job.

sink plunger would be excellent i reckon.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#19 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 08:28 am

Thanks for the advice folks.

Out of curiosity does the Mk1 have a fuel filter since seen them advertised also electric pump repar kits neither of which i thought it had???

#20 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 February 2021 - 10:14 am

As a side note, I have 3 carb'd bikes out the back garden. They used to be a basted to start if they'd been sitting for a time till I started turning the fuel tap off at the end of the ride, emptying the carb.
Next time, tap on, give it a little time and start with full choke.
I think the fuel was going off or something, but they all start first or second press of the button.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users