• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jimbobo

Jimbobo

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 13 February 2021 - 03:54 pm

Hi guys can anyone please tell me the torque settings for the sump plug and the oil filter drain plug on my tdm 900 52 plate, thanks

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 13 February 2021 - 04:53 pm

Hello dare and welcome.

Dunno abooot 9er bolts probably similar to 850 but no book on me so not guessin.

What I do know however is that it's probably best to do the filter juans by feel (use the force Luke) rather than with a torque wrench at such low settings...just nip em ooop. The sump Juan will prolly be ok to torque ooop with a torque wrench.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,757 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 13 February 2021 - 05:41 pm

10nm for oil filter cover and nip up the sump cant remember furra 9r.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 February 2021 - 08:28 pm

Hello and welcome.

M14 engine oil drain bolt is 35Nm

M10 oil filter element drain plug is 30Nm

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 13 February 2021 - 08:59 pm

Hi guys can anyone please tell me the torque settings for the sump plug and the oil filter drain plug on my tdm 900 52 plate, thanks

Up to you Jimbo but I wouldn't trust a torque wrench on the cover bolts...run 'em up until they bite and add a pinch.....the two drain bolts are good to torque up....as I say just my opinion but I've had wrenches fail to "click" at very low settings....hth
p.s. if it's your first time don't misplace the hollow dowel and O ring from the small end of the cover...
p.p.s Apologies Dappers..just noticed your earlier post re small bolts..doh!

Edited by Apache, 13 February 2021 - 09:04 pm.

#6 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,359 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 14 February 2021 - 12:49 am

I'll echo that torque wrenches can be very inaccurate especially at low values, when I did my valve clearances I used one from work with recent calibration cert and still checked it on the digital checker first, aluminium threads go too easy.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 01:59 pm

Also, be sure to put the oil filter cover bolts back in the correct place, think there's 3 different lengths involved and it's easy to strip the threads if you get it wrong.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 02:09 pm

Studley, you're more likely to find it than me but somebody posted a colour image not too long ago of the layout of the filter,housing and bolts showing the correct location/ length....I thought I'd saved it somewhere but can't find it......after 36 oil changes I don't need it but it's useful for new to tdm folk.....

#9 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 03:02 pm

At ease private, found itAttached File  IMG_20210214_145716691.jpg   126.78KB   2 downloads

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 09:28 pm

Good find Apache. :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users