24 replies to this topic

#1 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:40 am

I saw this on the news yesterday: This is the short video clip, the full version with the interview with his mother is on various news sites which is also very worth watching. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=ukA57DwcOJw

I shared it on Facebook also. 

I've found this incredibly hard to watch, but it really has made me think hard about my riding style and my driving. (Not that I'm a maniac of course, but like many I do like to wind it open sometimes). 

I've said my piece on Facebook already, but I haven't seen any topics about it here yet, so wanted to see what your thoughts and views of it are. 

My views are that motorcyclists already always get tarred with the same brush in that some people think they are all nutters and ride stupidly and dangerously. I think the release of this video will spark much controversy among the people, but I commend the police and the family for letting this out for the good of others to learn from. I also like and agree with the slant from the police of that everybody needs to take heed, slow down and be more careful on the roads.

And from that, although the car driver was deemed at fault, and was prosecuted, I just can't help feeling that if the biker had of been going slower than he was, then a) the car driver might of seen him, and b) if the car driver hadn't of seen him and the biker still crashed, then he may of survived.

He looked like a very competent and good rider, and was in the wrong place at the wrong time. That said, I don't think I would have been travelling at 97 mph on a stretch of 60 mph road with that junction coming up.

What do you all think??  

#2 jlmtdm

jlmtdm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:19 am

I dont think I want to watch this , but I shall take heed seen and read so much awfull  stuff lately .

Like you say very good that the family are sharing this so others may learn from it.

#3 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:05 pm

I've watched the full video, and was going to share but you've beaten me to it...

It's not as bad as you might think, but still pretty dramatic.  As above I like that it's being used to educate both 2 & 4 wheel riders/drivers.

Personally I wouldn't have been going that quick towards that junction.  If it was the case then there may have been time for either party to react & avoid, but who knows.

It's worth a watch if only to see how quickly things happen...

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#4 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:20 pm

I completely agree. No way would I have going that quick on that road on top of a junction. 

It was incredible how quick it all happened. Less than a split second of seeing said car, to death. 

#5 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:11 pm

Shit, i know i've slowed down since 2012, after seeing that i'll be sure to continue.... that was bloody quick, cant help thinking he was distracted..RIP fella  :(

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:26 pm

He looks a tad too relaxed to me, one handed at 97mph in traffic, but no one deserves that.
If we all take a small lesson from this, whether biker or car driver, maybe it's slightly less of a waste.
I've just had to attend a speed awareness course for doing 25 in a 30 limit and came away feeling like the devil incarnate, Christ what the course providers would have made of this !!!
RIP fella.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#7 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:53 pm

I know they're tightening up, but you get done for doing 25 in a 30 limit now??

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#8 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:00 pm

You don't really get a valid appreciation of depth from these cameras in these conditions.

I'd venture that it was the overtake before the junction that did for him.

The speed and one handed control just sealed the deal.

I hate these cameras with a "bend over" passion.  :punishment:

In this case though I'm left thinking that it was a shame the car wasn't fitted with a dash cam so that we could understand both car driver and motorcyclists perspectives.

Ground Zero.

ewwf3gt4.jpg

Edited by TYREDNGRUMPEE, 05 September 2014 - 09:17 pm.

#9 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:24 pm

This vid has gone viral very quickly. I hope the reason for this gives road users pause for thought on how they travel.

I gritted my teeth before I even watched it, kind of new what was coming. I've spent the last couple of years up to my eyeballs in training & road safety, my riding style & observation has changed so much that the whole scenario was screaming at me to slow down.

Very sad and very brave to put this out for public benefit.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#10 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:39 pm

Made me jump even though I knew what was coming.

Very sobering.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#11 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:43 am

I know that junction well, it already has a lot of history.

97mph.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#12 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:01 pm

I know they're tightening up, but you get done for doing 25 in a 30 limit now??

Soz....typo...edit...25 in a 20.....St Giles...Oxford.....just saying.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#13 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:52 pm

I know that junction well, it already has a lot of history.

97mph.

Yup, and anybody doing that speed along there deserves everything they get. If he hadn't had died what would everybody be saying???

I must have been along there 100's if not 1,000's of times over the years road and that 10miles stretch is always shut due to accidents.

Yes I'll be the 1st to admit I ride very fast but I tend to do it in places where the traffic isn't that heavy and I slow down for junctions if there is a car anywhere near, don't overtake on junctions etc.

Seeing how he was overtaking on junctions and blind corners he was going to have an accident at some point.

Of course it is a shame he died and I do feel really sorry for his family.

(Taps fingers awaiting the backlash!)

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#14 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:25 am

I must say Jolly, i do agree with you.

#15 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:59 am

The motorist said he never saw the bike nor the silver car did this silver car stop or did it collide with the wreckage, the car was visible in the turning lane for some while yet he was still accelerating after the overtake.

Sad case we all speed but please do it safely and when you are on your favourite bit of road remember familiarity breed contempt, when I was commuting I varied my route almost on a daily basis. :good:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#16 tr7dan

tr7dan

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:28 am

It's hard to watch and really brings it home.

When I took my bike test in 1972 the examiner asked me 'What is the golden rule of motorcycling'..... I was a clueless spotty faced 17 year old back then and I couldn't answer him.

He said    'It's  See And Be Seen ! '.... always remember that, son !'   I've never forgotten it.

He passed me anyway and nowadays I never ride without a full Hi Vis jacket and lights on and I can see car drivers have clocked me from 500 yards up the road. Best thing I ever bought for my bike, my full Hi Vis.

I can't help feel if David had been wearing a Hi Vis the car driver might not have turned across him.

Dan

#17 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:36 pm

Can't be a backlash when you're right Ian.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#18 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:17 pm

The motorist said he never saw the bike nor the silver car did this silver car stop or did it collide with the wreckage, the car was visible in the turning lane for some while yet he was still accelerating after the overtake.

Sad case we all speed but please do it safely and when you are on your favourite bit of road remember familiarity breed contempt, when I was commuting I varied my route almost on a daily basis. :good:

I try and do this as much as poss because i commute alot. Ive also tried to not get too cocky on the twisty route that i go on sometimes. It is too easy to go too quick and then question how to get round the next corner.

It's hard to watch and really brings it home.

When I took my bike test in 1972 the examiner asked me 'What is the golden rule of motorcycling'..... I was a clueless spotty faced 17 year old back then and I couldn't answer him.

He said    'It's  See And Be Seen ! '.... always remember that, son !'   I've never forgotten it.

He passed me anyway and nowadays I never ride without a full Hi Vis jacket and lights on and I can see car drivers have clocked me from 500 yards up the road. Best thing I ever bought for my bike, my full Hi Vis.

I can't help feel if David had been wearing a Hi Vis the car driver might not have turned across him.

Dan

Unfortunately when i took my bike test in 2011, my instructor was a tool and shouldnt be an instructor really, but ive always had it drilled into me by my dad to be safe as hes been a biker for years.

Ive noticed how much more i get noticed on the bike now ive got my drl spots. Considering hi vis now too. Black bike, black leathers.

#19 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:36 pm

This is standard courtroom procedure.

If at any time the car driver said that they saw either the motorcyclist or the car ahead, then they would have been done for manslaughter instead of careless.

You can be sure that the police reviewed the content of the helmet cam. They formed an opinion and then got the defence to coach the car driver.

You saw nothing. You saw nothing. You saw nothing. Jail, huge ban and another life destroyed, versus community service and 18 month ban.

#20 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:18 am

In response to the comments about hi-vis, if the rider in this case had been travelling at an appropriate speed, it wouldn't have needed the driver to see him, for him to be able to mitigate the outcome. If drivers aren't looking (and I note T&G's post above) then they won't see you whatever they are wearing. HI-vis MAY be useful in certain circumstancs, but we can NEVER truly know if the other road user has seen us, even if they appear to be looking directly at us. Ride accordingly.

Stu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users