#141 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:33 pm

No you don't. Half a litre is 0.879877 of a pint in the UK.

You only get more drunk than Americans. :munching_out:

You're F¤#%&ing right ! Forgot about US vs IMP on pints, too!!! Well, another argument added to my list..... 

Bjørge

#142 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 December 2018 - 09:16 am

I heard that was the cause of one of the Space Shuttle crashes.  One supplying firm using (American) Imperial measurements and another using  Metric......?

I believe that's true, and it's been an issue with many joint projects, from shipbuilding to fighter aircraft

Well, I'm kinda lucky as I very rarely have to cope with other than metric units. It's mainly when communicating with you guys and most often MPG vs l/100km fuel consumption. Then I frequently meet the US Gallon vs IMP Gallon problem, and because the yankees regularily don't remember that other definitions of gallon exist (you're outnumbered, of course, but I suspect that's not the entire reason) this is a real PITA.

Norwegian also use a few odd measures, like "Favn" (2 meters high, 2 meters wide and length of 0.6 meters = 2.4m3) of wood (fuel) and....and.....and....no, I don't think there are any more  :P

...but of course, we have the ÆØÅ letters.... :lol:

The gallon is easy, 10lbs of pure water at room temperature.

1 imperial gallon = 160 imperial fluid ounces (fl. oz.) ** No longer officially used in the United Kingdom. **   = 8 imperial pints   = 19 of a firkin (of beer)   = 18 of an imperial bushel   = 4.54609 litres (exactly)   ≈ 412 litres   ≈ 1.20 U.S. wet gallons   ≈ 1.03 U.S. dry gallons   = 10 pounds of pure water at room temperature

"In 1783 the British inventor James Watt, who was having difficulties in communicating with German scientists, called for the creation of a global decimal measurement system, proposing a system which used the density of water to link length and mass..." Wiki.

So, not only are British measures universal but the metric system is British too. :oldgit:

it always was decimal.... volumetrically, a gallon is exactly 10lbs of pure water at room temperature

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#143 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 19 December 2018 - 11:40 am

The gallon is easy, 10lbs of pure water at room temperature.

1 imperial gallon = 160 imperial fluid ounces (fl. oz.) ** No longer officially used in the United Kingdom. **   = 8 imperial pints   = 19 of a firkin (of beer)   = 18 of an imperial bushel   = 4.54609 litres (exactly)   ≈ 412 litres   ≈ 1.20 U.S. wet gallons   ≈ 1.03 U.S. dry gallons   = 10 pounds of pure water at room temperature

Yeah, and lb is easy, defined as  0.45359237 kgs  :lol: 

The problem with joint ventures, requiring conversions, will be noticably improved with Brexit  :pimp: 

Bjørge

#144 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 11:57 am

Yeah, and lb is easy, defined as  0.45359237 kgs  :lol: 

The problem with joint ventures, requiring conversions, will be noticably improved with Brexit  :pimp: 

Easy answer - dont convert to SI units :)

#145 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:04 pm

As my old dad said....a pint of clear water a pound and a quarter.....simples.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#146 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:57 pm

That was the downfall of space shuttle Challenger - somebody shoved a 1/2 inch coupling onto a 13mm pipe - whooosh!

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#147 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 20 December 2018 - 04:28 pm

Good job I don't work at NASA

#148 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:50 pm

Anybody do work on late 70's Landrovers ?  That was a bag of shite if ever there was one !   You needed A/F spanners, Whitworth and B/A and a set of Metric....no wonder most farmers just resorted to hammer and chisel and a big monkey wrench 1

#149 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 11:15 pm

Or a BL Maestro - Imperial engine mated to a VW metric gearbox FFS - no wonder they went down the tubes!

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#150 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:18 pm

Job done. Drilled out and helicoiled. It was hell.

Back onto finishing the clean up operation

YA1CV5w.jpg

2kK3ipK.jpg

Engine is pretty much ready for paint. I plan to remove all the covers and paint them separately, then do the block.

Merry Christmas everyone

Edited by Coxylaad, 27 December 2018 - 09:18 pm.

#151 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 08:10 am

Proper job.  Hopefully the gaskets stay mostly intact when you take the side covers off, but they're cheap enough.

What have you used to degrease the underside ?

#152 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 29 December 2018 - 12:19 pm

Good job I don't work at NASA

FFS s'not rocket science Coxy...

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#153 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:17 pm

long time of inactivity. 

I now have the frame back all cleaned and powder coated. They have done an excellent job. 
3gbcrr4.jpg
yPIRAHd.jpg

I've also had a stab at painting the engine. I have some bits to touch up but generally its gone pretty well also. 
8Ck5BRV.jpg

#154 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:19 am

Lookin' good. :cool:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#155 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:28 pm

I cant remember whether or not I asked this but does anyone know where I can get a full TDM900 lockset from? 

Ideally it would include the petrol cap if possible. 

#156 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:16 pm

At long last I have finally managed to get a day in the garage to progress the 900 project. 

so, I finished painting the engine:

4UFBZt9.jpg

Did some more cleaning up of parts. 

Gbwku3r.jpg

Cp2Epde.jpg

GxBHqYE.jpg

whilst I was there I replaced the swing arm bearings and one of the bearings in the suspension linkage

started to build it all back up:

CqFfhEA.jpg

I had a rear wheel from a YZF750 kicking about from an old track bike I used to own, offered it up, and its a direct replacement! happy days, I can now run a 180 rear tyre. only drawback is that its pink! 

OxyYdYf.jpg

last thing I had a look at today turned out to be quite interesting. I was going to make a start on cleaning up the throttle bodies, they are a bit minging:

UIC1RBh.jpg

then just for the crack I decided to offer up the 42mm F800 throttle bodies on the engine:
They look so good. They may have to stay there!

ZrFL9zx.jpg

I have the ignijet ecu so tuning it to the bigger throttle bodies will be a relatively straight forward process. Would be a shame not to do it now I have gone this far. 

#157 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:04 pm

F800 injector bodies as in BMW?   Looks great so far Coxy.  Don't worry about the TDM900, pink rear rim, Coxylad is Gay comments as they are long gone by now!  I am keen to read your progress with the ignijet setup and resultant dyno runs.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#158 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:06 pm

Looks like some parts have been cleaned for the first time, ever. lol. Likin' the engine, looks really good.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#159 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:27 pm

Leave it pink, it's pretty, good work so far, cupla questions though.

1. Looks like you left the headstock races in but covered with a big washer both ends, i always assumed they would need to come out for a powdercoat ! guess not.

2. What did you use to clean up the engine, cos it was really manky looking before hand, must of done a good clean as ya paint has stuck on :)

3. Which paint did you settle on for the engine, looks lubberley :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#160 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:35 pm

You would know all about a pink rim Wicky.

What spin cycle do you use after washing the parts coxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxylaaaad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users