Photo
- - - - -

Help - Can Anybody Identify This Plastic Cover?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:04 am

I would like to ... identify a part which I have found loose under the air filter bottom housing.

If the part is what you show in your Avatar, it looks very like a waterproofing cap of a 12V cigarette lighter socket.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#2 Pjshez01

Pjshez01

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:54 am

Hi Azza

Thanks for the response. The part is as the photo - with my limited knowledge of the site the photo appeared there.

The part was found resting on the L/H frame rail when I removed the bottom half air filter base.

My concern if belongs to the bike in some shape way or form. The bike is not fitted with a 12v socket but that does not mean a socket was fitted in the past.

I have family in Sydney and Melbourne. Great place to live

Thanks for the support.

PJS

#3 Pjshez01

Pjshez01

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:24 pm

2008 TDM. Looking at my Avtar picture, can anybody please tell me where this plastic cover/cap might of come from. I found it sitting on top of the left hand frame /chassis member after removing the lower half air box body. I thought it might of fallen down off the petrol tank or off the inside of the frame above the engine but cannot see any exposed mating holes. I am not even sure it belongs to the bike which would be a nice outcome - I don't think its a cover off a 12 v auxiliary socket although the bike is not fitted with one. Any ideas anyone??

Cheers
Paul

#4 Pjshez01

Pjshez01

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:59 am

Hi Hombre

Thanks. This seems to be a favourite suggestion. I just want to make 100% sure it is nothing off the TDM before I re assemble.

I can't see how 12v  cover came to rest where it was found and that is what is making me concerned it may be a cover off somewhere to do with the engine, top frame or petrol tank areas.

appreciate the response.

Cheers

Paul

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:52 am

Maybe someone stuffed it there to fill a gap atween frame and airbox ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:09 am

Looks like it could also be a cover off of a key barrel. Hard to tell from the tiny pic when viewed on mobile, is it hinged?

#7 Pjshez01

Pjshez01

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:43 pm

Hi Crash

Great question. Had look under a magnifying glass but there is a very tiny hole all the way through the bottom of the leg. I would say almost certainly it had a  tiny pin through to act as a hinge. The cap its self is 20mm in dia

Attached Files

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:12 pm

Could be a cover for a charge port or battery conditioner connector

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#9 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:47 pm

Just my 2p worth....if no body on here recognises it as a TDM part, I would suggest it's not. Crack on.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#10 Pjshez01

Pjshez01

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:33 am

Everyone

Many Thanks for the responses. I have to agree that the consensus is a foreign part to the TDM and to use Pickard's advice - crack on and re assemble and ride.

Cheers again greatly appreciate the support.

Regards

Paul

#11 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• 1,548 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:08 pm

Looks like the top off a Pez dispenser... Pez did a "grease monkey" line a few years ago, it wasn't all that popular; they probably steeped too far out of their demographic... that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#12 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• 1,548 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:35 pm

Hi Azza

Thanks for the response. The part is as the photo - with my limited knowledge of the site the photo appeared there.

The part was found resting on the L/H frame rail when I removed the bottom half air filter base.

My concern if belongs to the bike in some shape way or form. The bike is not fitted with a 12v socket but that does not mean a socket was fitted in the past.

I have family in Sydney and Melbourne. Great place to live

Thanks for the support.

PJS

G'day PJS,

kinda looks like a cap on a trailer socket, small seven pin, but without scale it's hard to tell.

It's most definitely not OEM Yamaha TD900.

Toss it your box of mystery bits, we all have one; you'll find a use for it one day, or it'll give archaeologists and anthropologists something to muse over in years to come. ;-)

Cheers,

AzzA

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users