#21 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:36 am

Slightly off topic....but hoping it's helpful to someone...........

BTW / FYI in Belgium - no dragons teeth on the road = they have priority - many won't look to see what's coming & just pull out  - these roads are becoming rarer, but still plenty in towns where it's not at all obvious they will have RoW.

PS Belgians also have no idea about roundabouts & driving under the influence of D and/or Ds is still a national pastime.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#22 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:17 pm

Great info. Never knew that one favs ... Or just forgot!! Having done the 1000km 24 hour ride a few times it's amasing I survived as it's all backroads in belgie!!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#23 minibreakdown

minibreakdown

arrived on last train

• 1 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:59 am

Credit cards work well for fuel in France. Halifax clarity gives you best exchange rate, and works in machines if the service station is card only.
Look out for villages with a yellow diamond shape sign as you enter.......this means the 'old' French system of 'Priority from the right' applies. So anyone coming out from a road to your right has priority........scary if you aren't ready for it.
Like Studley says, watch out for speed limits, especially on Saturdays for some reason.
endgiveway.gif?w=605This is what to be aware of...

I have been browsing the forum this morning and looked at this post as I have just moved back to the UK after 14 years in France.

My understanding of the yellow diamond depicted in the picture means that you are on a priority road, where you DO NOT have to give way to the right. This priority ends when you see that sign with a black line diagonally through it, can be seen a lot when approaching a roundabout where you have to give way to the right.

For me the most important road sign you need to know in France is a triangular one with a red border and a black cross on it. Most French people and expats do NOT know what that one means. This one means that the next junction you come across is a priority to the right. Expect to see either a slow moving, white, Renault 4 or express pull out on you without stopping when they are turning right.

These are best explained on the link below.

https://www.drive-fr...iorities-right/

Also as a sub note don't forget that the speed limit for single track roads where the national speed limit applies has been reduced from 90kph to 80kph unless there is a central reservation. Les flics, hide and are more than willing to take your hard earned pounds.
Down but not out

#24 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:34 am

Hi all , im off to france at the weekend , not been over there for years  , as far as fuel goes can we use the 95ron that has ethenol in it for a 900 or is it best to use the 98 super unleaded ?  I have also been told its not as easy going for bikers as it used to be ? Any tips or experiences .

Im just back from riding the length of France on my Spain trip.

Run of the mill E10 95RON is fine in the TDM, I did find a few stations selling ethanol free 95RON but I didnt notice any difference at all in the bike.

As has been mentioned theres been a speed limit drop to 80kph on anything without a physical central barrier (not all signs have been changed). This seemed to be widely ignored by French bikers and some cars, but its only a month since the change so I guess people are either chancing it or being extra careful. On the twistier rural roads I like to frequent, 80kph is (nearly) enough anyway.

For making kms, the Autoroute is still your friend.

There have been a few other regulation changes recently (it been 10 years since I was last biking in France).

* Depending on where and when you go you might need a Crit Air registration (costs about 4.50 and lasts the life of the bike).
* CE Approved gloves are mandatory
* Reflective stickers on your helmet (but not mandatory for visiting riders)
* Hi-Viz vest/jacket must be worn in the event of break down

I complied with these regulations, but predictably, never got stopped. Generally speaking I didnt experience any difference in the laid back, welcoming attitude of the French to motorcyclists.

I did pick up a speeding fine in Spain, but thats a whole different story ;)

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by Jim, 04 August 2018 - 09:41 am.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#25 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:53 am

Attached File  No-priority.png   2.4KB   0 downloadsAttached File  No-priority.png   2.4KB   0 downloads

Credit cards work well for fuel in France. Halifax clarity gives you best exchange rate, and works in machines if the service station is card only.

Look out for villages with a yellow diamond shape sign as you enter.......this means the 'old' French system of 'Priority from the right' applies. So anyone coming out from a road to your right has priority........scary if you aren't ready for it.

Like Studley says, watch out for speed limits, especially on Saturdays for some reason.

endgiveway.gif?w=605This is what to be aware of...

Non, non, non! This sign means the exact opposite! It means YOU HAVE PRIORITY until you see this sign.....

Hmm - don't know why the pics doubled up in the wrong place but you get the idea.

#26 Got1now

Got1now

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:16 pm

attachicon.gif No-priority.pngattachicon.gif No-priority.png

Non, non, non! This sign means the exact opposite! It means YOU HAVE PRIORITY until you see this sign.....

Hmm - don't know why the pics doubled up in the wrong place but you get the idea.

Large amount of humble pie will be eaten..........Sorry about that. Riggers, you are correct!!!!!! :istupid:

More info here......

#27 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:39 pm

Large amount of humble pie will be eaten..........Sorry about that. Riggers, you are correct!!!!!! :istupid:

More info here......

I humbly accept you eating humble pie, in fact I'll share some with you. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users