11 replies to this topic

#1 frankiethecat

frankiethecat

arrived on last train

• 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:29 am

High folks.

Hope you can help me. Can anyone tell me where on a TDM 900A the Dim Dip Relay is located? I need to find it to define whether it is a 5VK30 or a 5EA02. It seems that Yamaha state that it could be either so I need to define it for ordering a new one. 

Many thanks in advance.

Mike

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:35 am

Welcome to the site Frankie, think you need to wait on JBX or Fixitsan for this one matey and of course not forgetting Apache :)

Edited by dablik, 03 August 2018 - 10:09 am.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:57 am

Hi and welcome. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:25 am

i have an early 900, and a wiring diagram for it. There is no relay for switching hi/lo beams, switching is done by the left handlebar switch, referred to as the dimmer switch int he diagram

Where did you get that information from Yamaha ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#5 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:44 am

Think you'll find it's a headlight switch on relay controlled on/off by the main ecu. It's not a dip/main relay. Parts lists are useless as they just state "relay assembly" for any relay. Safer to call Fowlers, tell them what you want and let them select the correct part number.
What makes you believe it's faulty ? Very unusual failure...

#6 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:59 am

Greetings

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#7 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:07 am

Here's the hi/lo switch, circled in red

https://flic.kr/p/29FXyZC

It directly feeds the bulb, no relay in between.

What problem symptoms do you have ?

#8 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:21 am

Here's the hi/lo switch, circled in red

https://flic.kr/p/29FXyZC

It directly feeds the bulb, no relay in between.

What problem symptoms do you have ?

Hi/lo only controls hi beam fixitsan. Dip is switched on auto by the relay he seems to be asking about. It has mutual fused supply in to the contact and winding. Winding earth is via main ecu. Output direct to dip beam. If he has no headlights at all then the relay isn't his problem..

#9 frankiethecat

frankiethecat

arrived on last train

• 8 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:40 am

Hi/lo only controls hi beam fixitsan. Dip is switched on auto by the relay he seems to be asking about. It has mutual fused supply in to the contact and winding. Winding earth is via main ecu. Output direct to dip beam. If he has no headlights at all then the relay isn't his problem..

Hi folks thanks for the replies.

The problem is that the blue High beam indicator light on the dash is working intermittently. No problem with the Lights themselves. Have only had the bike 5 weeks and took it back under the 3 Month warranty. Workshop checked all the switch gear up on the handlebars and said they couldn't find a problem so would order a new relay to be sure. Problem is they didn't actually look at it and apparently Yamaha say it could be one of two depending on what is fitted. They asked me to verify the Number on it, I just don't know where to look for it. Have been under the seat near the Battery/fuses, but before I start randomly taking panels off, I was hoping someone might be able to point me to where on the bike it sits. This is where I got the choice of numbers (5VK30 or a 5EA02).

Cheers

Mike

#10 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:53 am

The problem is that the blue High beam indicator light on the dash is working intermittently. No problem with the Lights themselves. Have only had the bike 5 weeks and took it back under the 3 Month warranty. Workshop checked all the switch gear up on the handlebars and said they couldn't find a problem so would order a new relay to be sure. Problem is they didn't actually look at it and apparently Yamaha say it could be one of two depending on what is fitted. They asked me to verify the Number on it, I just don't know where to look for it. Have been under the seat near the Battery/fuses, but before I start randomly taking panels off, I was hoping someone might be able to point me to where on the bike it sits. This is where I got the choice of numbers (5VK30 or a 5EA02).

Cheers

Mike

The blue indicator lamp is wired in parallel with the high beam bulb through the dashboard, there is no relay in that circuit

If the high beam stays on and the blue indicator lamp is intermittent then the circuit to focus on is the one going to the dash and it is most likely due to a bad connection, due to age. Simply opening and closing the plugs feeding the dash will possibly make the difference. Unless the lamp holder for the bulb in the dash is corroded too.

This is the high beam indicator circuit, highlighted with a red line, the bulb is circled in red (at the dash cluster) 

https://flic.kr/p/L1oVbk

The connectors up at the front can get the worst of the weather and easily corrode. I open and reseat all connectors on all my bikes annually, as a precaution. A spray with a contact cleaner and lubricant keeps them clean. If you use something like Caig Deoxit red formula then it usually stops any further corrosion

You don't need to know anything about electrics to do this, just carefully unplug and reseat any connector you come across when you're working on an area of the bike. The 900 has a lot of plugs/sockets underneath the tank, tucked behind the headstock (presumably for protection) on both my 850's and on my 900 I have had intermittent faults which stopped when I reseated that bundle of plugs

#11 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:54 am

Cheers

Mike

It's not the relay if your only fault is the high warning light

#12 frankiethecat

frankiethecat

arrived on last train

• 8 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:08 am

The blue indicator lamp is wired in parallel with the high beam bulb through the dashboard, there is no relay in that circuit

If the high beam stays on and the blue indicator lamp is intermittent then the circuit to focus on is the one going to the dash and it is most likely due to a bad connection, due to age. Simply opening and closing the plugs feeding the dash will possibly make the difference. Unless the lamp holder for the bulb in the dash is corroded too.

This is the high beam indicator circuit, highlighted with a red line, the bulb is circled in red (at the dash cluster) 

https://flic.kr/p/L1oVbk

The connectors up at the front can get the worst of the weather and easily corrode. I open and reseat all connectors on all my bikes annually, as a precaution. A spray with a contact cleaner and lubricant keeps them clean. If you use something like Caig Deoxit red formula then it usually stops any further corrosion

You don't need to know anything about electrics to do this, just carefully unplug and reseat any connector you come across when you're working on an area of the bike. The 900 has a lot of plugs/sockets underneath the tank, tucked behind the headstock (presumably for protection) on both my 850's and on my 900 I have had intermittent faults which stopped when I reseated that bundle of plugs

Thank you Fixitsan.

This could be why it seems to have started working again then? As they had all the switches off last week and had a good look at them I suppose it may have fixed the problem. It was the workshop that came up with the replace relay option to be honest. I was going to ride it back to them this afternoon, but thought I'd ask here on the chance of it saving my a 100 mile round trip again just for them to take a look :)

Cheers

Mike

It's not the relay if your only fault is the high warning light

Thanks Apache.

Seems like what was mentioned above may have fixed it then. That's the trouble with intermittent faults I suppose, when it starts working again its a bugger trying find what caused it :)

Cheers

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users