• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PeterM91

PeterM91

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:00 pm

My current battery is a Varta YT12B-BS and it still is functional after 10 years of duty!
Next week I am leaving for a trip around France for a week and I don't want to push my luck to far.

So I am looking for a replacement battery. The thing is that in a 900 the battery is tilted 90 deg backwards.

Results so far.

Although they recommend it in there catalogue the new YT12B-BS Powersports from Varta states a max tilt of 45 deg.

I've put up a contact form to ask them about is but no response so far.

Yuasa doesn't recommend a battery for a TDM900! See: https://www.mlmparts...s_Apps_2014.pdf

There is a TDM850 but not a 900.

Asking Yuasa about it got me the following quick and kind response:

Peter,

We have a Yuasa brand YT12B-BS, which is the same dimensions as GT12B-4, but we don't have it available in factory activated.
Since your battery is tilted 90°, we suggest using a factory activated battery. You can try calling GS Battery to see if they can find the GT12B-4 for you.

GS Battery - 800-472-2879

If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Kelvin Gonzalez
Customer Service
Yuasa Battery Inc.
610-929-5781 ext 192
www.yuasabatteries.com

I have red here about the use of a Yuasa battery in a 900, but what type do you use??

And is it safe to use?

Edited by PeterM91, 15 August 2018 - 04:01 pm.

#2 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:00 pm

I always use Tayna batteries

https://www.tayna.co...exide/et12b-bs/

Edited by Rallyist, 15 August 2018 - 05:04 pm.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#3 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:31 am

I have put in a Motobatt MBT12B4:

26600174307_12971c9f6f_c.jpg

http://www.motobatt.com/MBT12B4

Edited by TDM4ever, 16 August 2018 - 05:33 am.

#4 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:32 am

Hi - yuasa ref is YT12B-BS. Just got mine from MDS Battery Ltd £60 delivered. Includes a free yuasa neck tube! TBH I tossed a coin to choose between Tayna and MDS

and it landed for MDS. Both are the same price. Mine came filled as per latest laws and with charge.

#5 PeterM91

PeterM91

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:48 am

FYI

On my question:

Kelvin,

What would be the problem if I use a Yuasa Yt12B-BS (with acid pack) battery in a TDM 900?
I believe it is a sealed AGM battery. Would it start leaking? Or other problems?

The answer was:

Peter,

Once you activate the battery, it is considered a sealed AGM battery, but there is a possibility that it could contain some free flowing acid and it can leak when laying on its side.

Here in the Netherlands these battery are delivered with an acid pack.

I've understand that is prohibited in your country?!

#6 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:15 pm

Yuasa/GS is the original equipment. It is an AGM battery.  Yuasa say it can be installed at a "moderate angle" and is "virtually leak free". Can't get much more from the yuasa site.

Would have thought there'd have been a recall on TDMs by now if the original equipment was leaking acid?

#7 PeterM91

PeterM91

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 04:16 pm

The original battery is the GS battery, type GT12B-4 see: http://www.tdm-yamah...ex.php?page=BAT

That one is a factory sealed/activated battery (also from the Yuasa factory) in the OP.

The Yuasa YT12B-BS is with a separate acid pack with which you can fill the battery yourself.

That's a risk of spilling.

The choice is yours ;)

#8 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:10 pm

The original battery is the GS battery, type GT12B-4 see: http://www.tdm-yamah...ex.php?page=BAT

That one is a factory sealed/activated battery (also from the Yuasa factory) in the OP.

The Yuasa YT12B-BS is with a separate acid pack with which you can fill the battery yourself.

That's a risk of spilling.

The choice is yours ;)

The original battery is a GS/yuasa battery  my old one has both names on it.

I disagree with some of that in that by law in the UK you can't be sent a battery and acid pack it has to be already filled. Thus no risk of spilling. The choice is easy.

#9 Luke

Luke

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:27 pm

I've just put the Yuasa in mine. If you have it at an angle it says it must be activated and vertical for at least 24hrs. Got mine from Halfords in a rush locally, £67. CMC wanted £79 and had to wait 4 days for stock. It's working fine.

Fuel Cans, PCIII USB, Oxford Heated Grips, K&N Air Filter, Air Box Mod, Michelin Pilot Road 3, MRA Vario Screen, Scotoiler HRC, Givi Wingrack, Givi E52 Maxia Top Box, Givi E41 Panniers, Hagon Progressive Forks, Centre Stand, Bagster Tank Cover + Bags

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:05 pm

I've just put the Yuasa in mine. If you have it at an angle it says it must be activated and vertical for at least 24hrs. Got mine from Halfords in a rush locally, £67. CMC wanted £79 and had to wait 4 days for stock. It's working fine.

Hlafords price match if the matching price includes delivery but excludes ebay, got one for £17 off mine this way.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users