Photo
- - - - -

900 timing chain tensioner - Take 3 -SORTED!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:23 pm

First of all, the 850 one WON'T fit mad.gif

Secondly - I've got the 900 one to work. There's a HUGE difference in the spring tension of the plunger between the 850 and 900 - the 850 is a ratchet type with a strong spring and the 900 a worm and nut type with a very weak spring (well mine was)

I don't have a diagram of pic so it's best to PM me and I'll give you my phone number to talk through it but the 900 has a "Slinky" type of coil spring, if that makes sense, the kind of action you'd get in a clockwork toy. I basically dismantled the tensioner assembly and rebuilt it with a couple of more turns of tension, much like winding a clockwork toy up just that bit more (I realise some of the yoof on here won't have a fuckin' clue what I'm on about talking about clockwork wacko.gif )

This gives the plunger some more pressure on the chain tensioner blade and so far (fingers crossed) and 50 miles later there isn't a noise from it yahoo.gif Seems to me that this is a Yamaha production assembly fault even though Yamaha UK have only replace two TDM900 tensioners under warranty ranting.gif

To determine TDC firing on the left cylinder - and without having to take the camcover off (again unsure.gif ) you can remove the cylinder identification sensor out on the top left of the cam cover (this picks up a signal to tell the ECU the left cylinder is firing) and put your little finger down onto the camshaft. Turning the crankshaft in the anticlock (forward) direction you will feel a raised part on the exhaust cam as TDC is approaching - then turn the crank 1 FULL TURN from there and that's the left cylinder firing. I also removed the right spark plug to feel compression to back up this theory/practice but the cam sensor method works rolleyes.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#2 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:29 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Tue 10th Apr 2007, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First of all, the 850 one WON'T fit mad.gif

Secondly - I've got the 900 one to work. There's a HUGE difference in the spring tension of the plunger between the 850 and 900 - the 850 is a ratchet type with a strong spring and the 900 a worm and nut type with a very weak spring (well mine was)

I don't have a diagram of pic so it's best to PM me and I'll give you my phone number to talk through it but the 900 has a "Slinky" type of coil spring, if that makes sense, the kind of action you'd get in a clockwork toy. I basically dismantled the tensioner assembly and rebuilt it with a couple of more turns of tension, much like winding a clockwork toy up just that bit more (I realise some of the yoof on here won't have a fuckin' clue what I'm on about talking about clockwork wacko.gif )

This gives the plunger some more pressure on the chain tensioner blade and so far (fingers crossed) and 50 miles later there isn't a noise from it yahoo.gif Seems to me that this is a Yamaha production assembly fault even though Yamaha UK have only replace two TDM900 tensioners under warranty ranting.gif

To determine TDC firing on the left cylinder - and without having to take the camcover off (again unsure.gif ) you can remove the cylinder identification sensor out on the top left of the cam cover (this picks up a signal to tell the ECU the left cylinder is firing) and put your little finger down onto the camshaft. Turning the crankshaft in the anticlock (forward) direction you will feel a raised part on the exhaust cam as TDC is approaching - then turn the crank 1 FULL TURN from there and that's the left cylinder firing. I also removed the right spark plug to feel compression to back up this theory/practice but the cam sensor method works rolleyes.gif

well done mate good.gif if i get a minute tomorrow Alan i will give you a ring for the Techy details. (p.s. i must be old i know what clockwork is huh.gif )

cheers

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:55 am

It was only a matter of time until the words "900" and "clockwork toy" were mentioned in the same sentence!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:55 am

QUOTE(dapleb @ Wed 11th Apr 2007, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was only a matter of time until the words "900" and "clockwork toy" were mentioned in the same sentence!

As I've said to you before - in life, there's those who can.........and those who can't

caaaaaaaaant! cool.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#5 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:42 am

so did Russ sort it out for you in the end? dry.gif

#6 cupasoop

cupasoop

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:53 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Wed 11th Apr 2007, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He also managed to squeeze in "plunger". ohh err blink.gif

#7 Saxo

Saxo

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:12 am

G'day Alan,

Ummmmm....... I'm confused!

You say "you will feel a raised part on the exhaust cam as TDC is approaching - then turn the crank 1 FULL TURN from there and that's the left cylinder firing". But surely if you can feel the lobe of the cam rising, that means the exhaust valve is closed and you are on the compression stroke immediately prior to firing. If you turn the crankshaft 1 FULL TURN more, the exhaust valve will be open and you will be on the exhaust stroke.

Seeya

David

#8 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:25 pm

Sorry to confuse you Saxo, and any others................it's the portion of the exhaust camshaft which the sensor picks up from that you're feeling. You would initially think that the "raised" bit would be the sensor pickup BUT it's not! another 360 deg. of crank and the left cylinder is at the end of compression

Hope that clears it up dry.gif

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:55 am

Sorry to confuse you Saxo, and any others................it's the portion of the exhaust camshaft which the sensor picks up from that you're feeling. You would initially think that the "raised" bit would be the sensor pickup BUT it's not! another 360 deg. of crank and the left cylinder is at the end of compression

Hope that clears it up dry.gif

Alan,  does  'at the end of compression' mean TDC ?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 04:08 pm

G'day Alan,

Ummmmm....... I'm confused!

You say "you will feel a raised part on the exhaust cam as TDC is approaching - then turn the crank 1 FULL TURN from there and that's the left cylinder firing". But surely if you can feel the lobe of the cam rising, that means the exhaust valve is closed and you are on the compression stroke immediately prior to firing. If you turn the crankshaft 1 FULL TURN more, the exhaust valve will be open and you will be on the exhaust stroke.

Seeya

David

The cam sensor doesn't look at cam lobes, instead there is a separate cast raised mound on the camshaft away from the lobes which the sensor is reading

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#11 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:44 pm

Alan,  does  'at the end of compression' mean TDC ?

Yes

#12 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:44 am

Yes

wank yew very crutch. 

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users