• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:27 pm

So this looks pretty interesting, a waterproof (to 1m) phone,
Motorola Defy
motorola_defy_ym.jpg

Anyone tried one?
I figure a car kit modded to suit RAM Ball mounts, combined with my Bluetooth intercom, sorted!

Edited by 3vd, 23 October 2018 - 11:05 am.

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:42 pm

I need a waterproof/hard wearing phone for work. Nothing has been good enough to replace my Sony Rickinson C702 which is bloomin brilliant. Its sat nav on me boike, google maps for tracks on Dave's boike, speed/distance/trainer on the treader. lub it.

Have been trying to find a new/oldstock one for a while now but they really hold their value. The latest version Sony Rickinson ELM don't look arf as good so I also looked at the Defy. Not much in the way of writeups yet but those that there are look good.

If you find out if Defy has got a Tracker facility (plots cycle/walking/boiking routes/speeds/etc) lettuce snow, as that is one of the main things stopping me from giving up the C702.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:51 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sun 9th Jan 2011, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you find out if Defy has got a Tracker facility (plots cycle/walking/boiking routes/speeds/etc) lettuce snow, as that is one of the main things stopping me from giving up the C702.

It's an Android phone, so you can get loads of GPS tracking apps - I use Open GPS Tracker wot is free. It logs to .kmz format that you can then import to Google Earth, should you be a sad nerd like wot I is.

1996 TDM850 in Yellow, Motad Nexxus, MK1 bashplate, Acerbis handguards, K&N, Xenons, Aux lamps, Bluespot calipers, Renthal 755 bars, DIY panniers, JBX-inspired gear indicator.  (Currently not on the road.)

Bikes wot I have had and dun't have any more: 1983 Honda CB125TDC, 1976 Kawasaki S1C (early KH250 stroker triple), 1986 Honda VF500F2, 1992 Kawasaki KLE500.

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:55 pm

Great ta good.gif . I know its android 2.1 at the mo but might be getting the latest doohickadod this year sometime. Think oil wait and see if that happens as old faithful just keeps on going.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:04 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sun 9th Jan 2011, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great ta good.gif . I know its android 2.1 at the mo but might be getting the latest doohickadod this year sometime. Think oil wait and see if that happens as old faithful just keeps on going.

That particular app ran great on my old Tattoo, which was Android 1.6. As did Navigon satnav for that matter. I know Gurgle Maps will do it for free, but it relies on a data connection which you don't always have.

1996 TDM850 in Yellow, Motad Nexxus, MK1 bashplate, Acerbis handguards, K&N, Xenons, Aux lamps, Bluespot calipers, Renthal 755 bars, DIY panniers, JBX-inspired gear indicator.  (Currently not on the road.)

Bikes wot I have had and dun't have any more: 1983 Honda CB125TDC, 1976 Kawasaki S1C (early KH250 stroker triple), 1986 Honda VF500F2, 1992 Kawasaki KLE500.

#6 Gobsheen

Gobsheen

really likes Carpe

• 88 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:01 pm

Did anyone on here get a Motorola Defy? I've been reading reviews but would love to hear first-hand what someone thinks.

#7 TaffyTDM

TaffyTDM

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 119 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:13 pm

The real question is, is it piss proof? certainly on my stag do the other week my now old nokia didn't stand up to the test!!

#8 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:20 pm

QUOTE(TaffyTDM @ Wed 6th Apr 2011, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The real question is, is it piss proof? certainly on my stag do the other week my now old nokia didn't stand up to the test!!

rotflmmfao.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#9 TimH

TimH

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 182 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:40 am

QUOTE(maximuspetrolhead @ Mon 10th Jan 2011, 05:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this looks pretty interesting, a waterproof (to 1m) phone,
Motorola Defy

Anyone tried one?
I figure a car kit modded to suit RAM Ball mounts, combined with my Bluetooth intercom, sorted!

I have a HTC Desire which runs Android 2.2, and I love it. Brilliant piece of gear, can download apps to do pretty much anything. Since the Defy is an Android phone I'd guess it would be similar.

I have Copilot Live on mine for full turn by turn spoken directions GPS navigation, and Mavrick for track logging and following basic tracks on back roads. It plays music, checks email, displays weather info, Facebook updates, and can sync contacts and calendar entries with my laptop. It can display my location in Google Latitude so family knows where I am (if I let them), you can search for something (eg motel) and the results give you a button to tap which dials their number... too much other stuff to mention. All of this is available for any Android device.

If it was water resistant it would be perfect. I'm going to put mine in a RAM Aquabox for use on the bike (it goes in the tank bag now which is ok but I can't see the GPS screen, voice instructions only).

The Defy looks very interesting, damn shame I'm on a 2 year contract with the Desire.

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:55 pm

After Tam's recent phone thread, I had anudder quick shifty for a dappers proof mobile and found that Sony now do an "Xperia Active" and are also bringing out an "Xperia Go" both of which look like my kinda phone (though I am not convinced that any screen will be as tough as me C702 wan).

The "Go" hasn't gone and been released yet but here are the comparisons:

http://www.phonearen...hones/7056,5659

Am thunkin about getting the "active" as its out now and has a lanyard fitting which is a complete MUST for my phones.

Does anyone with a degree in acronyms have any idea from the jibber jabber if this is a half decent phone? The battery life looks a bit poor which is a downer because I am often away from charge facilities. I don't need a mega all singing all dancing phone but for a first foray into Androidy cyber bots or whatever they are called does this sound loike a reasonable choice bearing in mind the limited water/dust proof options?

#11 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:20 pm

The Go is IP67 rated, meaning it can survive up to a meter underwater, whereas they don't quote an IP rating for the Active

Battery life does look a little poor, quoted as 4.88 hours for the active, compared with 8.25 hours for my HTC Sensation which still needs charging every night if actually use it.

The main thing I find that uses battery on a on smart phones is mobile internet. Mine's set to synchronise my e-mails and stuff every hour or so and will last 2 or 3 days on a charge if that's all I do, but internet browsing will soon hammer the battery and if I'm abroad so not using mobile broadband it'll last all week. If you're connected to wifi instead it uses a lot less power.

If being away from charging facilities is a problem for you, you can find high capacity batteries, whcih also need an extended back cover as they're fatter, for most phones, or look at something like a PowerMonkey which charges the phone from an external battery, or even solar power on some versions.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#12 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:39 pm

I have a Defy Plus (jcb edition, which comes with a few extra apps and a decent rubber cover/case type thingy), which has a faster processor and bigger battery thanthe original Defy.

Verdict - it's ok, but it not a Nokia.

I miss my Nokia maps and the phone itself is slower than my (now broken, hence replacement) C7 running half the processor speed and Nokia Belle, which is very similar to Android in appearance since it's latest update, but with a few useful extras. Yes the Android (2.3 in this case) is better supported for Apps, but in terms of effective use of the processor speed, Nokia Belle wins out. The android has a sleeker looking system, but I suspect it's a bit like Windows Vista where it's hogging lots of memory in the background. I haven't tried IceCream Sandwich, so that may be very different!

That said, the Defy Plus is an ok phone and has the benefit of being water resistant and tough, which is very useful for me in my work environment. Battery life is actually pretty good if you "manage" it by turning off a lot of the crap that runs in the background and only switch data on when you actually need it, rather than let it do it's own thing. Best it's done so far is 2 1/2 days normal use with several hour long calls (via bluetooth hands free), numerous txts and about 4 hours of music (also through bluetooth hands free). Sat Nav wise, I've tried CoPilot V8 and found the screen too jumbled up for motorcycle use (I don't do voice, just glance at the screen), but Navfree is reasonable and stores the maps on the phone, so no data charges in euroland.

Downside for you Dappers is no Lanyard mounting, but there are probably ways around that.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#13 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:44 pm

That battery does sound a bit poo then. The IP rating is the same for both phones, not sure why it doesn't list on comparison.Have small and large solar chargers but unless on tour they are awkward to carry around along with phone...and like phone unless its bullet proof oil break it! Seems there are alot more options for waterproof androids now. Just seen anudder wan. Samsung Rugby Smart
QUOTE(trevini @ Sun 17th Jun 2012, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a Defy Plus
Ohh best go have a look. I did consider the Defy a while ago but after hearing of issues with them and Motorola customer service oi got cold feet.

#14 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:59 pm

They seem to have sorted out the issues that plagued the original model. It will, however force you to open a MotoBlur account and hence googlemail/Gmail for the phone to work.

I have experienced problems with the MotoBlur account not recognising the password on the phone and the online part not associating the phone with it. The only option is a factory reset and set up the account again, which will mean reinstalling all the apps and downloading all the europe maps again. The phone is working ok, so won't bother unless I need to. The email software (associated with MotoBlur) is fussy about syncing email from sources other than Google/gmail. Easily sorted but getting gmail to pick up my other emails rather than ste up lots of "buggy and unreliable" accounts. I haven't explored any other email options/apps yet. The only other real downside I have is that it will only download apps through the data connection or through WiFi, which is a PITA as I don't have WiFi at home. Funnily enough, the phone actually came out as a best buy in some reviews. It's not in the same league as the Galaxy S2, but it costs half as much, so I guess you get what you pay for.

Found it...review linky

Edited by trevini, 17 June 2012 - 04:00 pm.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#15 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:05 pm

Torn atwiz the Defy and Active. Think it is going to come doon to something as low tech as a lanyard!! There are options to put phone in a bag with integral lanyard but I just want a strap to the phone really and the options for this look scratty on Defy whereas Active has built in loop.

Ok now this is just weird. Rolling out an icecream sandwich, just sounds messy! http://www.mobileblo...active/2215497/

I guess this is new software. How do existing phones get updated with this sandwich?

#16 filo

filo

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:10 pm

I have had a defy for about 6 months,it does the job I want it to, ideal for camping cycling sking etc. camera is ok, gps works fine (i have it in my tank bag clear top, put the headphones in, and charge it at the same time through an accessory socket) can get emails fine, ebay, u-tube etc all ok. never used it for games, or myface stuff though. Got it through vodafone, 500min phone calls, unlimited texts, 500mb for £20 month. Not tried pissing on it sorry, hope that helps

#17 jdelfino

jdelfino

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Location:Benalmadena Spain no more, The Hague no more, now Hampshire
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:34 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sun 17th Jun 2012, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have small and large solar chargers but unless on tour they are awkward to carry around along with phone...

dapleb, check this: http://www.bike2powe...harger-kit.html

Sent from my secret Dick Tracy watch

#18 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:41 pm

Haa that is mega good.gif . I lay solar panels on me pan-ears whenst on treader and run cable down frame to phone but loike that idea as well.

#19 Galilee

Galilee

850 going for 900

• 892 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:00 am

There's also the Samsung Galaxy Xcover to consider if you want IP67 rating (dust and waterproof).

Some nifty features, but it's not a Galaxy S2 or S3
Too Freud to rock'n'roll, too Jung to die.

#20 Ronnie

Ronnie

sticking around

• 30 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:05 pm

My mate's got the Motorola - his party trick is to drop it in his lager! Looks great in among all the amber bubbles evillaff.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users