#1 Zorst

Zorst

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 161 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:18 pm

Afternoon all.

Yeah how come the bike I always want is miles away.

I've been looking for my next bike and I always do the search to see what TDM's are or the market.

Why a TDM over other bikes, well as we all know MPG, insurance, good at filtering, well balanced, light and sound the business with a set of cans.

It's not often (I don't think) that a late bike with low miles for a fair price comes up for sale. And I've found one.

Problem is, I'm at Warrington and the bike is way up in Scotland. The day's have well gone where I used to get excited, get a hire van and travel where ever that bike maybe. Must be an age thing and driving around our country isn't what it used to be.

My options, van hire, bike collection-who to trust, or motorcycle relay.

Another option was get a train and ride it back but the train ticket is £124.

Any thoughts or input appreciated

Ken/Zorst

Zorst/Ken

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:29 pm

Catch a plane ?  Might be dooable for less than a train ticket.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:41 pm

£80-£90 for a flight from Manchester to Scotland, takes about 1hr 10mins.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 Zorst

Zorst

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:45 pm

Have you got the link for that please Studley?

I've had a quick look myself to fly there. And if it wasn't difficult enough it's Manchester to Inverness.

I've found to fly a low as £70 but with one change and it'll take 4hrs. Yeah I know we can improve on this.

Ken/Zorst

Zorst/Ken

#5 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:47 pm

Try varying the time of your train. Sometimes you can get a good price. If it's west coast line, Virgin sale ends today.

Do you have a mate who'd drive you up there and you can ride back.

Edited by TKH, 19 March 2018 - 03:48 pm.

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:47 pm

I just googled "manchester to scotland flight" Ken.

EDIT: Seems the flight direct to Inverness is really pricey though. :(

#7 Zorst

Zorst

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:58 pm

Try varying the time of your train. Sometimes you can get a good price. If it's west coast line, Virgin sale ends today.

Do you have a mate who'd drive you up there and you can ride back.

I'm sure I must have a mate, I don't like asking or putting people out. But it'd be a mini adventure with it being 6hrs away by road

https://www.google.c...2018-04-08;tt=o

Hope that link works. A direct flight from Manchester to Inverness £102 but first availability is 4th April.

Zorst/Ken

Zorst/Ken

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:01 pm

2 weeks to 4th April isn't that far away.  Weather might be a lot warmer by then too. :)

#9 Zorst

Zorst

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:09 pm

2 weeks to 4th April isn't that far away.  Weather might be a lot warmer by then too. :)

Good point, on both counts!

Zorst/Ken

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:10 pm

Even to book a collection by a man with a van you may need to wait a couple of weeks before they can pick up, most have scheduled runs up to Scotland, hitch up, ride back..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:52 pm

That's Inverness :rotflmmfao:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:42 pm

I'm sure I must have a mate, I don't like asking or putting people out. But it'd be a mini adventure with it being 6hrs away by road

https://www.google.c...2018-04-08;tt=o

Hope that link works. A direct flight from Manchester to Inverness £102 but first availability is 4th April.

Zorst/Ken

6Hrs is optimistic, but doable if all conditions are in your favour.

I'm near Edinburgh and if you think I can help speak up, what about bike transport from Inverness to Edinburgh (Livingston, pcode EH53) , I could keep the bike secure for you and maybe you can get a train or flight deal to Edinburgh (local stations Kirknewton and Livingston within 10 minutes drive) ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#13 Zorst

Zorst

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:41 pm

6Hrs is optimistic, but doable if all conditions are in your favour.

I'm near Edinburgh and if you think I can help speak up, what about bike transport from Inverness to Edinburgh (Livingston, pcode EH53) , I could keep the bike secure for you and maybe you can get a train or flight deal to Edinburgh (local stations Kirknewton and Livingston within 10 minutes drive) ?

I agree, it's 6hrs on google maps but these things really do take all day. That's very kind of you to come forward to try and help and do what you can.

I'll keep that in mind. Really appreciate it.

Ken/Zorst

Zorst/Ken

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:59 pm

I agree, it's 6hrs on google maps but these things really do take all day. That's very kind of you to come forward to try and help and do what you can.

I'll keep that in mind. Really appreciate it.

Ken/Zorst

No problem Ken, for shits and giggles a train is £24 for me to get to Inverness. I *love* riding down through that area (I have insurance). £20 in fuel should cover it. And I'm off work all week but unavailable from Friday. !

For you though, a flight to Glasgow on Saturday is £75, and the train on to Inverness is £45 (£25 weekday)... similar prices if you come up the east coast via Edinburgh (but as Edinburgh is a more popular weekend destination it can be a few quid more). Anyhow - cup of tea here if you needed one

There's a train Manchester to Glasgow on Saturday for £32, or £39 first class, then £45 to Inverness....but these might be cheaper if bought as a single ticket

Edited by fixitsan, 19 March 2018 - 08:59 pm.

#15 Zorst

Zorst

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:58 pm

No problem Ken, for shits and giggles a train is £24 for me to get to Inverness. I *love* riding down through that area (I have insurance). £20 in fuel should cover it. And I'm off work all week but unavailable from Friday. !

For you though, a flight to Glasgow on Saturday is £75, and the train on to Inverness is £45 (£25 weekday)... similar prices if you come up the east coast via Edinburgh (but as Edinburgh is a more popular weekend destination it can be a few quid more). Anyhow - cup of tea here if you needed one

There's a train Manchester to Glasgow on Saturday for £32, or £39 first class, then £45 to Inverness....but these might be cheaper if bought as a single ticket

HaHaHa good greif! That made me laugh. Talk about thorough. Have you got nowt else to do. But seriously that was good reading.

Although I see it as a logistical nightmare it is obviously doable if things would fall into place.

I did ask the seller if he would send any pictures of the bike to my email address, (just for the hell of it and appreciate the bike more) so I can enlarge them on my pc for better perusal. he said yeah I'll send them to you tomorrow but not got anything yet.

Once again, thanks for everything and I'd do the same for anyone. A train ride and then a 3hr bike ride is above and beyond the call of duty.

Zorst/ken

Zorst/Ken

#16 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:07 pm

HaHaHa good greif! That made me laugh. Talk about thorough. Have you got nowt else to do. But seriously that was good reading.

Although I see it as a logistical nightmare it is obviously doable if things would fall into place.

I did ask the seller if he would send any pictures of the bike to my email address, (just for the hell of it and appreciate the bike more) so I can enlarge them on my pc for better perusal. he said yeah I'll send them to you tomorrow but not got anything yet.

Once again, thanks for everything and I'd do the same for anyone. A train ride and then a 3hr bike ride is above and beyond the call of duty.

Zorst/ken

Obviously you haven't seen my riding ;)

Hope you gee sorted out to your own satisfaction somehow anyway

#17 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:37 pm

Shame this was not last week. I was in Aviemore at the weekend with the family and Inverness is only a half-hour up the road from there. I could have offered a similar deal to fixitsan, but the cost to wash off the salt from the ride would have been high!!

Make a weekend of it and we can act as tour guides, or at least a refuelling and re-warming stop.

When pricing rail tickets check out buying the two parts separately (split ticketing it's called I believe) - that seems to be well below the price you mention. Don't forget that air travel requires extra time at each end to get to/from the airport and do security. Train stations are plumb centre in the cities.

I assume this is a private sale, since most dealers will offer a delivery service - for a fee of course.

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#18 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:05 am

Also, www.motorcyclescotland.com (on facebook -> https://www.facebook...rcyclescotland/) is monitored by people with B&B and small hotels, who are bike friendly and often offer secure storage at very good rates. Even just posting a quick message saying what you're doing and that you need an overnight stay will probably get you plenty of help with accommodation.

I can see it now, pick up the new bike in Inverness, come west along the north coast, down through Applecross and a few other delights.....take a few days off work to get to know the new bike......what a life !

#19 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:42 pm

I just don't understand your problem..... :P

Bjørge

#20 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:51 pm

I just don't understand your problem..... :P

:D

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users