• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:34 am

Good afternoon, do any of you good (and not so good) people out there ever check the front wheel rotation of your bikes by spinning the front wheel and seeing how long it takes to stop or how much audible friction there is between the discs and pads, basically should immaculately clean discs / calipars have no contact at all when conducting this test or is a bit of contact nothing to worry about and is acceptable ?? i'm going to remove the front pads from the bluespots later and just use aerosol brake cleaner on and around the pistons to see if it reduces aforementioned friction, i don't wanna drain the fluid and remove each calipar as i'm crap at bleeding brakes. ps at the moment my front wheel will do approx 2.5 rotations afore it stops.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#2 Yellowasp

Yellowasp

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:50 pm

sounds about right to me, depends when you spin it. If left fo a while the discs go a bit manky and yer pads grow something on em which makes it worse but I am sure they do make a little contact anyhow, or maybe I am wrong ?

Who knows, who cares if im wrong, im off to the airport now fer me hols
Yellow Tdm 900 with lots of bits added

#3 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:53 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Mon 25th Jun 2007, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good afternoon, do any of you good (and not so good) people out there ever check the front wheel rotation of your bikes by spinning the front wheel and seeing how long it takes to stop or how much audible friction there is between the discs and pads, basically should immaculately clean discs / calipars have no contact at all when conducting this test or is a bit of contact nothing to worry about and is acceptable ?? i'm going to remove the front pads from the bluespots later and just use aerosol brake cleaner on and around the pistons to see if it reduces aforementioned friction, i don't wanna drain the fluid and remove each calipar as i'm crap at bleeding brakes. ps at the moment my front wheel will do approx 2.5 rotations afore it stops.

Naaaaaa, you're all wrong, it should be between 3.33 & 3.66 rotations... rotflmmfao.gif

Joke apart, you worry too much : once you have the pistons clear from dust, pad & disks ok and clean fluid, some friction is ok, it won't get you into trouble...

top_640.png

#4 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:11 pm

feckers !!!!!!!! tongue.gif

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#5 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:14 pm

i'll put it up on the paddock stands tonight and spin the wheel just for you matey....

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#6 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:22 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Mon 25th Jun 2007, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
at the moment my front wheel will do approx 2.5 rotations afore it stops.

absolutely fine.

pads do rub ever so slightly on all disc brakes.
if they got sucked back so they were completely clear, there'd be to much lever travel

Its when the wheel won't spin at all that you know they're seized

Edited by GuyGraham, 25 June 2007 - 03:22 pm.

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:53 pm

Cheers GG, i do feel better at not having to walk the 40 yards to the garage to clean em up !!!!!!!

#8 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:03 pm

You could always use the rest of your WD40 on the discs. I'm fairly sure it would stop the rust, and it would probably reduce friction and definitely increase rotational co-efficiency of front wheel.
Another one of those brilliant ideas thought up after too much beer and waccy baccy. Like using Mister Sheen on the saddle to clean it up a bit.

Neither was one of my ideas I should point out.

#9 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:28 pm

Reminds me of a thick rich kid at skool when Honda brought out here replacement to the SS50, it was a CB50 I think. anyway it was really cool (when I was 16).

He was brought bought this brand new bike (unheard of where I grew up), within two weeks he dented the tank. Then to make it sound better he just got a hack saw and and sawed off half the silencer. Then he had a squeaky front disc, and my mate suggested he oiled the disc a bit (everyone standing around new it was just a laugh and no one took it seriously). Guess what?!!!

Yep.

Cretin! evillaff.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users