#21 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:32 am

After some experimentation I've realised a flaw in my plan to use a VPN seperatly on each device.  I use an app on my phone to control my Pi over the local network.  Running a VPN on my phone puts it on a different network from the Pi so I can no longer use the remote.  I had planned to put the Pi on the VPN, which would result in the same problem.  Looks like I need to put my entire network on a VPN, which I don't think my virgin router can do.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#22 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:54 am

In the past I've reflashed my router with enhanced software...not sure if that's an option with your router but a lot of them seem to be Linux boxes thesed days and capable of a lot more than they're usually programmed for..

Not sure why there is a problem with split use network, I would expect that if your phone app and Pi were on the same VPN all is well ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#23 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:03 am

DD-WRT is the usual one people flash their routers with, but not possible on the virgin superhub, need to put the virgin box on modem mode and then use a separate router.

I'm not sure how it would work if the pi and phone were both on the same VPN, hopefully they shouldn't be able to talk to each other as that would mean anyone on the same VPN server would also be able to talk to my kit.

2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

#24 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:10 am

Blockchain is one of the interesting ways forward.

It may not help with the snopping thing, but it certainly has some very real world applications as far as data security is concerned...

If you're interested this TED Talk is a good use of 20mins of your life!

As for VPN - I use PIA, but there are others.

Make sure that whatever you choose they have a "Warrant Canary" or a very specific reason (with backing evidence) as to why they don't.

Cheers. PIA has come up a few times on my online travels, that and NordVPN. Maybe I'll try both for a month.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#25 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:44 am

DD-WRT is the usual one people flash their routers with, but not possible on the virgin superhub, need to put the virgin box on modem mode and then use a separate router.

I'm not sure how it would work if the pi and phone were both on the same VPN, hopefully they shouldn't be able to talk to each other as that would mean anyone on the same VPN server would also be able to talk to my kit.

Are you using standard port functions, EG port 80 for HTTP, and 443 for HTTPS ?   You can play around with port numbers to get out of the scope of most port sniffing bots

https://en.wikipedia...DP_port_numbers

Edit, most routers let you redirect specific message types to alternate port numbers......

Edited by fixitsan, 30 November 2016 - 11:50 am.

#26 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:56 am

PIA and Nord both came up with good reviews when I was looking, but I went with PureVPN based on price, their "Cyber Monday" deal makes it one of the cheapest about and it gets good reviews.

Not played around with port numbers other than making sure a couple of higher number ports are open to allow the Mrs work VPN to passthrough.

#27 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:13 pm

PIA and Nord both came up with good reviews when I was looking, but I went with PureVPN based on price, their "Cyber Monday" deal makes it one of the cheapest about and it gets good reviews.

Not played around with port numbers other than making sure a couple of higher number ports are open to allow the Mrs work VPN to passthrough.

Its just a suggestion....not really viable if its for http..... but if it was a more obscure protocol operating the Pi, even SMTP....then you can tell the router to send SMTP messages to an alternate port such as 40000....and the set the Pi up to listen on that instead of the standard SMTP port.

It depends on the protocol the phone app is using....its not fun redirecting all http from port 80 to 40000 because every devoie you use on the network will have to be changed too just to surf the web.....but it means your wifi is pretty secure !

Edited by fixitsan, 30 November 2016 - 12:15 pm.

#28 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:22 pm

I think my house was built to withstand nuclear attack, the door frames are all metal and all the walls are solid brick with a metal mesh nailed on to hold the plaster.  Hence my wifi's very secure as the only place outside the house you can get a signal is standing within two feet of the lounge window :D

#29 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:01 pm

I think my house was built to withstand nuclear attack, the door frames are all metal and all the walls are solid brick with a metal mesh nailed on to hold the plaster.  Hence my wifi's very secure as the only place outside the house you can get a signal is standing within two feet of the lounge window :D

Didn't realise they had wifi in prisons :)

#30 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:38 pm

You need to have a metal mesh with holes smaller than the wavelength to act as a shield.

In the case of WIFI it's the same wavelength as microwaves, mesh size is clearly visible on the microwave door.

top_640.png

#31 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:05 pm

Well folks I just signed up with PIA and installed their apk and have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. I thought it would slow my mobile down some, but it's actually speeded things up. I can't wait to try it over WiFi.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#32 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:54 pm

Well folks I just signed up with PIA and installed their apk and have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. I thought it would slow my mobile down some, but it's actually speeded things up. I can't wait to try it over WiFi.

:clapping:  :good:

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#33 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:02 am

Are you using an app or set it up in the phone?  PureVPN's Android app proved to be a bit rubbish, but setting it up in the Android settings works perfectly.

My home network is not even more secure...got home last night to find I have no internet or TV, virgins online testing thing reckoned my kit was turned off, phoned them up and they ran some tests and couldn't find a problem so booked an engineer to come on Monday.  Then they sent a text to say they'd fixed it and cancelled the engineer...but it's still not working  :rant: Virgin's a great service when it works but their customer support is a bit crap.

#34 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:49 pm

Didn't realise they had wifi in prisons :)

Not married then? :lol:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#35 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:11 pm

Are you using an app or set it up in the phone?  PureVPN's Android app proved to be a bit rubbish, but setting it up in the Android settings works perfectly.

Installed via Google Play. It's been fine. The real test is setting it up on Linux and Amazon Fire TV box.

#36 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:12 pm

Not married then? :lol:

Aye....doh !