#1 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:34 pm

Guys,
Has anyone had experience of using these rechargeable floodlights as I'm thinking of getting a couple for mine as I've no power in it. It's a normal size garage and just wanting enough light to work 3/4 hrs at a time in it under cover.

Any help or advice would be welcome.

2003 TDM900 in Galaxy Blue with 32k on the clock

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Oxford Heated Grips, Polisport Handguards, RM-G Crash bars & Centre Stand, Givi
Touring & Double Bubble Screens, Bar Risers, Renthal 755 Riser Bars,
Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#2 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:47 pm

links?

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#3 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:30 pm

sausages

#4 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,394 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:31 pm

One of my mates uses something like these on his cherry pickers & reckons they're great.        http://www.ebay.co.u...fMAAOSwEetV8Apx

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#5 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:34 pm

The word 'these' used in the wrong context.. sorry. I wasn't asking about any particular model.

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#6 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:54 pm

Screw fix rechargeable 23w led worklight mounted on a stand with handle. 2 light levels. Great product but £30. Screw fix code 7042K. 6 to 8 hrs between charge.
Just checked favs link and it's basically the same. Screwfix cheaper because it's 23w but it's more than enough light. I have one in the garage and use them at my work too.

#7 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:14 pm

i've got the same problem in my garage. i use two old van batteries and an 8w solar charger stuck to a window and a couple of 12v bulbs.  barely enough light to see what i'm doing. i never realised there were such things as rechargable floodlights! just the solution to my problems. cheers!

#8 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:09 pm

One of my mates uses something like these on his cherry pickers & reckons they're great.        http://www.ebay.co.u...fMAAOSwEetV8Apx

Aim this away from your work area into a tight corner between two walls and the ceiling. The reflected light alone, fills the entire space.  :good:

#9 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:09 pm

So is it all about w size, 10w, 20w 50w etc. So the more watts the better the light?

I know it's the obvious answer with normal bulbs/lights but not sure about led rechargeables.

#10 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:48 pm

Gonna go for one of these badboys, try one first then if I need another will pick it up ... great reviews!

http://www.screwfix....tails_container

Will let you know how I get on chaps.

#11 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:50 am

It'll be more than adequate latestarter

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:39 am

So is it all about w size, 10w, 20w 50w etc. So the more watts the better the light?

I know it's the obvious answer with normal bulbs/lights but not sure about led rechargeables.

It's still the same, with the added benefit that LED's tend to be much more efficient than tungsten filament bulbs (which waste a huge percentage of electricity as heat)

Watts = Amps X Volts.

A 50W 12V filament (incandescent)  bulb will draw just over 4Amps of current....and an LED bulb will too. But you will probably have noticed that LED day running light's can be wired directly into the lighting harness in most cases, without any additional wiring, because to produce the same light output (measured in Lumens) as a filament bulb they use much less current

That lower current demand is what makes rechargeable batteries last longer than using filament bulbs in this sort of application

As an example, an incandescent 60W bulb creates about 800 Lumens of light output. To get the same amount of light from an LED source you will use about 6-8W of electrical power....so you can work ona rough 1:10 light output ratio.... a !00W filament bulb can be replaced with a 10W LED....althought the light patterns, and colours can be quite different.

A solar panel on the roof, an old car battery and couple of cheap LED drl's would serve you well....but not as compact, simple to use or robust and portable as the Screwfix examples given already !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#13 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:06 am

...and the best things about LED worklights: a) They don't go dark every time they're shaken, and b) The lack of heat avoids fire and excessive temperatures. I bought a 40W LED worklight a short while ago - prolly my best investment ever.

Bjørge

#14 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:26 pm

Gonna go for one of these badboys, try one first then if I need another will pick it up ... great reviews!

http://www.screwfix....tails_container

Will let you know how I get on chaps.

That looks as if you could undo the lamp unit from the yellow base and then screw it to the wall or roof.

However you'd then have a problem moving it to a charging point - hmmm.

Quick-release screw of some sort?

Ideas on a postcard.....

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#15 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:12 am

I put some of these LED self-adhesive strips up at the wife's livery yard, connected to an old car battery and a cheap solar charger from Maplin.  Needs a top-up charge halfway through the season but otherwise it's self-sustaining.  I even found an old RF remote control for it!  Lovely and bright, and if you don't mind a bit of soldering you can cut the strips into smaller sections to spread them out.  I use waste Cat5 cable to join them.

https://goo.gl/photo...iWw2zGnyTNZ29W6

1996 TDM850 in Yellow, Motad Nexxus, MK1 bashplate, Acerbis handguards, K&N, Xenons, Aux lamps, Bluespot calipers, Renthal 755 bars, DIY panniers, JBX-inspired gear indicator.  (Currently not on the road.)

Bikes wot I have had and dun't have any more: 1983 Honda CB125TDC, 1976 Kawasaki S1C (early KH250 stroker triple), 1986 Honda VF500F2, 1992 Kawasaki KLE500.

#16 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:57 am

That looks as if you could undo the lamp unit from the yellow base and then screw it to the wall or roof.

However you'd then have a problem moving it to a charging point - hmmm.

Quick-release screw of some sort?

Ideas on a postcard.....

A couple of pipe brackets on the wall and you could just slot the mounting frame in and lift it straight out when you want to charge it.

23W should be plenty, I've got a pair of 20W LED spots on the bike and they're brighter than the headlight.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users