#1 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:32 am

Got back from camping trip to Carole Nash renewal quote.

CN last year £129 no changes renewal is gulp.............. £192 which sounds like divide by 2 and multiply by 3 :rant: . They did the same with my car last year and lost the business as the guy on the phone couldn't give a flyiing.....

Went online (same details), prices starting from around £95 from Bennetts ("You know why they're cheap Basil") to ludicrous £7000ish. 

Tried CN for an online quote (same details), £141 ????????? I'll make a Marx Brothers style phone call tomorrow, but first I'll make sure there's no ink in the pen.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#2 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:26 pm

Usually the guys on the phone get commission for selling. It should be in their interest to get you a good deal.

#3 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:47 pm

It's a mad insurance world out there. I would be tempted to quote the online price to them and tell'em it's still too much. Ask if they can reduce it. Then next day do the same again. Different people gave me two reductions (still to much, mind!). Worked for me. I was tempted to make a third call the following day but gave up at that point...exasperated.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#4 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:35 pm

Update

Played the annual insurance game with CN -

Asked if that was the best they could do at £192 - 3 minutes on hold tra la la - good news says the sales person - we can do £141 (see OP). Ok says I, if that's the best, I'll keep it in mind and let you know. Hold on sez sales, I'll see if I can do better. Hold 3 more minutes tra la lee and exactly the same cover with no changes is now £131.52 sold sez I.

Stop trying to have motorists pants down :punishment:

Stupid game anyway.

#5 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:53 pm

Well done. They could hardly make it more difficult for their customers.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:47 pm

Worth the phonecall eh Alan.  Still a fookin' pain though.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:33 am

I think the 'I'll bear that price in mind' sentence rang the bell. Deffo worth it - but why do they do it? I mean, you try that on in Argos, "Can you knock £60 off the microwave I want to buy?', and you'll hear the whoosh of special ambulance with nice young men in clean white coats....... 

Oh, while I'm ranting, I've never been asked for proof of NCD for insuring my cars, yet I'm always asked if I change bike insurer & broker - what's that about?

What kind of crap May weather is this? I can hardly wait for the normal fore-monsoon to begin in 10 days time...........

Who's that knocking at the door?

Tatty bye folks tatty bye

#8 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:20 am

I managed to get out with my son before the rain - made use of that might-have-been very costly insurannce....

#9 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 11:02 am

A tale of caution, I did the same, keep asking if that was the best a couple of years back. Got a good deal but the numpties forgot to add the extras I had - seat, uprated shocks, top box, panniers, bars, risers, etc. Only found out at next renewal when it said there were no changes.

But I always challenge an insurance renewal quote. I got £100 off my daughters car renewal this year, for example.

Just something to keep in mind. We insure my daughters car in advance of renewal and in the mean time she decided to swap it. The new car was over a gran insurance compared to £450 for the old one. Rang up and they charged £150 for the switch over, this was all before her other insurance was due. Therefore grands worth for £600. I've had that happen before when I added my daughter onto the wife's policy. £30 to add her early on in the policy life. An extra £150 at renewal tie to keep her on. That was Direct Line.

#10 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:33 pm

That sounds like a plan :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic