• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 averse

averse

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 June 2021 - 07:14 pm

Hello, my name is Adam.  I have been rebuilding/modifying a 1992 TDM850 for the better part of the last year.  In the process I found a vendor in the Netherlands that offers a Mikuni flatside carb kit as a drop in replacement for the original CV Mikuni carbs (having read all the emulsion tube and carb issues with the MK1) I thought perhaps this would be a worthwhile investment/upgrade?  In any case I received the new flatsides, and the transaction was very smooth, no issues, with a pair of spare main jets and new throttle cables.  Fast forward 9 months and I am ready to fit the carbs.  Everything looked like it would be straight forward, but it seems that the throttle cables are in conflict with the ignition coil on the rider's left inside frame ...so to the question, has anyone fit the Mikuni Flatside carb kit to an early TDM850?...and if yes, was there any issues with the fitment?

I have tried several times to email and even call the vendor, but the attempts to reach him or get a response have gone  unanswered.  It has been a couple of weeks and I am not here to draw any negative attention on the vendor, perhaps he is on an extended vacation? Simply looking for some direction on either what the kit should have been fitted with or what others have done to fit this carb kit.

Thank anyone in advance for any insight!

Respectfully,

Adam

Attached Files

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 19 June 2021 - 07:39 pm

Hi Adam and welcome.

It has been done before yes. Maybe a few people here but a lonng time ago. There may be some info in the search facility.

The fact it has been done before may give you some hope..but the details of how may be harder to find. Some on ear with better memories might be able to help...like wee man Eccles.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:08 pm

Hi and welcome Adam. Lovely clean bike you have there. :)

Dandy fitted Mikuni TDMR40 flatside carbs to his TRX and said Mikuni do bracketry to move the throttle to where you need it. 

See here http://www.carpe-tdm...30816&hl=keihin

He got a bracket from Allens performance

https://www.allenspe...k/products.html

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:24 pm

AHH yes sorry, was the FCR41s I were thunkin of.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 averse

averse

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:29 pm

Thank You for the reply.  I have tried searching with key word flatsides and I found one reference to FCR on a high performance head for sale, but none other.  I suspect the vendor has all the answers if I could reach him, but I see the kit is still available on the site, so I was optimistic I was not the only one who had ever gone this direction...thanks again, holding out for more replies as I have no other obvious options.

Adam

Attached Files

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:30 pm

No, you were right Daps.  Most are Keihin but Dandy fitted Mikuni.

Edited my previous post.

EDIT: Nice project, what swingarm is that ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 averse

averse

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:36 pm

Hi and welcome Adam. Lovely clean bike you have there. :)

Dandy fitted Mikuni TDMR40 flatside carbs to his TRX and said Mikuni do bracketry to move the throttle to where you need it. 

See here http://www.carpe-tdm...30816&hl=keihin

He got a bracket from Allens performance

https://www.allenspe...k/products.html

Thank You very very much!...I will reach out to them on Monday.

No, you were right Daps.  Most are Keihin but Dandy fitted Mikuni.

Edited my previous post.

EDIT: Nice project, what swingarm is that ?

It is from the XTZ750...we never got those here in US and I got tired of waiting for the T700, so I tried to do something along those lines....best I could.

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:42 pm

Very nice with the spoked wheels. :good:

#9 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 09:21 pm

There's a guy on the Tdm fb page who has flatslides on his 3vd and his tuning business is in the Nederlands. Maybe he could help, unless he's the guy you brought the carbs from! In any case, if trying to re-route the cable doesnt work then you'd Need some longer cables made.

#10 averse

averse

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 11:17 pm

There's a guy on the Tdm fb page who has flatslides on his 3vd and his tuning business is in the Nederlands. Maybe he could help, unless he's the guy you brought the carbs from! In any case, if trying to re-route the cable doesnt work then you'd Need some longer cables made.

The mechanism where the cables fix to the carb is touching the ignition coil.  One might be able to get the top cable in, but not the bottom return cable... I am not on Facebook (FB I assume is Facebook).  The vendor has responded to other questions concerning this and other purchases in the past, but I have not been able to reach him for the last several weeks.  Honestly I feel like he is either on an extended vacation or perhaps something less positive has happened.  He has very positive reviews and feedback, and like I said there has been no falling out, I simply can not seem to get any response to emails, or messages on his contact page or even phone calls to his shop during his business hours...it is very odd.  I believe there is a different bracket that should have been fitted and this is a simple mistake, but I do not have an idea of the correct part, or a catalog to look through to find something to work...I believe someone has the answer, thus the request.  The contact for Allen's Performance is very promising since they offer a kit in both the Mikuni and Keihin for the early TDM850's so I hope to get the answer and the solution on Monday.

I do appreciate all the responses and willingness to help a complete stranger solve a problem.

Adam

Attached Files

#11 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 June 2021 - 09:30 pm

You need the bending mallet :)

Seriously though, great looking bike.:)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#12 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,354 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 21 June 2021 - 06:45 am

Looking good with the wheels and swinger! :good:

How about moving the coil a wee bit with a couple of 90 degree brackets just enough to clear the cable mount.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#13 Dickiebig

Dickiebig

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 176 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 24 June 2021 - 11:04 pm

Looking good with the wheels and swinger! :good:
How about moving the coil a wee bit with a couple of 90 degree brackets just enough to clear the cable mount.

My thoughts or is there not enough room. Then some longer cables???

#14 averse

averse

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 12:47 am

ok...well I contacted Allen's Performance on Monday, and spoke with a very nice gentleman who directed me to a photograph of the same kit, Mikuni carbs and the throttle cables essentially mount from the bottom side (float bowl end of carb) v.s. the current setup that is on the top side of the carb (inline with the slide at top).  However he informed me that Allen's had just received an large order and they were very busy and suggested I call back in about a week and speak with the owner...not sure if they will sell me the required bracket and cable to for my kit, or they will ask me to purchase their entire kit to resolve my issue.  Upon further investigation the original vendor offers this same setup, but it is listed for the Ducati version, so I assume it was just a mix up, but I still have not been able to reach this original vendor, I hope Allen's will come through next week.

As far as the suggestions to relocate the coil...I believe the mounting tab on the frame would still be in the way and I do not want to cut on the frame at this point since it has already been modified and powder coated...the flatsides are not THAT important to me and if cutting the frame is my only option I have a nice set of original CV carbs I can use instead., BUT thank You for the suggestions!

Attached are the different cable mount options, the first is what I hope is the correct solution from Allen's website:

The second pic is from the original vendor's site, and what I currently have.

Attached Files

Edited by averse, 25 June 2021 - 01:58 am.

#15 Dickiebig

Dickiebig

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 176 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 27 June 2021 - 03:39 pm

Keep us all updated as to your progress. I for one very much hope you have s successful outcome

#16 averse

averse

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:08 pm

As an update:  The original supplier finally got back to me explaining that he had contacted Mikuni directly and that in fact the carb kit he supplied is the correct kit, and that Mikuni says that in fact one must move the coil location to utilize the carb kit.  I have not had any further discussions with Allen's.  As info the Keihin FCR kit for the TDM has the throttle cables coming from the riders right side of the carbs rather than riders left like the Mikuni. 

I have accepted the challenge to reconfigure my current carb kit to have the cable pull located in the center of the carbs like the OEM.  I will try to remember to post up when I have had success or failure?  For now the original CV carbs have been completely overhauled (all new jets, emulsion tubes, diaphragms, needles, o rings, gaskets, choke assemblies...) and reinstalled on the project.  After carefully setting the new floats and balancing, the bike runs great.

It seems fitting that I started this project two years ago, spitefully, because I wanted a parallel twin "adventure" bike from Yamaha, and here in the US we had to wait a year longer than You folks across the pond for the T700, that the T700 is readily available now.  But, the bike is done, and I love it!

Thank You for suggestions!  This forum rocks!

Attached Files

#17 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:17 pm

Nice looking bike

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#18 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:20 pm

Wow  :badgerrock: excellent.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#19 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:24 pm

Bike looks great, hats off to you. :good:  Just needs a Carpe-TDM sticker :D

#20 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 07:24 pm

Very neato

Hope you get the flatsides sorted. I will point wee Eccles in this direction to see if he has input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users