42 replies to this topic

#1 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:50 am

I like my TDM but my two-up ride on it last summer could have seen the local physiotherapy industry sky-rocket due to my girlfriend. 

She was NOT comfortable.

The main issue is that she had to sit absolutely still and stare at the back of my lid.  If she relaxed, buffeting would set in and both our heads would be wobbling back and forth.

Her gut tells her that if she were sitting higher, and perhaps a bit further back, she'd have been OK.

So this means either my seat needs to go down, hers needs to be higher or a combination of both

So my questions to you are:

has anyone ever had a custom seat made for them?

what changes did you need/want?

did it make a positive difference?

who made the seat adjustments?

The only other option is to sell the TDM and look for an FJR or RT type dedicated tourer.

Thoughts?

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 08:03 am

Buy her a CBT and Honda CG125 ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 June 2021 - 08:13 am

Someone in the past had their seat modified for his son to sit on the back.  He had it raised so the lad could see in front of him, I think he used to literally feel sick looking at the scenery flash by at the side.  Seemed to work iirc.

Another option might be to cut the screen down to help reduce buffeting.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 June 2021 - 08:17 am

I like my TDM but my two-up ride on it last summer could have seen the local physiotherapy industry sky-rocket due to my girlfriend. 

She was NOT comfortable.

The main issue is that she had to sit absolutely still and stare at the back of my lid.  If she relaxed, buffeting would set in and both our heads would be wobbling back and forth.

Her gut tells her that if she were sitting higher, and perhaps a bit further back, she'd have been OK.

So this means either my seat needs to go down, hers needs to be higher or a combination of both

The only other option is to sell the TDM and look for an FJR or RT type dedicated tourer.

Thoughts?

Exactly my story. To improve her experience I bought a TopSellerie seat with +2 inches on pillion cushion, which made it worse. The last ride we made together I made up a 2" cushion to lift me a bit so she could see beneath my helmet. An improvement, but still not good.

it was on that very trip she tried an MC for the first time, and bought one to start practicing the week after. She was just bored from looking into my helmet for hours.... now enjoing riding n her own  :P

Bjørge

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 21 June 2021 - 08:24 am

She was NOT comfortable.

Thoughts?

we need to see a pic of yer partner so we can advise accurately.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 21 June 2021 - 08:48 am

Try a temporary pad/cushion to see if giving her some more height makes a difference first.  A couple of squares cut out of a camping rollmat work well.

Also as Studley says the screen can make a big difference.

Buy her a CBT and Honda CG125 ?

that's what I did, followed by a Diversion 600  :lol:

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 09:11 am

we need to see a pic of yer partner so we can advise accurately.

Do I detect an ulterior motive?  :um:  

Exactly my story. To improve her experience I bought a TopSellerie seat with +2 inches on pillion cushion, which made it worse. The last ride we made together I made up a 2" cushion to lift me a bit so she could see beneath my helmet. An improvement, but still not good.

it was on that very trip she tried an MC for the first time, and bought one to start practicing the week after. She was just bored from looking into my helmet for hours.... now enjoing riding n her own  :P

So upgrading/altering the seat was a failure?

#8 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 09:20 am

On my part (bum) it was a success, elevating pillion was not. Maybe because her upper body is some 8" shorter than mine....

Bjørge

#9 ric

ric

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 190 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 21 June 2021 - 09:46 am

Single seat or second TDM :)

#10 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 June 2021 - 09:52 am

I found with my experience with pillions is that certain helmets have worse buffeting characteristics than others. Also, if the pillions helmet is close to yours, it makes it worse. If she sits high enough to be above yours, it will create its own problems.

#11 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 June 2021 - 09:59 am

[quote name="SeizedBalt" post="389008" timestamp="1624266672"]

LOL!

#12 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:07 am

On my part (bum) it was a success, elevating pillion was not. Maybe because her upper body is some 8" shorter than mine....

She and I are both 173cm

#13 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:14 am

She and I are both 173cm

...then an elevated pillion part could do it  :good:

Bjørge

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:14 am

Don't tell him Pike!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#15 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:41 am

I'm pleading the 5th amendment!

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#16 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:53 am

I'm pleading the 5th amendment!

A Devon gent, invoking the US constitution to cop a closer look at an Estonian girl.... the plot thickens!

#17 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,251 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:57 am

A Devon gent, invoking the US constitution to cop a closer look at an Estonian girl.... the plot thickens!

Wonder how many are waiting for said pic? :rotflmmfao:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#18 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 11:27 am

Wonder how many are waiting for said pic? :rotflmmfao:

i'm frothing at the mouth  loike a rabid fox  :lol:

#19 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,354 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 21 June 2021 - 11:27 am

I wish I'd thought of it.....

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#20 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 21 June 2021 - 08:29 pm

…….just to lob in an alt. suggestion…….though not relevant to ‘pillion buffeting’

This here man mountain only amounts to 160cm…..so I sculpted the seat to drop me down and ensure non tippy-toe stability / confidence when approaching ‘at rest’

….needed only an electric carving knfe and a staplegun……see the ‘rough guide’ previously posted on here, or I can repost.

So consider dropping the pilot rather than hoisting the pillion……..Just Saying

Seat still v. comfortable (850 4TX)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users