#1 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:15 pm

We recently bought the Sena 20S dual system from Sportsbikeshop.co.uk at the competitive price of £298 (since gone up to £344).  There was a 3 week wait as they were out of stock at the time but it was worth it.

They took a bit of fiddling around to get the perfect fit in our Shoei GT Air lids.  I had a look on YouTube and then did it my own way!  We stripped out the lid internals and spent a good deal of time fitting the best attachment for the job (there are dozens of alternatives) and came up with a satisfactory fit including no extra pressure on our lug oles in already "snug helmets".  Using one of the self adhesive velcro attachments, the speakers are secured to the inside of the shell of the lids, and fit perfectly into the ready-made recesses.  

The kit comes with a multitude of sticky pads, foam spacers etc so the options are manifold.  There's a boom mic which attached straight to the unit on a bendy rod, a wired mic which is just that, made of flexible wire and also a combination of the 2 so you have a choice of 3 mics in all.   The boom mic which is recommended, worked fine with our lids. 

We have secured all wires out of sight and only cut one very small nick in part of the cheek pad that inserts into the side of the lid, between the lining and the shell, to get a really tidy job.  The base unit itself is clamped very securely to the shell of the lid and the main body of the device is detachable from it's clamped base at the push of a button.

There are a lots and lots of features and controls with the Sena 20S, not all of which we have learned or used yet.  Neither of us are good at following written instructions, preferring to just go out and work it out ourselves.  The units came ready paired and it took a few minutes to pair them with our phones. We have noted the serial numbers of each unit and keeping one each so phone pairing won't be an issue. I wanted to try listening to music from my phone but realised, having just replaced my phone that none of my music was downloaded and wasn't going to eat up my data.  Annoying! 

The sound quality was excellent, even with ear plugs in, up to 70 mph.  Not that we go faster than 70 mph but I would imagine ambient noise would drown out any conversation beyond that point. :ph34r: I would have liked just a wee bit more volume but it was more than adequate on all but motorway speeds.

It added great value to our 200 mile spin down to Eastbourne and back today.  I discovered that I can be abusive to bad drivers by proxy, by yelling rude words which were heard by anyone close enough to BSM's bike.   BSM decided that if he was challenged, he would have to say his wife has Tourettes and that he hears her voice in his head.   :notfunny:

Battery life is excellent.  We left the house at 0930 this morning, returning at 0430 and they were still going strong.  They also come with 12v coiled lead so if you do run short of juice, they can be plugged into a 12v accessory socket on the bike. They also have USB leads.  Range seems good too and although we were never more than around 500 yards apart the sound quality wasn't affected.  The voice activation is also instant with no delay. 

They may well be a bit overkill for what we need as I don't get many calls and not fussed if I miss one or two in any case.  I'm looking forward to sorting out the music side.  I've always enjoyed listening to music on long hauls but struggled with uncomfortable ear plugs in the past.  I'll report back once I've worked out how to use some other features.

Edited by Kelpie, 10 April 2016 - 05:50 pm.

You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:37 am

Oh your going to love music through that, i have the smh10 for four years now, best piece of kit i ever bought, well apart from the new kettle  :)  having problems fitting it to a new Shark helmet now, it's not ideal at all, may have to get something smaller but very reluctant as the Sena is a quality item.. sm5 maybe !!

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users