#41 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:07 am

QUOTE(winnie @ Thu 6th Nov 2008, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As my little girl is only 3 days old, when I get a moment I will get a couple of photo's posted.....honest

As nice babies are and I'm sure yours is beautiful just like mine was 12 years ago she has now turned into a female version of Harry Enfield's Kevin!! rotflmmfao.gif

We would prefer pics of hand guards not Ankle bighters... good.gif tongue.gif

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#42 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:16 pm

Just finished fitting my guards (R1150GS ones - 36 squids from fleabay).

Had to do one tiny modification to them, as the master cylinder banjo meant I couldn't get them high enough.

Will do some pics in better light over the weekend.

I had to cut off the round bit on the end of the clutch lever as it was hitting the inside of the guard (due to a slightly worn lever pivot). Have worn my summer gloves to work and arrived with luvverly not-cold hands.

Edited by BN2TDM, 09 November 2008 - 03:44 pm.

Who on earth made me get a ZX9R???? I'll get 'em....

#43 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:05 pm

Just got an email from Busters (well, their off-road department), they've got cheapified offers on Venom hand guards if anyone's having a winter tweak-fest...

Offroad Bikestore

1996 TDM850 in Yellow, Motad Nexxus, MK1 bashplate, Acerbis handguards, K&N, Xenons, Aux lamps, Bluespot calipers, Renthal 755 bars, DIY panniers, JBX-inspired gear indicator.  (Currently not on the road.)

Bikes wot I have had and dun't have any more: 1983 Honda CB125TDC, 1976 Kawasaki S1C (early KH250 stroker triple), 1986 Honda VF500F2, 1992 Kawasaki KLE500.

#44 Gcclinux

Gcclinux

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 132 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:24 pm

QUOTE(caerbannog @ Sat 17th Jan 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just got an email from Busters (well, their off-road department), they've got cheapified offers on Venom hand guards if anyone's having a winter tweak-fest...

Offroad Bikestore

Can you believe I still have not done my yet..... well I am still looking for a pair of black ones and the offroad store has a number pf colors but no black sad.gif

Anyway sooner of later i'll get it done thanks for the link though good prices there.

Rico
Honda Fireblade 900RR '99' (Red Bull - Blue & Red)
Yamaha Fazer 600 '02' (Black & Yellow)
Yamaha Fazer FZ6 '05' (Silver)
Yamaha TDM 900 '08' (Black)

Yamaha TDM 900 '12' (Gun Metal Gray)

#45 JamJar

JamJar

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 172 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:22 am

and for the more creative ones on here , renault laguna door mirror covers are just the right shape , just need a bracket making up , i did have 64 pairs of these from the williams touring car a few years back , as usual threw them out last year and just noticed the shape of them on a car outside , bugger
Previous; Kwaka zx10 GSXR Hybrid , ZXR750, Z750,Z400, Honda CB750, CB400, CB250, Yamaha TZR 125 , DT50, 1957 Phillips Gadabout "deluxe" 49 cc pedal and go, scariest thing i ever rode

#46 MotoBloke

MotoBloke

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 191 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:22 pm

Just fitted the new BarkBuster line called 'VPS' hand guards, with Protaper 7/8ths 'ATV Hi' 'bars.

No clearance problems. As the 'bars are near two inches higher and leant back, I had to reroute the left switchblock wires and choke cable and clutch cable - but all are fine now - without any lengthening. Orig brake hose needed a little tweeking but also fine now.

Here's some pix. Now I just need the yellow/silver colour scheme to match the handguards...

MotoBloke
www.ShineMyBike.com
Sinny, Ostraya
98 TDM850L 4TX series aka Mk2a 146000km
Tiger screen; Laser ProStock exhaust; large old Givi topbox; ProTaper ATV 'bars; BarkBusters with Storm guards; CoyoteMoto crash knobs; Aldi GoCruise GPS; Michelin Pilot Road 3 tyres.
Previous loves:
Suzuki DL650 V-Strom K6; Honda XL600VH Transalp X 2; Suzuki GS500; Yam XTZ750 Super Tenere; Yam FJ1200U; MotoGuzzi V65 Lario; Kawa KLR600; Honda XL350 RF.

post-1-1150559830.gif

#47 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:28 pm

Cor, your bars are almost chopper angle, way back!

#48 Mike551

Mike551

arrived on last train

• 4 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:31 pm

Just fitted a set of Acerbis Dual Road Handguards purchased from www.roadbikebitz.com to my 2002 TDM900. Simply unscrewed bar end weights and screwed on the handguards with the fitting kit supplied.

http://www.roadbikeb...rds-p-8669.html

Although only attached at bar end they are just the job and secure at 80+ mph and even at three figure speed (when on Autobahn of course) rolleyes.gif

There are other suppliers however I was very happy with the service from RoadBikeBitz.

#49 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:46 am

I fitted a set of KTM Adventure 950/990 handguards, I picked up cheap yesterday

KTM Info
(Fits all 950/990 Adventure, 950 Super Enduro, 690 Enduro, 690 SMC, XR100s too!
part #: 6000207910030)

http://www.ktmtwins....0207910030.html

I drilled and tapped the bar end weights to M6x1.0

Note I have also fitted a R6 master cylinder to match my R6 bluespot calipers, I'm not sure if the guards will fit over the original master cylinder.

they need a bit of a clean up, but I think they should work OK

More photos here

http://www.flickr.co...s/47339542@N08/

Edited by hammerman, 25 April 2010 - 07:47 am.

#50 basscollection

basscollection

sticking around

• 34 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:29 pm

I fitted handguards on my 2007 TDM 900.
The handguards I bought were Suzuki V-Strom K4-K9 Hand guards set, with a bit of modification they fit as a glove!
Picked them up from ebay for GBP 45 incl freight (new, in fact they came from http://www.alfordbros.co.uk/ )
No modification nessecary on your bike what so ever.

You need:
A small round file (see pic 1)
A bigger flat file.
A set of roofing Bolts & Nuts M6x50 (5 or so, you need only two but it's handy do have 2 nuts on each site)
A set of hard plastic tap wahsers (see pic 2)
A bit of patience.

The main 2 things you need to do:

1) The hand guards-holes are not big enough to grip around the handlebar ends (see pic 2), so you need make it larger. Do it carefully so the handlebar end should fit in tightly, and of course keep the open space narrow, because the handlebar end should not be able to flip out from there! On the first pic you can see I did the right one already. Just have a handle bar end ready, keep filing and trying fitting it until it goes through, but fits tightly.

2) Now the handlbars fit nicely through the handguards, but you need spacers, because there is not enough room for the guards between the handlebar ends and the grips. If you would try to fit it now, you would tighten the trottle bar, you don't want that of course. I did not find any spacers to fit, so I made my own ones, used hard plastic tap washers which you can pick up from your local B & Q. See 2nd pic. You need a bit of patience to get the spacers exactly right, as the hole needs to be wide, but the overal diameter needs to be reduced! So I used the flat file for reducing the overal diameter.

I needed 2 spacers on each side. See above, one original washer, two modified of which one is fitted over the handle bar end.

3) Now you're done.
You will find that both handguards fit exactly where screws are on the mirror holders (the left guard is actually quite different from the right one), take original screw out and use a roof bolt M6x50. In fact for the right side I used a bold which came with the set, but this is all open to a bit of improvisation. You can see the bolt in the last two pics, which is the left side.

I am really happy with those, as you can see they are nice and neutral, and they look like they really gonna protect the hands from some rain - and best off all, they are fitted rock solid!

Sorry for orange fluf... I am Dutch and currently in the World Championships footbal is in full flow....

Edited by basscollection, 27 June 2010 - 11:16 am.

#51 alunl

alunl

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:44 pm

That's almost exactly the way I fitted Vstrom gards to my Mk2 850. The only difference was I used a soldering iron to make the guards fit into the bar end weights instead of a file.
The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
~ Bertrand Russell 1950

#52 basscollection

basscollection

sticking around

• 34 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:09 am

QUOTE(alunl @ Sat 26th Jun 2010, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's almost exactly the way I fitted Vstrom gards to my Mk2 850. The only difference was I used a soldering iron to make the guards fit into the bar end weights instead of a file.

They fit great don't they?
Did you need spacers as well - if so what did you use?

#53 Jocke

Jocke

arrived on last train

• 5 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:04 am

Hi there!

I want handguards to my TDM 900 2008 with the stock handlebar.
What do you suggest?

Suzuki Dl1000 handguards?
BMW R1150GS handguards?
KTM xxxx handguards??
--------------------
TDM 900 A 2008 mod.:
New screen with a Hero 1080 HD camera, black cross-handlebare with 30mm raisers, Remus Revoultion cans, KTM handguard, motorcycle Grip Heater, Stainless TDM radiator cover, Belly pan, Givi Engine guard

#54 Jocke

Jocke

arrived on last train

• 5 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:10 am

Does anyone know if this acerbis solution fits on a TDM 900 2008 with the stock handlebar?

/Jocke

QUOTE(NigelB @ Sat 9th Feb 2008, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've now added spoilers to the Acerbis on my Mk2 900 and they work well. Late January, 30+ miles in summer gloves and I can still feel my fingers.

Pics at:
http://i241.photobuc...et/IMGP1484.jpg
http://i241.photobuc...et/IMGP1485.jpg
http://i241.photobuc...et/IMGP1486.jpg
http://i241.photobuc...et/IMGP1487.jpg

It's sunny - I'm off out....

--------------------
TDM 900 A 2008 mod.:
New screen with a Hero 1080 HD camera, black cross-handlebare with 30mm raisers, Remus Revoultion cans, KTM handguard, motorcycle Grip Heater, Stainless TDM radiator cover, Belly pan, Givi Engine guard

#55 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:39 am

Should think so, as that's a 9er in the photo's, and I don't think there are any major changes from inception to current as far as shape.
MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#56 ChrisH

ChrisH

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 137 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:14 pm

hi does anyone know if these will fit an 850, they work on the 900

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...TRK:MESINDXX:IT

#57 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:27 pm

Due to fitting a Bagster tank cover, my KTM guards clash with the clips on the cover. So I've just order a set of these, should sort out that wee problem.

#58 thunder

thunder

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:50 am

QUOTE(NigelB @ Tue 11th Sep 2007, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After reading many threads about which varieties need which modification to fit, I found an answer with Demon Tweeks. They supplied me with a pair of Acerbis Rally brushguards and a universal fitting kit £35 incl p&p which were ordered on Thursday, delivered on Saturday and installed shortly afterwards. They mounted pretty easily and clear all cables etc on my standard 2002 900. Expanding plug fits easily into the bar end once the original weights have come off and the clamps supplied for the inner end of the guards fit with only a little gentle persuasion. May not be everyone's idea of style but compared to some of the modifications others have done, these work for me.
I've got pics of the result for anyone interested.

Nigel B smile.gif

Hi Nigel i agree that the acerbis is the less complicated solution, i drive a 09 tdm 900 and probably go for the acerbis option, just a question about your win jammer, i guess is the original yamaha one right? But the touring or the shorter one? Many thanks and regards!!!

#59 magneto

magneto

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 65 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:12 pm

I haven't actually fitted them yet, but, did you all know genuine Yamaha XT1200 handguards are only about £12+VAT each?
The actual bracketry is relatively cheap too but being a skinflint I'm going to make mine. Need to put an M6 threaded hole in the bar weights is the only real work as such. How can a £13000 bike have such great value guards? Better hurry lads before Yamaha realise their lost opportunity.....

#60 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:19 pm

http://www.carpe-tdm...o...c=19687&hl=
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users