6 replies to this topic

#1 josepgoncalves

josepgoncalves

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:58 am

Hi there

My ride just reached the 100K and I'm planning a deeper maintenance and checkup.

As per Yamaha service manual the synchronization of the throttle bodies should be done without the air filter, but in the JBX bible it is recommended to do it with the air filter in place.

Any advice on this?

Thanks

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,745 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:07 am

Cant say which is right but mine were always done with air filter in-situ..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 27 May 2019 - 02:23 pm

You could adjust without the airbox fitted and then fit the airbox and check the readings to see if they have changed.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:01 am

As long as the air filter is clean, I can't see why you would sync without the filter? You drive with the filter in place, so it seems logical to make sure they are in sync with the filter fitted... 

#5 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:40 am

As long as the air filter is clean, I can't see why you would sync without the filter? You drive with the filter in place, so it seems logical to make sure they are in sync with the filter fitted... 

I always did it with the filter fitted. Never gave it thoughts, but you indeed want it to run well with filter fitted indeed. Suppose the air is not distruibuted evenly with the filter(s). Still the throttle valves would compensate for that, and the engine would run well.

With the filter off, you can however tell if any big synch issues are there, when lifting the slides manually and looking at the butterfly valve openings (any clear difference). When the engine is not running of course. So you could do that check beforehand.

#6 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:27 pm

It would make no difference - both bodies draw from the same filter - just make sure there are no vacuum pipes disconnected

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#7 josepgoncalves

josepgoncalves

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:18 am

Thanks for suggestions.

I've done the sync yesterday.

For my surprise, after 100K,  they wad the exact same value. This is a great machine!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users