dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:20 pm

QUOTE(Doc @ Tue 28th Nov 2006, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shouldn't a worn tyre increase the apparent speed on the TDM dial and Bike counter? But I agree - the tyre size will affect the TDM dial and Bike clock, by ~2% per 5mm difference. The figures all seem pretty close to me.

I think my TDM may be over estimating, at least based on milage. I went to see my mum last Thursday - 208mlie round trip on the TDM. My wife went to see her mum on Friday - 198 mile round trip in the car. And HER mum lives a mile further past my mum! blink.gif Perhaps I'll follow Edman's example and fit a few more speedo's.

Ermmmm.......thats my point Doc - and bring the bike and pushbike speedo up to the real GPS reading............... rolleyes.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#22 Sparra

Sparra

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:41 am

maybe you spun the wheels more than she did!

QUOTE(Doc @ Wed 29th Nov 2006, 07:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shouldn't a worn tyre increase the apparent speed on the TDM dial and Bike counter? But I agree - the tyre size will affect the TDM dial and Bike clock, by ~2% per 5mm difference. The figures all seem pretty close to me.

I think my TDM may be over estimating, at least based on milage. I went to see my mum last Thursday - 208mlie round trip on the TDM. My wife went to see her mum on Friday - 198 mile round trip in the car. And HER mum lives a mile further past my mum! blink.gif Perhaps I'll follow Edman's example and fit a few more speedo's.

2002 TDM900. BMW 1150gs handguards, Oxford heated grips, Staintune exhausts, airbox mod, re-moulded seat, bar risers, Powerlec adaptor, bluetooth, 2way comms, K & N filter, Nonfango hard luggage, center stand, polished alloy wheels, (I'm not gunna)crash knobs

#23 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:49 am

QUOTE(Sparra @ Wed 29th Nov 2006, 02:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
maybe you spun the wheels more than she did!

the 50mile detour thru the twisties probably didnt help.....

....either that or is wasnt her mum she was visiting unsure.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#24 Doc

Doc

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:09 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Wed 29th Nov 2006, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the 50mile detour thru the twisties probably didnt help.....

....either that or is wasnt her mum she was visiting unsure.gif

The wife says I must have been weaving a lot. Not sure if she means 'filtering' or 'wobbling'.

I'm not even going to notice the other comment rotflmmfao.gif

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Wed 29th Nov 2006, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ermmmm.......thats my point Doc - and bring the bike and pushbike speedo up to the real GPS reading............... rolleyes.gif

OK - but it sounded like you thought Edman's tyre WAS worn giving the discrepancy - in which case his indicated speed should have already been above that of the GPS... huh.gif

Maybe I'll just go visit my mum again...

#25 Sparra

Sparra

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:48 pm

After all the discussions are you any wiser regarding your chain?
2002 TDM900. BMW 1150gs handguards, Oxford heated grips, Staintune exhausts, airbox mod, re-moulded seat, bar risers, Powerlec adaptor, bluetooth, 2way comms, K & N filter, Nonfango hard luggage, center stand, polished alloy wheels, (I'm not gunna)crash knobs

#26 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:03 am

QUOTE(Doc @ Thu 30th Nov 2006, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The wife says I must have been weaving a lot. Not sure if she means 'filtering' or 'wobbling'.

OK - but it sounded like you thought Edman's tyre WAS worn giving the discrepancy - in which case his indicated speed should have already been above that of the GPS... huh.gif

I think we're thinking along the same rlines doc..................I'm just surprised the speedo is so accurate - they usually read way over at that speed.

QUOTE(Doc @ Thu 30th Nov 2006, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we're thinking along the same lines doc..................I'm just surprised the speedo is so accurate - they usually read way over at that speed.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#27 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:53 pm

QUOTE(bondy @ Tue 28th Nov 2006, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Edman
You need to get Paddy back to finnish yer drive. tongue.gif

use a capital F ya race ist rotflmmfao.gif laugh.gif

edit; errr he's right though Edman !!!

Edited by wicklamulla, 01 December 2006 - 06:54 pm.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#28 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:18 am

good.gif

Interesting reading about speedo variations.

After a lengthy ride with a "Dominator" friend of mine & before you say any more it as a Honda Dominator,
we travelled the same roads at the same speeds but had different odometre readings.

From my past life as a rally navigator, there is usually an Odometre check location in your district.

I would recommend doing an internet search or contact your local car clubs direct to find out where you can check your Odometre .

After our ride I rode the regulation 7.5km and found my odometre was reading 10% over with the current tyres. So whenever I change the front tyre I will ride the route and then have my base readings.

Good Luck

drinks.gif

#29 Edman

Edman

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 157 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:39 pm

Thanks for all the answers!

As far as chain is concerned, I remain a little uncertain

- pulls off sprocket as in pic
- rear sprocket looks fine and is original
- front sprocket I changed about 10,000 miles ago - so is aftermarket one, but it looks fine
- I think chain is original, I've had the bike for 18,000 of its 30,000 mile life and not changed it

so, from what yous say, its probably close to death but not fooked so far- will change the lot in spring me reckons.

Question about GPS giving false reading is related to variety of things;

- in me car, 130 kmh on the speedo gets 128kmh to 130kmh on the GPS (allowing for width of needle). Unless I have the most exact speedo in history (volkswagen speedo in a Seat), I started thinking that SatNavs have their speeds "rigged" to avoid you going faster as you were reassured the needle was overreading by 5-10%.
- when I put SatNav on bike, and if I do 100 kmh on the TDM dial, the bike counter shows a real speed of 98 kmh, while the TomTom Shitenav shows 103 kmh?? blink.gif huh.gif

so i reckoned if GPS gave 100% real reading, then logic would say:

130 kmh car speedo, then approx 117-123 kmh on GPS
100 kmh on bike speedo, then approx 90-95 kmh on GPS - bike counter I expected to be more accurate than speedo, but not neccessarily 100% spot on , which it sort of is, based on Dandy's calculation of tyre diameter

So unless bike speedo under-reads and the car speedo is dead on, then I reckon SatNav is rigged to give 5-10% over-read just like car and bike speedos ! sad.gif

So there! hmmmm.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users