#1 apw99

apw99

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:35 am

My exhaust has been getting a bit louder which is fine as it is all standard, but it sounds like the starship is on the way out. Is it possible to replace the starship with two two link pieces to join each downpipe to each silencer? Are these readily available or will they need to be custom made?
Thanks
APW

Have you ever lent someone 20 quid and never seen it again? It was probably worth it.

Long Loved TDM is no longer with me...

#2 MotoBloke

MotoBloke

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 191 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:24 am

Hi APW,
sure it's possible, but it would need to be custom made.
As I prepared some pix of a good original set of pipes (AKA USS Enterprise) recently, I'll share them here to help you. Note that it is not identical on both sides.
I'm running a Lazer Y-piece and cans... fruity and great improvement of low down torque. Include the drawing of that too...
You can see the Y-piece is two small mufflers too, not just a couple of pipes joined. dry.gif

PS I have this set, in great condition, for sale (in Australia). pimp.gif

Starship Enterprise (three shots)

Lazer ProStock

MotoBloke
www.ShineMyBike.com
Sinny, Ostraya
98 TDM850L 4TX series aka Mk2a 146000km
Tiger screen; Laser ProStock exhaust; large old Givi topbox; ProTaper ATV 'bars; BarkBusters with Storm guards; CoyoteMoto crash knobs; Aldi GoCruise GPS; Michelin Pilot Road 3 tyres.
Previous loves:
Suzuki DL650 V-Strom K6; Honda XL600VH Transalp X 2; Suzuki GS500; Yam XTZ750 Super Tenere; Yam FJ1200U; MotoGuzzi V65 Lario; Kawa KLR600; Honda XL350 RF.

post-1-1150559830.gif

#3 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:35 pm

It could be done I dare say, You may have to get the cubic volume of the collector box to be the same as that in the 2 link pipes however as it could effect fueling.

Could always try fixing it, My dad did a cracking job welding mine up.
http://www.carpe-tdm...e Is this post

After

My dad would like to mention he was only using a crappy welder and the metal in places was that bad as he was welding it was just burning right though. Hence the quality of the job.

Edited by LewisBlackburn, 22 April 2012 - 01:47 pm.

#4 MotoBloke

MotoBloke

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:41 am

APW and all,
by the way, Mk 1 and Mk 2 exhausts are fully interchangeable (ie; all the 850s). The only difference from model to model is some are not chrome-plated. The Lazer ProStock pipes I am running on my 1998 Mk2a (4TX) are from a wrecked 1992 Mk1 (3VD) model. good.gif

MotoBloke
www.ShineMyBike.com
Sinny, Ostraya
98 TDM850L 4TX series aka Mk2a 146000km
Tiger screen; Laser ProStock exhaust; large old Givi topbox; ProTaper ATV 'bars; BarkBusters with Storm guards; CoyoteMoto crash knobs; Aldi GoCruise GPS; Michelin Pilot Road 3 tyres.
Previous loves:
Suzuki DL650 V-Strom K6; Honda XL600VH Transalp X 2; Suzuki GS500; Yam XTZ750 Super Tenere; Yam FJ1200U; MotoGuzzi V65 Lario; Kawa KLR600; Honda XL350 RF.

post-1-1150559830.gif

#5 apw99

apw99

has been here 4ever

• 1,316 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:25 pm

Thanks guys for the responses. I would have imagined someone would be making a 'starship replacement piece' as this seems to be the weak point in the exhaust. I know a good metal fabricator so i will ask him when I see him and see what he thinks can be done.
Another thing that occured to me is why not join the downpipe 2->1 onto just ONE of the two cans and remove the other one? It reduces the weight and if the downpipe 2->1 is the bottleneck then maybe the one can has enough volume to flow the gases? Any engineers out there?
APW

Edited by apw99, 24 April 2012 - 07:25 pm.

Have you ever lent someone 20 quid and never seen it again? It was probably worth it.

#6 rathairthir

rathairthir

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:13 pm

HI APW

Not sure what parts of your " starship" are damaged but I have one that I removed from my 98 Mk 2. The inlet pipe is rotten and the can ends seem to have been filled with gungum at some stage but otherwise the box is solid and might get you out of a hole for a while. See pics.

Also pictured is a Nexxus system that I bought unseen which turned out to be useless ( down pipes crushed and end cans badly scratched) the only usable bit is this bit in the middle.

I have fitted a second hand 2 into 1 onto mine and doubt if ill be changing back so if any of the above is any use to you let me know and its yours... FOC...

#7 apw99

apw99

has been here 4ever

• 1,316 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:24 am

QUOTE(rathairthir @ Tue 24th Apr 2012, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HI APW

Not sure what parts of your " starship" are damaged but I have one that I removed from my 98 Mk 2. The inlet pipe is rotten and the can ends seem to have been filled with gungum at some stage but otherwise the box is solid and might get you out of a hole for a while. See pics.

Also pictured is a Nexxus system that I bought unseen which turned out to be useless ( down pipes crushed and end cans badly scratched) the only usable bit is this bit in the middle.

I have fitted a second hand 2 into 1 onto mine and doubt if ill be changing back so if any of the above is any use to you let me know and its yours... FOC...

Many thanks!
I might well take you up on that. My exhaust is just starting to 'burble' so it may be a while before I need to go at it, but I will certainly keep that parts stash in mind!
Cheers good.gif

#8 Chris

Chris

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:43 am

QUOTE(rathairthir @ Tue 24th Apr 2012, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any chance I could have this if Alex doesn't want it?

Cheers, Chris (G)

#9 rathairthir

rathairthir

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:00 am

Like I said Chris Its not really much good. Down pipes are kinked and crushed .The Rh silencer is grazed and the inlet pipe to the left is kinked and neither are in a very good condition. It came off a crashed Mk1 and I bought it unseen. but the middle bit is ok (will have to check again).
Its yours if Alex doesn't want...
will try get more pics today..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users