#21 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:50 pm

Moved to the ole Knowledge Base for those who cant see CB's blog.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#22 Guest_badger_*

Guest_badger_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:50 pm

CB,
Just changed plugs & air filter.
Wouldn't have had a scooby about getting to the plugs using the manual so thanks for the easy to use guide.
Cheers mate

Edited by badger, 20 March 2009 - 07:51 pm.

#23 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:21 pm

Nice user name and welcome badger.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#24 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:37 am

QUOTE(dapleb @ Fri 20th Mar 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice user name and welcome badger.

Ditto badgrock.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#25 rami

rami

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:00 pm

QUOTE(divvxj @ Sat 24th Jan 2009, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
excellent pictures good.gif and description good.gif as i will be doing this in a couple of weeks and i didnt realise that there were two drain bolts , drinks.gif

Great pictures and write up, i usually pay to get my bike serviced, but think i'll have a do myself next time blink.gif unsure.gif
Touring screen,front fenda extanda,touring scottoiler,engine guards,hand guards, givi v46 topbox, bagstar leather tank cover with tank bag.Belly pan fitted. Rack and backrest fitted to top box
Would like some louder cans(on the way, now fitted) and may be a power commander.

#26 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:51 pm

CB, used for techno for the plugs.

Many Thanks, job easy done good.gif
Cats

#27 raymac

raymac

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 61 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:38 am

Just done plug replacement / oil change. the pictures for plug change very handy, Many thanks good.gif , and as I had the side pannels off lifted the tank and did the air box mod as well.

By pure chance was given the wrong oil filter, but had already droped the oil out of bike. So had to leave bike at my mates bike shop ( having mate who owns motorcycle shop is very handy, but I want to do all work my self cos thats how you lern and save money ) so put housing and drain plugs back in/on , as bike may have to be moved around workshop wilst waiting for correct filter to come in the post. so next day go back and take out/off drain plugs housing and was expecting a wee drible of oil but about 50ml or more came out, so if you are going to change your oil don't be in a hurry best to leave it for a while, cos if had right filter would be running with some old crapy burnt oil mixed in.

#28 Fiasco

Fiasco

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 158 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:39 pm

Just changed the oil filter for the first time, thanks for the info CB

One problem, I couldn't get the gallery bolt undone, it is well hidden behind the frame, and my ring spanners were just chewing up the bolt - any tips anyone ?

In the meantime, any other warning signs I should look for if all is not as it should be ?

Thanks again

Dave

Edited by Fiasco, 06 September 2009 - 03:40 pm.

The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse to the trap gets the cheese !

#29 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:59 pm

Use a decent socket not a ringy ding spanner. It should not be that tight. Torque spex is only 10nm or something equally not overly tight.

#30 Fiasco

Fiasco

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:23 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sun 6th Sep 2009, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Use a decent socket not a ringy ding spanner. It should not be that tight. Torque spex is only 10nm or something equally not overly tight.

Hmm leaves me wondering if I am looking at the right bolt, because it is behind the frame with no chance of getting a socket on it ?

Dave
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse to the trap gets the cheese !

#31 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:27 pm

It is the right bolt Dave.
If you have rounded it off you will have to use a small stilsons or similar to undo it.

#32 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:32 pm

QUOTE(Fiasco @ Sun 6th Sep 2009, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it is behind the frame with no chance of getting a socket on it ?

Ah sowwy, must be a 9'er 'upgrade' to hide the bolt unsure.gif

#33 Fiasco

Fiasco

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:33 pm

QUOTE(celticbiker @ Sun 6th Sep 2009, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is the right bolt Dave.
If you have rounded it off you will have to use a small stilsons or similar to undo it.

Not going totally mad then !!

Thanks

Dave

#34 crispy

crispy

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:46 pm

QUOTE(Fiasco @ Sun 6th Sep 2009, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not going totally mad then !!

Thanks

Dave

I thought i was going mad last month when i was doing it aswell. Back 20 odd years ago when i used to rebuild honda 50 engines we used to loosen off one of the 4 studs that held the whole topend (barrel/head/rocker cover) together as this was an oilway and you could see the oil reaching the topend of the engine after a rebuild....I was expecting to see a bit more of a pressurised oil flow not the fast dribble that i got.... ohmy.gif
I don't like YZ250's anymore.........check out my avatar, one literally kicked me in the ass

#35 Onanist

Onanist

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:21 pm

Thanks, CB excellent instructions, changed oil and filter this afternoon.

I've got fresh coolant to go in so may take some piccys as I go and update.
My life in bikes (with the random oddity) Made it to 48 with no car licence : Yamaha DT50M, Yamaha RD250E, Honda Melody (stupid law changes), Honda NS125F, Yamaha FZ600, Yamaha TDM850 MKI, CZ 125, GSXR1100WP, Aprilia RS250, Yamaha TDM850 MKII, Yamaha YZF750, Honda FT500, Reliant Rialto, Suzuki DR250, Suzuki DR650, Sukida 200, Yamaha Thunderace, Yamaha TDM900 2003, Yamaha TDM850 MKI, Triumph Tiger 1050, Triumph Tiger Explorer

#36 roys

roys

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 173 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:19 pm

hi,

thank you very much for this. a huge help for somebody new to the TDM (did the BMW K100 maintanance myself but it is so different!).

I have asilly question (one of many to come) when asking local suppliers for parts I need to give them SKU's or clear part mfg and name at least.

can someone pls name /give SKU for the air filter and oil filter.

also - How does one go about replacing the fuel filter in this bike - is it in the tank? any write up about that?

thank you,
Roy

Thank you,
Roy
1987 K100 (2v)
2006 TDM 900

post-19792-0-23739400-1358674634_thumb.j

#37 tezmondo

tezmondo

sticking around

• 28 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:04 pm

Thanks that's great

By disconnecting the hoses - will fluid spill everywhere?

Or will you just lose a little and need to top up at the end?

Or do you need to drain the radiator and replace fluid?

ta

#38 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:19 pm

cheers CB, job done good.gif

ps. how good are those rickycross bars?
do they stop the panels touching down in the even of a drop?

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#39 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:42 am

Thanx Tony.
The Ricky Cross bars have done me proud on a 40mph road drop, an 'I forgot to put the sidestand down' drop and a reverse into it and knock it of the centre stand.
Are you coming to Snowjoke this weekend?
If so you can have a closer look at them.

#40 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:20 am

Sweet, see you there good.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users