• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:49 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Tue 3rd Jul 2007, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
really ?? thats handy to know.

Agreed - is it a solid fact?

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#42 Ormet

Ormet

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:47 pm

QUOTE(Galilee @ Tue 3rd Jul 2007, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bet there's a dash missing in there. It should read 1-5 minutes. As in; Minimum one, max 5 minutes.

Hayes manual says about 2 minutes, doesn't it?

Hmm, I did not wrote that. But cortez did...

#43 Galilee

Galilee

850 going for 900

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:51 pm

QUOTE(Ormet @ Tue 3rd Jul 2007, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm, I did not wrote that. But cortez did...

Just checked, Hayes just says 'to running temperature'when checking level, and to run it for 2 mins then stop for 10 sec. before checking oil level after oil change

Either way 15 minutes idling is probably a bit more than needed.

Edited by Galilee, 03 July 2007 - 08:53 pm.

Too Freud to rock'n'roll, too Jung to die.

#44 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,844 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:29 pm

QUOTE(cortez @ Tue 3rd Jul 2007, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting that the 900 can't be started if the level is too low, comforting too.

Pah, that's nothing: The superior 850 automatically stops running when the oil-level gets too low banana.gif

Idle: I suppose the oil must be pumped round quite quickly, but again I noticed the oil level drop when doing that when the bike is on the side stand: I suspect leaning the bike to the left will leave a part of the oil out of reach from the pumps that sit on the right side.
That was not a banana, Dougal

#45 tzolea

tzolea

seems to like Carpe

• 43 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:15 pm

TDM 850 1996 Service Manual Model 4TX-AE1

Attached File  oil_level_inspection.jpg   93.8KB   67 downloads

Yahoo ID: tdmist
Email: tzolea@yahoo.com

next stop... somewhere on the map!

If you pass by Campulung Muscel city in Romania, I am glad to offer you a place to sleep, to eat, to take a hot bath, to put your tent and tools for repairing or maintaining your bike.

Yamaha TDM 850 '97
Yamaha YZF 600 R Thundercat '97
Yamaha XT 600 '97
Yamaha FZR 600 '91
Yamaha FZ 250 '85
MZ 250 '84
Jawa 125cc '60

#46 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:28 pm

QUOTE(Galilee @ Tue 3rd Jul 2007, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bet there's a dash missing in there. It should read 1-5 minutes. As in; Minimum one, max 5 minutes.

Nope, if you do that you will overfill.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#47 starkmojo

starkmojo

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 51 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:06 pm

so anyone know what amount of oil to add if the dipstick is just at the "add" line? Mine isnt there yet but I am racking up the miles and it is a little low- 3/4s of the way between full and add. I would hate to overfill at some truck stop after all.

1993 TDM MK 1 850 D (US 49 state model)

Duncan

Edited by starkmojo, 31 May 2012 - 02:07 pm.

#48 matttdm99

matttdm99

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:56 pm

My bike used oil when I got it I changed it for some high end stuff we use in Honda's and I have done 2000 miles and its stayed the same :-)

#49 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:35 pm

It's so long since i checked me oil level biggrin.gif cant remember if the dipstick should be in for the Niner........ help.gif

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#50 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:15 pm

QUOTE(dablik @ Sun 15th Jul 2012, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's so long since i checked me oil level biggrin.gif cant remember if the dipstick should be in for the Niner........ help.gif

Don't screw it in and there's an arrow on the cap that points up.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#51 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:34 pm

Many thanks Chris good.gif

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#52 Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:41 pm

When changing oil and filter on a 3vd how much oil does it usualy need?

Mk1' R1 gold spot front calipers • HH sintered front pads • FJR1300 front master cylinder • K&N air filter • Factory Pro emulsion tubes • Oxford heated grips • Mirror extenders • KTM handguards • Baglux tank cover and bag. 12v auxiliary socket • Delkevic 2 into 1 exhaust system • Engine guards • Chrome radiator guard • Renthal bars • Touring screen. Optimate and Oil pressure switch/light mod (Leehenty special!) to be fitted. Tom Tom rider V2 europe. GoPro HD Hero. Fenda extender.
Triumph Tiger 955i with stuff added.

#53 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:05 pm

Book says 3.9 litres. Did mine yesterday and after squeezing it was mayhaps a touch more. Oid put 3.8 in and then run it warm and recheck.

I know you will know this already Danny but 2 drain plugs and if feeling particularly frisky loosen the gallery bolt to get rid of a thimble full of old oil and check all is pumping as it should.

Jobs a carrot. :badgerrock:

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#54 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:16 pm

Oid put 3.8 in and then run it warm and recheck.

More like 3.5 at first. You don't want 0.5 on the garage floor, I know!

#55 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:22 pm

No sense of adventure grumps.

I am sure the mkII worksop manuel suggests 3.6 or something then run for 1min? then put the rest in. Don't say that in the mkI Worksop Manuel but can't see that there any diff atwix the two enjuns that would warrant a diff method. Wonder why they changed it, complaints aboot oil on garage floor :lol: ?

#56 Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:42 pm

Looks like Halfrauds 10w 40 semi synth 4 litre then. Cheers all.

Mk1' R1 gold spot front calipers • HH sintered front pads • FJR1300 front master cylinder • K&N air filter • Factory Pro emulsion tubes • Oxford heated grips • Mirror extenders • KTM handguards • Baglux tank cover and bag. 12v auxiliary socket • Delkevic 2 into 1 exhaust system • Engine guards • Chrome radiator guard • Renthal bars • Touring screen. Optimate and Oil pressure switch/light mod (Leehenty special!) to be fitted. Tom Tom rider V2 europe. GoPro HD Hero. Fenda extender.

#57 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:41 am

Halfrauds also do the filter fer norra lorrra lolly. :) Last time I bought wan it was cheaper to buy the filter from the car filter section than the bike filter section.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#58 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:00 pm

Bugger last time I thougth they'd gone up a squiddler.....mayhaps I just picked from wrong shelf!!!!

#59 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:13 pm

Quite possible ! Blatant rip off fer bikers eh ! :rolleyes:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#60 Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:51 am

Quite possible ! Blatant rip off fer bikers eh ! :rolleyes:

How's the filter listed, by part no or by bike.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users