132 replies to this topic

#41 Walt_M.

Walt_M.

seems to like Carpe

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:05 pm

I finally got the R1 fuel pump on my '92 model. Took me longer than some because I was more than a little worried about driveability problems listed above but mine started, idles and revs fine. I was somewhat concerned about fuel overflow but the pump seems to have an internal pressure switch that shuts off when the bowls are filled. I can hear the pump run, tick, tick, tick(reminded me of my '85 FZ750) Very reassuring, plus, if I don't hear the tick, tick, tick I will know it isn't working. I hooked the positive to the Red/black wire per the original instruction here and, no problems. I haven't ridden it yet as I am going to do some fuel line rerouting I want to do but it started and ran fine.
I also replaced the battery as that was the main reason for removing the tank to begin with. I decided to follow the good service I've gotten from the Walmart battery I have in my '83 550 Vision. I installed it in March 2005, replacing a Yuasa I'd bought in July 2003. That one lost a cell and will be the last Yuasa I waste money on. I got the Everstart Maxx AGM for the TDM, $45 US and see how long it lasts.
I am ordinarily an advocate of the local bike shop and if they offered a quality battery for a similar price I would buy it. When I got the Yuasa, they had a cheapie alternative that they did not recommend. As I said before, that is my last Yuasa.
I will keep posting on the fuel pump and battery.

#42 john westcott

john westcott

seems to like Carpe

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:37 pm

Well my 2UJ-81950-00 relay quit working and I cant ride. Where can I get a replacement in the states without spending $50.00 at the Yamasaw stealership, any one?
MK1 850. Sonic, Hagon, Yosh, Factory
Blue Spot's, SS lines, Sergeant. Whats next?

#43 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:00 pm

Can somebody whos done this mod please let me know the part No for the R6/R1 fuel pump, As I am looking for a pump and was wondering if a pump from something like a fazer would do??

Also would any leccy fuel pump do Ie from a ZX9, Gixer ETC.....??? dry.gif

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#44 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:12 pm

or ya cud try getting one off a MKIIa from 1999-2002.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#45 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:16 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Wed 7th May 2008, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
or ya cud try getting one off a MKIIa from 1999-2002.

aint they controlled by the mk2a cdi ?

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#46 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:26 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Wed 7th May 2008, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
aint they controlled by the mk2a cdi ?

i have heard that rumour too from this site but i tink not.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#47 DGMmm

DGMmm

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:05 pm

Hi guys,

Have just joined the forum today, I have been mening to join for a while now. Could really do with some help. help.gif I have a 1992 850 that i bought this winter. the bike ran fine for a while then rough. Now it is unrideable. after checking out this forum realised that it has had an electric fuel pump conversion. The pump is of unknown origin. ( looks like a car one to me )I have changed the carbs thinking it might of been the emulsion tubes. Off a bike with low millage. Have now got a R1 fuel pump. The pump seems to carry on pumping until the carbs are flooded to overflowing. Running out of ideas. Could do with some help. doubtfull.gif Many thanks Dave ( west sussex UK )

Hi all, After much investigation have found out that this bike belonged to Don from High Wycombe. A site member. Have checked his last posts and it seems to have had the emulsion tubes done already. Still no closer to a running bike though. Has been in my local dealers for 3 weeks at great cost. £300 + and they admit they havent got a clue. So bike still not running . They had to deliver it back. Pulling what little hair i have out.

Edited by DGMmm, 01 June 2008 - 07:05 pm.

#48 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:21 pm

QUOTE(DGMmm @ Sun 1st Jun 2008, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys, Have just joined the forum today, I have been mening to join for a while now. Could really do with some help. help.gif I have a 1992 850 that i bought this winter. the bike ran fine for a while then rough. Now it is unrideable. after checking out this forum realised that it has had an electric fuel pump conversion. The pump is of unknown origin. ( looks like a car one to me )I have changed the carbs thinking it might of been the emulsion tubes. Off a bike with low millage. Have now got a R1 fuel pump. The pump seems to carry on pumping until the carbs are flooded to overflowing. Running out of ideas. Could do with some help. doubtfull.gif Many thanks Dave ( west sussex UK )

Hmm
1st check your float valve and seat are Ok
2nd check your fuel level, and reset it. (You may have to lower the fuel height 6-7mm)

rising fuel level in float bowl lifts float and closes fuel feed in by pushing closed the float valve
any crap or wear on the valve/seat and of wrong fuel height can lead to flooding
pump should stop once carbs are full, so if any of the above are to blame, the pump will keep pumping!
check pump by whipping off the outlet pipe (one to carbs) turn on ignition, fuel get s pumped out, stick thumb over pipe so it blocked, pump should stop
if it keeps going I'm guessing pump fault.....

Where abouts are you in West Sussex??

Edited by jht, 01 June 2008 - 07:23 pm.

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#49 DGMmm

DGMmm

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:18 pm

QUOTE(jht @ Sun 1st Jun 2008, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm
1st check your float valve and seat are Ok
2nd check your fuel level, and reset it. (You may have to lower the fuel height 6-7mm)

rising fuel level in float bowl lifts float and closes fuel feed in by pushing closed the float valve
any crap or wear on the valve/seat and of wrong fuel height can lead to flooding
pump should stop once carbs are full, so if any of the above are to blame, the pump will keep pumping!
check pump by whipping off the outlet pipe (one to carbs) turn on ignition, fuel get s pumped out, stick thumb over pipe so it blocked, pump should stop
if it keeps going I'm guessing pump fault.....

Where abouts are you in West Sussex??

Hi there jht,

Thanks for the advice, I am in Chichester, well north Mundham to be precise. will check the seats and levels and reset if required. will also check the pump too. will keep all informed. Many thanks again,,, good.gif

#50 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:21 pm

Hi,
there's a thread somewhere on here and it mentions having to wire the pump into the ignition ? system so that it only operates when the engine is running.

WFM !! This is the thread istupid.gif

Edited by Studley Ramrod, 03 June 2008 - 01:24 pm.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#51 Hawmaw

Hawmaw

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 933 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:54 pm

Went out for my first ride since fitting the lecky R6 pump........what a difference , definately the best mod ever. Bike is more responsive from cold and seems more eager to accelerate in any gear. Big smile on my face !! biggrin.gif

Now : Nowt
Then : Yamaha TDM850 4TX , Suzuki GSF1200N Bandit , Yamaha TDM850 3VD , Yamaha 600 Fazer , Suzuki GSXR750G , Honda CB1100F , BMW R75/5 , Yamaha RD250E , Yamaha XS250 , Kawasaki Z250C , Lambretta GP150 , Vespa 150 Super

#52 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:27 pm

QUOTE(Hawmaw @ Fri 6th Jun 2008, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Went out for my first ride since fitting the lecky R6 pump........what a difference , definately the best mod ever. Bike is more responsive from cold and seems more eager to accelerate in any gear. Big smile on my face !! biggrin.gif

i'd love to see afore and after dyno charts as that would be 'kind of interesting'.

#53 Hawmaw

Hawmaw

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 933 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:25 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Fri 6th Jun 2008, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'd love to see afore and after dyno charts as that would be 'kind of interesting'.

Dunno if it's any more powerful but the delivery is certainly sharper , instant throttle response . No more sucking air for a second when you grab a big handful , plenty of fuel in the bowls to make you gooooooooo !

Now : Nowt
Then : Yamaha TDM850 4TX , Suzuki GSF1200N Bandit , Yamaha TDM850 3VD , Yamaha 600 Fazer , Suzuki GSXR750G , Honda CB1100F , BMW R75/5 , Yamaha RD250E , Yamaha XS250 , Kawasaki Z250C , Lambretta GP150 , Vespa 150 Super

#54 Nikko

Nikko

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:04 pm

Thinking of doing this mod whilst i have a small amount of time spare (3 day week at work) and have a question. When removing the old fuel pump from my 98 MKII what do i do with the vacum pipe from the carb? Do i just plug the end and route it out of harms way.

I bought the pump (an R1 one) awhile ago and always intended on doing this mod so now is as good a time as any. My original vacum pump makes a loud ticking sound when bike is running, is this natural or is it on its way out. Just interested realy as i am replacing anyhow.

NIck.

#55 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:17 pm

QUOTE(Nikko @ Thu 2nd Oct 2008, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thinking of doing this mod whilst i have a small amount of time spare (3 day week at work) and have a question. When removing the old fuel pump from my 98 MKII what do i do with the vacum pipe from the carb? Do i just plug the end and route it out of harms way. YUP!

I bought the pump (an R1 one) awhile ago and always intended on doing this mod so now is as good a time as any. My original vacum pump makes a loud ticking sound when bike is running, is this natural or is it on its way out. Just interested realy as i am replacing anyhow. Dunno, couldnt hear mine above the exhaust note rolleyes.gif
NIck.

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#56 stevespeed

stevespeed

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:33 pm

can you lads tell me if your tdm,s have a reserve tap on the fuel tank ?? i was going to do this on a trx 850 thanks

#57 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:56 pm

Mk1 and Mk2 both have fuel tap and vacuum pump. Mk2a has electric pump, reserve light and no fuel tap.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#58 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:42 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Wed 15th Oct 2008, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mk1 and Mk2 both have fuel tap and vacuum pump. Mk2a has electric pump, reserve light and no fuel tap.

wanna bet ohmy.gif

#59 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:27 pm

I bow to the Wickster's superior knowledge. I thought they only had one right underneith for taking the tank off?

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#60 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:56 am

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Thu 16th Oct 2008, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bow to the Wickster's superior knowledge. I thought they only had one right underneith for taking the tank off?

well fook me soideways i'm surprised ya knew bout 'the secret' fuel tap !!! thas the one i'm referring to so i bow to you and wash yer feet in the process !!!! ohmy.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users