139 replies to this topic

#41 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:02 pm

Avonne has a shortened Hagon unit with remote adjustment on his niner - he's got Hagon progressive fork springs as well

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#42 T_T

T_T

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 65 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:04 pm

QUOTE(sidestand @ Tue 3rd Feb 2009, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Avonne has a shortened Hagon unit with remote adjustment on his niner - he's got Hagon progressive fork springs as well

Thanks

2005 TDM 900A Silver-tech, Istanbul, TURKEY

#43 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:34 pm

Dandywarhol's spend a bit of effort in the suspension on his 900. If you find one of his posts he's got it listed in his footer. Also try a search for "gold valve emulators" for some discussion on 900 front suspension.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#44 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:07 pm

QUOTE(T_T @ Tue 3rd Feb 2009, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks

RACE TECH front internals and FOURNALES on the rear good.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#45 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:26 am

QUOTE(T_T @ Tue 3rd Feb 2009, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any 900
had ever changed the rear shock or front springs? Any recommandations?

Firstly, You can spend alot of money on gold valves, etc ad nauseum, but they won't make much difference without the right springs for you.

I find the OEM rear shock assy quite good. I set the spring pre-load on 6 for my 95kg self & crank it up to 8 when wife(another 80kg 5' 10" )climbs onboard. Compression I set a little above standard( harder )
& rebound is set at standard. The rear end, mine & the bike's feel pretty good with that setup. good.gif Though it would be nice if the rear pre-load adjustment was easier like on the V-Strom.

The front OEM springs were WAY TOO SOFT dry.gif for me & my riding style. Only with the front spring pre-load cranked right up(1) did the front end get close to feeling any good braking / handling wise. doubtfull.gif

I put Hyperpro Progressive fork springs + their 15w oil in & the front end is now much, much better. good.gif The bad Front end dive is gone & I brake more confidently. The ride over rough roads is very smooth
& the cornering is superb. yeahbaby.gif Spring pre-load is now on 6.

I've had this kit in two bikes now & both were improved immensely by fitting it. I know there are some that don't like the progressive rate spring theory, but I also know that there are professional riders that don't use anything else. The TDM900 uses a progressive linkage system on the rear anyway.
Personally I reckon they are Brilliant! good.gif clapping.gif drinks.gif

Edited by TDMtoraneko, 06 February 2009 - 12:46 am.

cheers, Shane from Tassie

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#46 T_T

T_T

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 65 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:51 pm

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Fri 6th Feb 2009, 02:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Firstly, You can spend alot of money on gold valves, etc ad nauseum, but they won't make much difference without the right springs for you.
I find the OEM rear shock assy quite good. I set the spring pre-load on 6 for my 95kg self & crank it up to 8 when wife(another 80kg 5' 10" )climbs onboard. Compression I set a little above standard( harder )
& rebound is set at standard. The rear end, mine & the bike's feel pretty good with that setup. good.gif Though it would be nice if the rear pre-load adjustment was easier like on the V-Strom.

The front OEM springs were WAY TOO SOFT dry.gif for me & my riding style. Only with the front spring pre-load cranked right up(1) did the front end get close to feeling any good braking / handling wise. doubtfull.gif

I put Hyperpro Progressive fork springs + their 15w oil in & the front end is now much, much better. good.gif The bad Front end dive is gone & I brake more confidently. The ride over rough roads is very smooth

I've had this kit in two bikes now & both were improved immensely by fitting it. I know there are some that don't like the progressive rate spring theory, but I also know that there are professional riders that don't use anything else. The TDM900 uses a progressive linkage system on the rear anyway.

I couldnt imagine a better explanation, thanks mate

2005 TDM 900A Silver-tech, Istanbul, TURKEY

#47 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:42 pm

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Fri 6th Feb 2009, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I with you in theory, in practice I found the 85kg Race Tech springs and the Gold Valves too hard. I put the original (soft) springs back in again not expecting much and found the combo of gold valve conversion and original springs with medium weight oil (Motul) to be just right for me.

So, in reality, its the soft springs combined with the shitty original damping system which makes the front so vague IMO.

Edited by dandywarhol, 08 February 2009 - 11:43 pm.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#48 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:40 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Mon 9th Feb 2009, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While I with you in theory, in practice I found the 85kg Race Tech springs and the Gold Valves too hard. I put the original (soft) springs back in again not expecting much and found the combo of gold valve conversion and original springs with medium weight oil (Motul) to be just right for me.

So, in reality, its the soft springs combined with the shitty original damping system which makes the front so vague IMO.

my 10kg more weight probably makes all the difference when you multiple it by however many +/- G's coming into & out of corners.
I actually find with the Hyperpro springs, 15w oil & OEM damping rebound set on 2 that, the front end is just about spot on for me solo & being progressive it handles just as well with a pillion.
It all gets down to rider weight, riding style, etc. Whatever works best for you personally. smile.gif

cheers, Shane from Tassie

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#49 Finch

Finch

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:32 pm

hi

Silly newbie question, i am looking at a second hand wp rear shock from an unknown year of tdm. As far as i can see the 850 mk1 and mk2 are interchangeable, if it happens to be from a 900 will it fit my mk11 850?
cheers

#50 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:39 pm

Afraid not ......the Mk1 & Mk2 have a direct linkage, the Niner is indirect, so different length & fittings.

By the way Finch, if it's that WP on Evilbay at the moment, it's not for a TDM, it's for a TRX - again, different end fittings dry.gif

Edited by sidestand, 06 January 2010 - 08:41 pm.

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#51 Finch

Finch

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:03 pm

QUOTE(sidestand @ Wed 6th Jan 2010, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Afraid not ......the Mk1 & Mk2 have a direct linkage, the Niner is indirect, so different length & fittings.

By the way Finch, if it's that WP on Evilbay at the moment, it's not for a TDM, it's for a TRX - again, different end fittings dry.gif

Damn Damn Damn thought it was too good to be true, thanks for the heads up by the way, was going to buy that!!! Oh well back to the search for the elusive quality 2nd hand rear shock bargain.

#52 MotoBloke

MotoBloke

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 191 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:23 am

QUOTE(sidestand @ Wed 6th Jan 2010, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Afraid not ......the Mk1 & Mk2 have a direct linkage, the Niner is indirect, so different length & fittings....

To be really clear - the 850 models have NO 'linkage'. That's also why they have such a heavy spring, relative to 'linkaged' bikes of similar porkiness. No other Yamahas nor most other similar bikes have this non-linkage style monoshock. (No, I can't think of one that does!)

Also, the 850 Mk1 has cartridge style fork internals, the 850 Mk2 has simpler, cruder, damper rod internals.

And: The 900s forks have several variations (I think JBX has a chart) - mainly in spring strength and damping, almost from year to year, that you can't talk about the 900 front ends collectively. excl.gif

Do all the 900s have linkage rear suspension? Even so, I'm guessing spring rates and damping varied a lot over the years, no?

Edited by MotoBloke, 03 May 2010 - 08:24 am.

MotoBloke
www.ShineMyBike.com
Sinny, Ostraya
98 TDM850L 4TX series aka Mk2a 146000km
Tiger screen; Laser ProStock exhaust; large old Givi topbox; ProTaper ATV 'bars; BarkBusters with Storm guards; CoyoteMoto crash knobs; Aldi GoCruise GPS; Michelin Pilot Road 3 tyres.
Previous loves:
Suzuki DL650 V-Strom K6; Honda XL600VH Transalp X 2; Suzuki GS500; Yam XTZ750 Super Tenere; Yam FJ1200U; MotoGuzzi V65 Lario; Kawa KLR600; Honda XL350 RF.

post-1-1150559830.gif

#53 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:43 am

QUOTE(Finch @ Wed 6th Jan 2010, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn Damn Damn thought it was too good to be true, thanks for the heads up by the way, was going to buy that!!! Oh well back to the search for the elusive quality 2nd hand rear shock bargain.

There's one here

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item4aa11127d4

Always going to be a gamble, but at that price.

#54 DevoTDM

DevoTDM

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:28 am

I like the look of the WP EDSII website. Bet it's not cheap. Anyone come across these before? Reliable?

#55 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:16 pm

Have decided that Nitron rear is for me. Money well spent I believe. Will get a remote pre-load adjuster as well.

NITRON 850 PAGE

Edited by TYREDNGRUMPEE, 15 October 2010 - 07:17 pm.

#56 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• 3,312 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:46 pm

Myself and Mat101 have fitted the Wilbers 640 with hydraulic remote pre-load adjuster and so far i truly cannot believe how much it has transformed the rear of the bike, instead of squatting down at the rear, the front wheel comes up a lot more and it feels twice as planted in the corners IMHO

We both bought from Revs Racing and the 2 guys there Nick and John are very helpful as the shock is built to your requirements rather than off the shelf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carpe-TDM.net - A place where everyone can have their cake and eat it!!!!!

TDM900/A 2007 Black, DL650 XTZ1200 Super Ten Handguards, Oxford Heated Grips, Double Bubble Screen, Fenda Extenda, Pipe Werx Oval Black SL Zorsts, R+G Crash Bungs, Mirror Extenders, Wilbers Rear Shock with Remote Hydraulic Preload, Wilbers Progressive Fork Springs, Scottoiler Touring Kit, Clear LED Rear Light Unit, Clear Indicators, PUIG Bellypan, V46 + 2 x E41 Keyless Luggage, Black Renthal 755 Medium Road Bars with Brace, 3 x 12v Accessory Socket, Beowolf Rad Guard.

TDM has moved on, i now own a Black 2009 Honda VFR 800 VTEC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without cake, we are merely just people who ride bikes

#57 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:56 pm

wifgeni.gif

They really are the dogs danglies!!

Well worth the money.

Matt

#58 DevoTDM

DevoTDM

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:19 pm

Has anybody come across a remote pre-load adjuster that can be fitted to the OEM rear shock?

#59 aircooled68

aircooled68

RTT11 Wales manager

• 1,581 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:27 pm

QUOTE(TYREDNGRUMPEE @ Fri 15th Oct 2010, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have decided that Nitron rear is for me. Money well spent I believe. Will get a remote pre-load adjuster as well.

NITRON 850 PAGE

Did you get the nitron?

Dave

202323336-M.jpgpost-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#60 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:04 pm

QUOTE(aircooled68 @ Wed 17th Nov 2010, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you get the nitron?
Dave

Not yet. It is at the top of my list as soon as I've scraped enough funds together for next years tour. Pyrennees (again) or Italy, Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica.
Plus new passport. Deffo Nitron above anything else though.
It will be done. Changing the suspension is a ritual with me.
Currently running a very standard/recently overhauled front end and a stock rear shock.
I find they work well, but the range within which they work together varies through the course of a ride, widely.
This makes riding the thing a different experience from a full tank to empty. I've never had to adapt so much in the course of a trip.
Throw in some luggage, still I love the bike and the ride. Shame if it became less interesting.
I aim to get a better balance between both ends and will experiment with the front as per suggestions I've read here.
Will fit the Nitron first. I always play with the settings and will have a remote adjuster.
Could it turn out that it becomes boring?
No rush

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users