Photo
- - - - -

Test Ride On A Vstrom 1000 - Great Bike But I Still Like My Tdm.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tomwal

tomwal

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:12 pm

I had a test ride on a Vstrom 1000 today. The dimensions and weight feel very similar to a TDM900. I went on motorways and country lanes and I must admit it was an excellent machine. It is light and easy handling like the TDM. At 70 mph it is doing about 4000 rpm so, like the TDM, it is not a revvy bike. It has a small adjustable screen which I found very effective - there is less wind noise than with my MRA vario screen. Even with the lowest height seat installed it is a bit taller than the TDM. It also felt well made and solid and it felt like it would not be too difficult to handle some mild off road riding even for a rather timid rider like myself. The Suzuki is more powerful than the TDM but there is not a huge difference. I really enjoyed the ride and would consider buying one - it seems pretty good value and I like the ABS and TCS.

When I got back on my TDM900 I was expecting it to feel rather old and lacklustre in comparison but no - the TDM felt even better and much more comfortable. It was like trying on some new shoes and then putting old comfortable ones back on. I find the standard TDM handlebar position so much better than the high trailie type bars on the Vstrom. Also I have Fuel exhausts, a dobeck EFI device and a G2 Throttle Tamer and my bike felt so much more tractable and easy in traffic as well as sounding much better. When I got off the Vstrom my left hand and wrist felt really strained and almost painful - back on my TDM I realised why - the VStrom's cluctch was really hard work. My TDM has those cheap Chinese adjustable levers and they feel so much better than the Suzuki ones. I am really grateful to Carpe TDM for all the improvements I have made to the bike - It is only after this ride that I appreciate that they work so well.

#2 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:40 pm

Most of the blokes I know that have tried both, prefer the DL650 to the DL1000, or at least the older versions. The newer 650 Glee is one I've got marked down as a possible replacement in the coming years. Very closely related to the TDM in lots of ways. Strange how they don't seem to be able to get the 1000 to work in quite the same way.

Edited by muddy, 27 February 2015 - 09:47 pm.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#3 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:53 pm

Most of the blokes I know that have tried both, prefer the DL650 to the DL1000, or at least the older versions. The newer 650 Glee is one I've got marked down as a possible replacement in the coming years. Very closely related to the TDM in lots of ways. Strange how they don't seem to be able to 1000 work in quite the same way.

Yes. Sagalout has the new 650 and he is very happy with it.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#4 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:13 am

I like your old shoes description.

Only had a short squirt on a V strom and liked it but... it felt big and felt uncomfortable standing up. All I can recall from 5 minutes.

The only bike which has made my stalwart 850 feel past it was a Hayabusa. In all fairness I never rode the missile on gravel or proper twistys.

Suspension is the biggest thing I have noticed with the Suzuki's I have ridden, It's been top notch.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#5 tomwal

tomwal

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:37 pm

I like your old shoes description.
Only had a short squirt on a V strom and liked it but... it felt big and felt uncomfortable standing up. All I can recall from 5 minutes.
The only bike which has made my stalwart 850 feel past it was a Hayabusa. In all fairness I never rode the missile on gravel or proper twistys.
Suspension is the biggest thing I have noticed with the Suzuki's I have ridden, It's been top notch.

Yes the suspension was very good. Also slightly less importantly the mirrors are exceptionally good. They are square and perfectly positioned
to give clear, unimpeded rear vision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users