15 replies to this topic

#1 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:54 pm

Firstly, if you don’t like listening to old geezers who start by saying ‘When I were a lad’ skip this paragraph. In 1970 I was sixteen years old, had left school, passed my test on a BSA 250 and had a temporary job earning £9 a week on a market garden. For some reason the owner of the business took a shine to me and offered to take me on permanently, train me to be his manager and learn all aspects of the business. Oh, and by the way he’d up my wages to £20 a week. Obviously I said ‘No’. I’m lying and that evening went guns blazing to the Triumph dealer - Peters of Hull - now long gone. I traded in the BSA and bought a new Triumph T100 which in those days was a 500cc Tiger 100 twin, costing £350. Today, without the part ex it would be like earning £270 a week and buying a £5,500 Honda CB500F. That T100 opened up my world with rides to race meetings, tours around Yorkshire and beyond, camping holidays, it taught me to learn maintenance routines and yes, how to fix it when it broke down – which it occasionally did, as did most things in 1970. But most of all it gave me a bunch of gold-plated mates, some of whom I still meet and ride with to this day. Skip 50 years and at 66 I’m sitting in the middle of lockdown with nowhere to go, 3 holidays cancelled, no pub to go to, no petrol to buy and listening to Laura Doomsberg on the BBC telling me I’m likely to die anytime soon.  So I thought,  ‘well if it’s all about end, it may as well end as it started, with me on a new Triumph T100’, only now it would be a 900cc twin and called a Bonneville.

As we were in the middle of lockdown with all dealers closed I used the internet to browse what was on offer and came across a new, pre-registered bike with delivery mileage only (10), on the Isle of Wight!  I’d already quizzed Carpers on buying bikes online and wasn’t put off by the distance and made contact with them via email, and as soon as lockdown was eased I completed the deal, saving myself around two grand on the list price. Nice one. I've used some of the purchase price savings to have some extras fitted such as a centre stand, heated grips, pillion grab rail and a Dart fly screen.  I took delivery on Sunday 24 May and the whole deal went like clock work.

So to the bike. The Bonneville and the TDM are really very, very different bikes but I’ll try to compare directly whenever possible. Sitting on the Bonnie I noticed straight away that it’s lower than the TDM by maybe a couple of inches or so. I’m 5’ 11’ and can comfortably get both feet flat on the ground. Going on to the controls, everything is pretty standard apart from there being no headlight flasher, but like the TDM there is a switch for four-way hazards. The 'dashboard' layout is great with two big analogue clocks and digital displays for fuel on the right and a selectable display on the left for clock, average mpg, trip one, trip two, instantaneous mpg, total odometer, and traction control.  I've settled on having the clock as default. The warning lights are in the clocks but I find the indicator warning lights are not quite bright enough. 

On to the engine, which is a real beauty. Like the 9er, the Bonnieville has a 270 degree crank which gives the  smooth, lazy V-twin type feel we all know and love. It’s very torquey with loads and loads of low down grunt which makes overtaking a breeze even when running in. At 70 mph the Triumph is doing about 3,500 rpm which makes it a bit slower revving than the Yam and tops out at 7000. Maximum bhp is around 55 which will make it good for over 100mph which to me, for this kind of bike, is fine. It will sit all day at 70 or 80 which is about max for an upright riding position with no fairing. Overall it’s just a brilliant bike to just ride and ride and ride a bit more. The clutch is the lightest I’ve ever come across, the 5 speed gear box is amazingly smooth and the throttle response (ride by wire) is instantaneous. And oh! There is absolutely no low speed jerkiness. 30mph in 4th gear could be done all day if need be. That's progress I suppose.

Moving the bike around is easy due to the low weight and handlebars, but surprisingly it is a bit heavier than the TDM by about 12kg, but to me it doesn’t feel it. And once on the move it feels much, much lighter than it really is. The tyres are Pirellis and seem to do what’s needed of a tyre. I’m no knee-down merchant anymore but the Bonnie corners and changes direction exactly as it should imho. Single disk brakes back and front do the job and ABS is standard.

One thing really stands out on the Triumph and that’s the quality of everything. The finish is fabulous, and a nice touch is the signing off by the guy who did the coach lining on the tank. The rider pack which comes with the bike includes a branded back pack, a really nice document case, a leather branded key fob, a year’s RAC membership, Datatag,  a factory visit and two years guarantee.

We all know TDMs are such great bikes - that's why we've got them so to to me its a bit unfair to try to rank one against the other so I'm not going to. But to sum up I’d say Triumph have produced a winner with this bike. It’s just so NICE to ride and makes you feel you just want to keep going. As a final comparison I’d say that if I were setting off on a European tour, or some long serious motorway work I’d load up the TDM. If I were off to the local biker cafe or about to potter around the hills then the Bonneville would win, but that’s not to say that it wouldn’t be perfectly happy on the European tour. In 1970 who’d have thought it!

#2 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:26 pm

I Enjoyed reading that
Thanks
Andy

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:47 pm

Thanks for sharing Riggers. :good:  What's the tank range and mpg ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:13 pm

Thanks for sharing Riggers. :good:  What's the tank range and mpg ?

Knew I'd forget something. The tank holds 14.5 litres (3+ gallons), and the ECU is telling me the bike has averaged 75 mpg from new with just under 1000 miles on the clock. But that included gradually increasing the speed from 50 mph when she was brand new to bursts of up to anything now.

When I fill the tank it tells me I've got a range of 180 miles which I know doesn't compute with the above but I don't know how its working things out. Maybe it's not including the 'reserve' amount when the low fuel warning light comes on . :blink:

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:17 pm

Pictures, dying for pictures
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:32 pm

Knew I'd forget something. The tank holds 14.5 litres (3+ gallons), and the ECU is telling me the bike has averaged 75 mpg from new with just under 1000 miles on the clock. But that included gradually increasing the speed from 50 mph when she was brand new to bursts of up to anything now.

When I fill the tank it tells me I've got a range of 180 miles which I know doesn't compute with the above but I don't know how its working things out. Maybe it's not including the 'reserve' amount when the low fuel warning light comes on . :blink:

That's a decent range from a small tank. Yeah, might be you're getting around 60mpg now it's run in.  Shows how good the TDM mpg is really, being an older more powerful engine.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:49 pm

On delivery day.....

Attached File  IMG_1650.JPG   178.66KB   0 downloads

With 'extras' fitted.

Attached File  IMG_1662.JPG   199.65KB   0 downloads

In 1970! 

Attached File  IMG_1654 (Edited).JPG   77.55KB   0 downloads

#8 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:54 pm

And a close up.....

Attached File  IMG_1651.JPG   207.8KB   0 downloads

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:58 pm

Cool. :cool:

#10 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:00 am

very nice, great having a couple of bikes which do different things for you

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#11 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:02 am

Happy days, now just need some sunshine, seasocks over boot tops, off to the Ace.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#12 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:40 am

That was really interesting, thanks Riggers. Was thinking of buying an Enfield Interceptor, but will definitely try the Triumph too.

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#13 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:32 pm

That was really interesting, thanks Riggers. Was thinking of buying an Enfield Interceptor, but will definitely try the Triumph too.

Thanks for the feedback. I did try an Interceptor last summer but for me it didn't quite cut the mustard, and I did have some niggling doubts about the quality control.  Definitely a good idea to try both.  :good:

#14 DaveW

DaveW

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 59 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:46 am

Thanks Riggers. I found your article helpful. Do you feel that the lower height makes you feel that you have less "presence" in traffic?

#15 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 09:38 am

Thanks Riggers. I found your article helpful. Do you feel that the lower height makes you feel that you have less "presence" in traffic?

Thanks Dave. No I wouldn't say so. I think the upright riding position helps on that front.

#16 DaveW

DaveW

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 59 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 09:59 am

Okey dokey. Again helpful, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users