Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:00 pm

It makes sense now. Thanks

#22 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:18 am

It makes sense now. Thanks

there are pics and info on how to do it on here,  it is a delicate operation mind.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#23 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:10 am

Hi again, I'm coming back to continue my cursed tdm fixings...
So, still running rich. Replaced fuel pump, found the choke plunge was melted - thought that must be it - but no. Runs a bit better but still too rich.
Mechanic said he's going to bend the carb floats to make a leaner mixture - that's the last thing he can think of as all else has been done. A body mystery.
Can anyone help me to understand what's the bending of floats and is there any negative side to doing so?
Thank you

Why would it run fine for 5 miles and then start giving problems, if the issue is float level? Doesn't really make sense to me.

Did you try new ignition coils, cables and caps?

#24 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:49 am

I guess I did not express very well. When I say runs ok for 5 miles, I meant it RUNS. After those few miles it starts twitching and losing power at low rpm, then eventually the engine shuts off. The spark plugs gets covered in soot and won't start.

Ignition coil is the next step, I guess. But as the bike is still at the mechanics and he is working on a fixed price, I will let them do all they can for now.

But why would ignition coil make it run rich?

#25 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:13 am

But why would ignition coil make it run rich?

If it doesn't fire/fire efficient, it won't burn the fuel correctly, i.e. too much fuel = rich.

#26 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:15 am

Twitching and losing power isn't necessarily a sign of it running rich so best check other stuff like the HT coil as it can show a similar fault as yours when warmed up.

Another one that can cause similar problems is a leaking thermostat housing, only leaks when engine is warmed up and then drips onto the plug leads/plugs.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#27 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:02 am

Thermostat housing has been checked - no problems there.

The guys should adjust floats today and take it for a spin and see how it goes. If still not right, then HT coil. Thanks fellas.

#28 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:25 am

I still think it's overfueling. Soot fouling of the plugs cannot occur just by there being any fault on the ignition side of things.

The fact it runs for 5 miles and then gets worse is similar to what would happen of you leave the choke on, as the bike warms up it runs steadily worse and worse, and the plugs foul.

The choke system would be where I would start looking first, given these symptoms. I think the choke plunger material breaks down and becomes leaky ?

Edited by fixitsan, 20 March 2019 - 11:47 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#29 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:52 pm

Choke plunge has been done few days ago. It made it a bit better, but it's still running rich. But your right - the plunge has lost its shape, I guess ethanol was hungry for that plastic.
I didn't even know they make it from plastic, usually they're brass or whatever it's called.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users