#21 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:31 pm

As for the carbs, after 10 years of being dormant i would be stripping them down to clean at the very least, mine got split and bead blasted but it has ensured zero problems with them.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#22 CanadianTDM850

CanadianTDM850

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:52 pm

I followed the haynes manual for the oil change. drained oil from the engine on the left side of the bike. And then drained and dropped the filter housing on the right side of the bike. Is there a 3rd drain that isnt listed in the manual??

#23 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:07 pm

Two drains, one on the left side and the other by the oil filter, then drop the filter, picture 7.4c chapter 1 of the Haynes it's shown.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#24 CanadianTDM850

CanadianTDM850

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:27 pm

Exactly what I did. 1.5 - 2L out. As others say these bikes often eat oil and that probably got away from previous owner. While that is low its not engine ruining low, or shouldnt be at least.

Milage on the bike when parked was 62k km (~40k miles). I live in a limited riding climate with a suitable riding season maybe only about 4 months a year.

The carbs I fully anticipate to give me greif. A local shop will do a full disassembly, ultrasonic cleaning, and rebuild with new seals for an hour shop time + seals. But before I get to that point Im going to try 20$ worth of carb cleaner and a small prayer. LOL

#25 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:23 pm

Eeeks about the oil. Fingers crossed. Starvation occurs first on LHS.

Them plugs could be black due to worn mulshion tubes so worth getting that checked by the people rebuilding.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#26 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:17 pm

Plugs just look sooty - oil burning tends to give a glossy black finish. Good job, all the best with the rebuild

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#27 CanadianTDM850

CanadianTDM850

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:25 am

Update-
I spent a bunch of time replacing fuel, vacuum, and vent lines. Still have a bunch to go but the worst are all swapped out. This picture is the gross "coolant" that I drained out.
20190120-193842.jpg

We popped the bowls off the carbs and gave everything in sight a very healthy dose of carb cleaner. Everything was actually a lot cleaner in there than expected. I imagine the previous owner had the needles and jets done prior to parking. But still- 10ish years of sitting with gross old gas in it, I was expecting to probably have to rebuild them.
20190120-153655.jpg 20190120-153639.jpg

After putting the bowls back on, reconnecting all the hoses, refilling fluids and putting in a new battery, I made a testing fuel tank from a pop bottle and tried to fire it up. The first attempt was mostly unsuccessful, with the engine cranking but not catching. Once it caught breifly, blew a bit of smoke and died out with a bit of throttle. Another time I flooded the engine and it backfired good. Nearly pooped myself...

After changing my pants and charging the battery back up I went back and gave er another try. Sprayed a bit of carb cleaner down the intake and hit the go button. This time it sprung to life! It ran, idled and revved up really great. It sounds awesome- much better than expected! I ran it up to temp, both cylinders are firing strong. Fan kicked in and brought temp back down. Throttle was responsive and it idled without any hesitation. So far so good!

I should have a video up later this week to show the bike running. Bed time now its been a few late nights on this project over the past few days.

#28 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:43 am

Things are looking good eh. :)  Make sure you have the front brake engaged when putting the bike in gear.  Also keep a keen eye on the oil level.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#29 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:02 am

Whoop whoop.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#30 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:07 am

Good job :good:

#31 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:32 pm

impressed!

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#32 CanadianTDM850

CanadianTDM850

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:16 pm

As promised here is a quick video showing the bike run and idle. The sound is a little off as Inwas recording with my cell phone, but it sounds really good for an engine that hasnt run in 10 years.

https://youtu.be/KOhwXv5ygMc

#33 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:20 pm

I would be smiling, sounds nice :)

#34 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:50 pm

Nice one. Now go enjoy the fruits of your labour!

#35 CanadianTDM850

CanadianTDM850

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:16 pm

Nice one. Now go enjoy the fruits of your labour!

Id love too! But I am locked into the middle of canadian winter. We get the occasional nice day but for the most part roads are snow and ice covered. That might not deter some people here and their TDMs but its enough to keep mine in the garage.

Bike still needs new tires, sprockets and chain, and new brake fluid at a minimum before its safe to ride. But it is very exciting it runs. Even moreso it runs well!

#36 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:32 pm

Yeh, I'm grounded due to snow and ice but guessing not as bad as you. I'm pleased for you for the progress you've made so far.

#37 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:43 am

Yeah, I had frost on my car ALL Day on Wednesday.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#38 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:04 pm

Ahhhh that were ewe driving with yer noggin ooot the window!!

#39 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 04:27 pm

:lol:  Not me but they do appear round 'ere too. Also some pretending to be controlling a submarine with the lickle viewing window periscope thing.

#40 CanadianTDM850

CanadianTDM850

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:15 pm

Quick Update-
A few people on this thread as well as on Facebook pointed out that the front sprockets can become stripped or even worse are already welded in place. Removed the covers to take a look the weekend and am happy to report the front sprocket looks good! Really good actually.
20190126-152550.jpg 20190126-150706.jpg

The rear sprocket is also looking in good shape although kinda dirty from whatever kinda chain grease was on there.
20190126-152611.jpg

The chain on the other hand is beyond repair. Most of the orings have dry rotted over the past 10 years of storage, it has some sections of rust and there are a couple links I can't unseize. Normally chain and sprockets are replaced together but I'm kinda wondering if I can get away with only replacing the chain. I think time killed it- not usage. What is your opinion?

Another opinion needed is that in the manual it repeatedly says not to use a chain with a clip style master link. The chain I took off the bike was a clip style masterlink. Is there any serious downside to using this style chain??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users