11 replies to this topic

#1 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:48 am

Got my 9er booked in next week for its MOT. She's an '09' reg with relatively low mileage of 17,000. Last year I took her to a different garage where the mechanic really did go over the bike with a fine tooth comb. Nowt wrong with that me thinks as if there's something wrong I'd like to know about it. Anyway after a new tyre valve was fitted I got the pass certificate.

BUT he said that if I'd taken the bike in a month later 'when the new rules come in' he would have failed it on discoloured brake fluid and the drive chain 'because it looks a bit loose on the sprocket'.

IMHO the brake fluid looks perfectly normal to me and the chain seems fine, I don't go around doing wheelies and these days prefer my license to cheap thrills.

So basically just asking if anyone is across these new rules and with a week to go what should I be checking?

Cheers guys.

Riggers.

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:23 am

All here Riggers. https://www.mot-test...anuals/class12/

It only mentions brake fluid which is 'contaminated', but I'm not sure if that has always been the standard ?

Edited by fixitsan, 18 April 2019 - 08:24 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:25 am

I think the "chain to loose" as mentioned to me last year by a new mot station will prevail, maybe take along the manual to show them and perhaps prevent a fail.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:37 am

Yep. I had the chain comment made to me and that was at a Yamaha garage. I pointed out that the chain was set correctly as per Yamaha's manual and that it was a TDM, not an R1. He accepted that as he knew I had 2 TDMs and the bikes were mechanically excellent. For a non-Yam tester, a copy of the manual would be a good back-up. Good idea, as my next MOT will be at a new garage, so I won't know what to expect.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#5 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:49 am

The chain slack thing came up with me last year and it was a tad slacker than it should be. I was lucky in that I chose a 'back street' MOT station and rather than fail me, we adjusted it there and then. If the slack is in spec, just be sure to bring the TDM manual with you when you go to show the tester. 

Edited by muddy, 18 April 2019 - 03:26 pm.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#6 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:01 am

All here Riggers. https://www.mot-test...anuals/class12/

It only mentions brake fluid which is 'contaminated', but I'm not sure if that has always been the standard ?

Great! many thanks :good:

Thanks for the tips guys, very helpful as always. Good idea to take the manual.

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:18 pm

MOT test tyre kicking exercise, covering the very very very basics. Aways makes me chuckle to read "bike flew through its MOT test" ..... Well would be summat glaringly obvious if it didn't!!!

Brake fluid.....not sure easy to tell what is site glass mud or fluid contamination unless you is gonna open up the res and lick it. Chain, lolzio. Sit on boike and ask if loose on sprocket now. :0)

Be grateful for anyone who does more than a half arsed attempt at the test. Gives a second observation on the basics.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#8 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:34 pm

MOT test tyre kicking exercise, covering the very very very basics. Aways makes me chuckle to read "bike flew through its MOT test" ..... Well would be summat glaringly obvious if it didn't!!!

Brake fluid.....not sure easy to tell what is site glass mud or fluid contamination unless you is gonna open up the res and lick it. Chain, lolzio. Sit on boike and ask if loose on sprocket now. :0)

Be grateful for anyone who does more than a half arsed attempt at the test. Gives a second observation on the basics.

One of the fails on mine last time was he didn't like the look of the rear tyre valve. It was a few weeks old and absolutely nothing up with it. 

#9 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:37 am

Glad so say she passed her MOT yesterday. Interestingly though he DID mention the chain slack (carefully set at 50mm) so thanks to the forum I was able to show him the owner's manual. 

Other 'mentions' were tyres nearing their end (which was fair enough), discoloured brake fluid (booked in with same garage for Friday), and 'bit noisy exhaust' (Deamon pipes from SP Performance). But none of these caused a failure.

On the plus side he said I had the best brakes he's ever come across on a Yamaha! Totally smooth and progressive - well, well, well.

Once again thanks for tips guys.

Riggers.

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:50 am

Well done wiggers.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#11 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:52 pm

It seems to becoming more and more subjective and in the hands of tester - exhaust noise, horn, chain slack, brake fluid discoloration and as far as aware still only a valid test on day of issue

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#12 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:07 pm

It seems to becoming more and more subjective and in the hands of tester - exhaust noise, horn, chain slack, brake fluid discoloration and as far as aware still only a valid test on day of issue

Agreed, include HIDs in with that as well. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users