Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Custom Designed Tdm Screen Ready To Go! High Impact Acrylic Version Is A Goer! - Sold

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#21 nubee

nubee

discovering Carpe

• 15 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:27 pm

Hey Shane...been watching this thread for a while...I'm definitely not happy with the standard screens - I have the large yamaha touring screen, which is better than the standard one, but it's still not giving me the protection I want smile.gif

Having tested a Yamaha FJR1300 a while back...I fell in love with the electrically adjustable screen. Seeing your (pretty damn good) custom screen, I couldn't help wondering if there was a way of making the fittings adjustable in some way? If the sceen mounting angle and position could be adjusted, it would make the mounting hole position less hassle for you, and would allow adjustment of the aero characteristics - to a certain extent?

One idea I had...was to mount your screen on some suction cups, with various different length threaded tubes to give you the adjustment you need.

Link to suction cup supplier

The link above should take you to a site sporting some appropriate-looking suction cups.

Relying on suction cups entirely might be a bit iffy...so perhaps some adhesive on the front mounts? Once the correct position had been worked out, maybe a drop of silicone sealant of something like that?

Just thoughts wacko.gif
2006 TDM900 A: 80mm screen, airbox mod, Yamaha mainstand, headlamp modulator, PIAA driving lamps (awesome!), Metzeler Roadtec Z6's, Daytona Hotgrips, TomTom Rider II.

#22 adibabi

adibabi

discovering Carpe

• 18 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:29 pm

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Sun 25th Jan 2009, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks mate, sent you a PM. Your screen kit will be on it's way asap. drinks.gif

Brill !! Cant wait yahoo.gif
TDM 900, OXFORD HEATED GRIPS, BMW R1150 GS HANDGUARDS, POWER COMMANDER, REMUS REVOLUTION CANS, AIRBOX MOD, SCOTT OILER, GIVI HARD LUGAGE, BRAIDED HOSES, CUSTOM SCREEN, GARMIN ZUMO 550 SAT NAV

#23 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:49 am

QUOTE(nubee @ Mon 26th Jan 2009, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Shane...been watching this thread for a while...I'm definitely not happy with the standard screens - I have the large yamaha touring screen, which is better than the standard one, but it's still not giving me the protection I want smile.gif

Having tested a Yamaha FJR1300 a while back...I fell in love with the electrically adjustable screen. Seeing your (pretty damn good) custom screen, I couldn't help wondering if there was a way of making the fittings adjustable in some way? If the sceen mounting angle and position could be adjusted, it would make the mounting hole position less hassle for you, and would allow adjustment of the aero characteristics - to a certain extent?

One idea I had...was to mount your screen on some suction cups, with various different length threaded tubes to give you the adjustment you need.

Link to suction cup supplier

The link above should take you to a site sporting some appropriate-looking suction cups.

Relying on suction cups entirely might be a bit iffy...so perhaps some adhesive on the front mounts? Once the correct position had been worked out, maybe a drop of silicone sealant of something like that?

Just thoughts wacko.gif

Co-incidentally I've been having the same thoughts. I'm working on an idea for an adjustable mounting kit that will give around 80mm adjustment.
watch this space! wink.gif smile.gif drinks.gif

cheers, Shane from Tassie

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#24 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:51 am

Well Gentlemen ( ladies as well ) here I sit at my PC, The fans are screaming 'cause it's 31.5 celcius inside the house ( never above 26 till now ) & outside it's around 40 celcius! isurrender.gif

After all this TigerScreen stuff going along so well I have hit a LARGE stumbling block & so I'm in a fairly ordinary mood at present. sad.gif
I had thought that all bases were covered & everything was AOK to ship screen kits out. NOT SO! notfunny.gif

Basically, for the past 3 months I have phoned, e-mailed & harassed as many people in government as I could to get difinative answers on design rules, specifications
for motorcycle screens, materials, International laws, etc,etc. Mostly the bureaucrats involved showed little interest & often didn't bother to return my calls so I pressed on with
the development of the screen. rolleyes.gif dry.gif

I did this in the knowledge that a large number of screen manufacturers use the same plastic I've been working with.
Then I saw this ohmy.gif Acrylic vs Polycarbonate screen which I found somewhat disconcerting. unsure.gif

" Is the Plexiglass I'm using this fragile ? " The answer's below. shocked.gif My new High Impact Acrylic version is excellent, I couldn't break it using the same test.

So after some more harassment I eventually found a bloke who has been very helpful & provided links to ADR's which can otherwise be hard to find.

The Australian Design Rule 08 for motorcycle screens states that the test sample must be held rigid which I did while hurling stones at it. tongue.gif

I don't believe that when mounted on the TDM as I've done that it will be near that fragile as the rubber mountings & also the bikini fairing it's mounted to allow for a fair amount of flexion. So I will continue to use this on my bike, however I am not prepared to risk anyone else's safety.

That said, unfortunately I must withdraw this screen kit from sale.
sorry.gif But The new version is now available

I do apologise to those blokes that paid their money. I will refund it in full back to your respective PayPal accounts within the next few days.

It is possible that, if I can find a plastics fabricator that can mold Polycarbonate, I may offer it for sale again at a later date.
In the meantime I'll be looking at an adjustable mounting system.

Edited by TDMtoraneko, 08 August 2009 - 01:57 am.

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#25 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:49 pm

Fair play to ya fer the upfront honesty Shane. I had no idea how much hassle you have had trying to get the screen approved etc. The idea is wicked and if it ever makes it in polycarb guise with the adjustments like the MRA Vario screens have then i would imagine it will sell well indeed. cheers Wick.

ps. i can almost see up yer shorts.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#26 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:12 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Mon 2nd Feb 2009, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fair play to ya fer the upfront honesty Shane.

wifgeni.gif

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Mon 2nd Feb 2009, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

rotflmmfao.gif again wifgeni.gif
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#27 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:18 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Tue 3rd Feb 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fair play to ya fer the upfront honesty Shane. I had no idea how much hassle you have had trying to get the screen approved etc. The idea is wicked and if it ever makes it in polycarb guise with the adjustments like the MRA Vario screens have then i would imagine it will sell well indeed. cheers Wick.

QUOTE(dapleb @ Tue 3rd Feb 2009, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wifgeni.gif
rotflmmfao.gif again wifgeni.gif

rotflmmfao.gif Trust you blokes to notice that. They do appear to be riding up into the unknown. It's the angle(honest) they're not that short. It has been bloody HOT here lately though, so the less worn

the better. tongue.gif

Thanks for the support fellas. good.gif I don't quit that easy & a polycarbonate screen with adjustable mounts is still on the cards. The only problem with polycarbonate is the price.

I'm negotiating with a bloke across the water in Victoria who can do polycarbonate. At this stage I'm guessing the cost will be around $300 au, approx' 133GBP including shipping to UK or Europe.
But I guess it's a case of how much your personal safety is worth vs the cost of the screen ? dunno.gif

I have tried a flexible laminate behind the Acrylic versions as an alternative but it only made a slight improvement in toughness & makes the screen foggy so that idea's in the bin as well. dry.gif

This " little project " has cost me a few bucks already but I guess to be sure I will have to get a Polycarbonate screen made for myself to test before I can give it the go ahead. rolleyes.gif

fingers & other bits crossed. drinks.gif

#28 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:22 am

Well here we are another few months down the track & I've been down but not out.

Things are looking promising for a High impact Acrylic version that I'll be comfortable selling to to y'all.

A bloke in NSW is testing / reviewing the screen for me at present. Stay tuned. smile.gif

#29 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:24 am

good lad, i thought ya had given up on the idea !

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#30 AussieTDMer

AussieTDMer

arrived on last train

• 5 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:42 am

Howdy all, I have been testing / reviewing Shane’s Tiger Screen for a few weeks now and can give it the thumbs up. I picked up a low km 07 TDM 900 about 3 months ago and after the test ride felt that bike fitted me just right. The only concern I had was the wind pressure and noise at my helmet would get tiring on a long ride. Being 185cm tall the windblast was hitting me just under the helmet and was very uncomfortable at higher speeds. I normally where moulded ear plugs but also needed to put a scarf around my neck which made a huge difference in stopping the wind getting into my helmet.
So after doing a lot of research into a replacement screen a came across Shane’s Tiger Screen. I think the reason Shane’s screen works so well is because it is mounted away from the main faring giving the laminar effect.

Now the bike is a real pleasure to ride and when at freeway speeds the wind hits me high on the visor with a smooth air flow and is a huge improvement in reducing the wind noise and I can now turn my head left and right without it being ripped off. The bike is very stable when passing traffic on the freeway as well and gives great upper body protection that helps in the cooler months!

So a big thanks to Shane for designing a quality product that works for me and will be staying on my bike with no need to try other screens.

The screen arrived very well packaged with all mounting hardware and instructions.

#31 Magic

Magic

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:01 pm

Looks good - will there be an 850 version?
Magic

The bike is faster than the eye or the hand.

Reborn MK1 - rubbish exhaust, dirty engine, missing bolts, missing mirrors, leathal rear tyre, crap carbs - but it doesn't ground out like my old CB750 Custom used to do :-)
Now with DL650 handguards and Garmin Sat Nav

#32 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• 1,548 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:47 am

G'day,

Does AussieTDMer's post mean there's a new product ready to ship?

How much for the high impact acrylic item?

How does the fairing fare when loaded up with the extra drag area of the larger screen?

If I were to ride down to Tazzy, can I test ride one on my bike? (Seriously)

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#33 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:18 pm

QUOTE(Magic @ Sun 24th May 2009, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks good - will there be an 850 version?

If I could find someone in Tassie with an 850 to model one for then it could be done.

I know there a couple of 850's getting around Hobart, not sure if they're CARPE members ? unsure.gif

AZZA, to answer your questions.

G'day,

Does AussieTDMer's post mean there's a new product ready to ship? YES

How much for the high impact acrylic item? $195.00 au + about $25 to ship via registered post to Victoria.

How does the fairing fare when loaded up with the extra drag area of the larger screen?
I've been riding with the Tassie Tigerscreen on my 9'er for 8 months now, absolutely zero prob's good.gif
Also it's all about aerodynamics, the air flows smoothly around the screen so it doesn't cause much flexing at all.

If I were to ride down to Tazzy, can I test ride one on my bike? (Seriously) I'm just a one man operation mate, I make each screen to suite the rider so don't have them sitting on a shelf waiting
I haven't seen a screen manufacturer yet that will let you " Test Ride " one before you buy. ( Seriously )
wink.gif

Happy to make & ship one to you. Just give me your height in cm & do the screen sight measurements as shown & we can go from there. smile.gif

Here's AussieTDM's initial response on receiving my screen.

Picked up your screen Monday afternoon with no problems, thanks. I must say the quality and craftsmanship is top notch. Well done!
I had no problems fitting it to my bike and it looks really good. I have managed to go for a few local short rides and have noticed a huge difference in the amount of wind pressure it takes away from my upper body.
Am going away for a few days but when we return will take the bike for a decent ride and let you know how it goes. Have attached some pictures as well.
I like your idea of TDU and worth posting on Carpe as there seems to be a few Aussies posting.

Anyway will be in touch soon.

and this.

Well after putting a few kms on the TDM with your screen I am pleased to report it works a treat. It has totally taken the wind-blast away that previously hit me just under the helmet, and with the cooler days coming on is keeping me lot warmer.

It makes the bike a real pleasure to ride now, but the only thing I have noticed is that when I reach 75-80kph and above I get a very slight buffeting at the top of my visor and if I open the visor the buffeting comes in at eye level. This doesn’t concern me too much but am thinking it would be nice to have a second screen slightly higher for longer touring.

I do seem to look over it a lot more than the Givi screen on my V-Strom so a bit higher shouldn’t be a problem. Maybe my measurements where not accurate for the line if sight?

My answer to that is that he's sitting up straighter due to feeling more relaxed & comfortable. An additional 5cm in screen height would solve this I reckon.

Thanks again for such a great product that has solved my wind noise problem but has also made the bike a real joy to ride

My Thanks, Adam ( AussieTDM ) for testing & reviewing the screen for me.

Edited by TDMtoraneko, 08 August 2009 - 01:59 am.

#34 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:57 pm

QUOTE(AussieTDMer @ Sat 23rd May 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
Love the colour of that 9er
Mick

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#35 willsTDM

willsTDM

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 64 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:37 am

G'day Shane,
Are these still available? I have an '07 TDM that I fitted a 180mm over standard height 'eagle screen' to that I'm not 100 percent happy with. I've used Eagle products before with great results, maybe the TDM's unusual aerodynamics make it unsuitable for a regular design taller screen? The taller screen is okay at sub 90km/h speeds buts flexes greatly above that and seems to place the airstream at my eye level.........not ideal dry.gif

I have retained the original Yamaha screen, it looks as though this is what is used with your product? What would freight cost to Sydney be?

Cheers William.
Cheers William from OZ. '07 TDM9.

#36 zippychips

zippychips

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:59 am

QUOTE(TDMick @ Tue 26th May 2009, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
Love the colour of that 9er
Mick

Hi Shane,

i know this is slightly off topic but....

would you consider making a screen for the xtz750?

theres a rake of people on xtz750.com that would gladly give decent money for a screen that resembled the screen used in ninties paris dakar xtz's super tenere's

for the price your asking for this screen i think youd coin it in from the folks with xtz 's

if your interested may i please be placed at the front of the queue for a screen

regards

zippy

#37 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:36 pm

QUOTE(zippychips @ Thu 4th Jun 2009, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Shane,

i know this is slightly off topic but....

would you consider making a screen for the xtz750?

theres a rake of people on xtz750.com that would gladly give decent money for a screen that resembled the screen used in ninties paris dakar xtz's super tenere's

for the price your asking for this screen i think youd coin it in from the folks with xtz 's

if your interested may i please be placed at the front of the queue for a screen
regards

zippy

Hey Zippy, can you show me a piccie as I'm not familiar with that screen & do you know anyone in the Hobart area with an xtz750 that I can model the screen on ?
Then I can give you a yes or no.

#38 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:44 pm

QUOTE(willsTDM @ Thu 4th Jun 2009, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
G'day Shane,
Are these still available? I have an '07 TDM that I fitted a 180mm over standard height 'eagle screen' to that I'm not 100 percent happy with. I've used Eagle products before with great results, maybe the TDM's unusual aerodynamics make it unsuitable for a regular design taller screen? The taller screen is okay at sub 90km/h speeds buts flexes greatly above that and seems to place the airstream at my eye level.........not ideal dry.gif

I have retained the original Yamaha screen, it looks as though this is what is used with your product? What would freight cost to Sydney be?

Cheers William.

Taking orders now mate. If ya want one It's $195 + $28 to ship to NSW via registered mail. I will need your height & sight settings done as per post #15 on this thread.
Yes the original screen stays on with my screen mounted on top as per pics.

PM me when you're ready with all details including address to ship to. It will take a few weeks to make & ship.

Edited by TDMtoraneko, 08 August 2009 - 02:00 am.

#39 zippychips

zippychips

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:00 pm

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Thu 4th Jun 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Zippy, can you show me a piccie as I'm not familiar with that screen & do you know anyone in the Hobart area with an xtz750 that I can model the screen on ?
Then I can give you a yes or no.

hi shane

the picture listed in the link is similar to whats needed it doesnt have to have any metal round it but it does have to be more upright. to allow for onboard computers and gps units etc

im not sure about anyone down under with an xtz but ill put a posting on the xtz site and appeal for a willing ginnea pig.

anyway heres the link

http://www.xtz750.co...php?f=28&t=1214

#40 willsTDM

willsTDM

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 64 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:52 am

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Thu 4th Jun 2009, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Taking orders now mate. If ya want one It's $175 + $28 to ship to NSW via registered mail. I will need your height & sight settings done as per post #15 on this thread.
Yes the original screen stays on with my screen mounted on top as per pics.

PM me when you're ready with all details including address to ship to. It will take a few weeks to make & ship.

Thanks Shane,
I'll get the info to you by PM over the next few days. Looks like you've cured my headaches! literally!
Cheers laugh.gif
Cheers William from OZ. '07 TDM9.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users