85 replies to this topic

#41 Commando

Commando

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 109 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:42 pm

It doesn't matter how much you pay for your helmet if doesn't fit properly!!!!!
03 TDM 900
71 Norton 750 Fastback

#42 fatchap

fatchap

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Location:Sunny Blackpool The FORMER home of Premier League Football

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:13 pm

QUOTE(LDRider @ Tue 1st Mar 2011, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was thinking same thing. I won't buy a bike jacket w/o decent back protection.

Then keep away from Rukka! My jacket,nearly 500quid and no back protector! Not even a pocket to fit one!!!

#43 MattTDM

MattTDM

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 112 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:38 pm

Anyone tried Aldi's trousers? http://www.aldi.co.u...buys3_17780.htm

#44 Bobos

Bobos

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:50 pm

QUOTE(MattTDM @ Tue 1st Mar 2011, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone tried Aldi's trousers? http://www.aldi.co.u...buys3_17780.htm

When I took my test, about three years ago, the instructor had Aldi trousers; I took my step-son for his test last week and the instructor was still wearing them (hopefully he'd changed at some point to wash them...), said they were still holding up fine.
We're all going to die, so let's be nice.

#45 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:46 pm

some bargains there!

Dunno about the lids..... I've got an Arai and feel it's going to do a top job if ever it's needed, but the main reason for buying it is that I can wear it all day and still feel comfy. That's one of the most important things I'd say, decent fit and comfort. If you're not comfy, you'll lose concentration, then BANG!

#46 newstu

newstu

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:03 pm

then Lidl boots are the dogs danglies - i wear mine all the time with a bit of dubbin every so often dry and comfy too!
2002 TDM 900

Please dont tell my Mom I ride a TDM - she thinks I spend my weekends in a brothel

#47 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:42 pm

QUOTE(mh1848 @ Tue 1st Mar 2011, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But you want to know how safe is safe! And a dearer helmet is not necessarily safer than a cheaper one - for example the Shoei XR1000 at £295 RRP gets 3*** but my Bell M1 at £165 gets 5*****

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

may make some of you want to change your helmets if if gets red ratings for any protection (like side protection for the SHoei mentioned above) blink.gif

you would need to know make and model of aldi/lidl models and then compare

I really wish I hadn't seen that. I went to see how well my S1 pro measures up. 2 stars ohmy.gif !!! £450 of helmet. OMG. ranting.gif

Edited by TKH, 02 March 2011 - 07:43 pm.

#48 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:04 pm

Well chaps i have just returned from Aldi biggrin.gif 1 set of compression undergarments (for my fat belly and arse ) and 1 set of windstopper garments,, good value for money,,,they feel the biz and will be tested tomorrow,,,also got a balaclava which feels very soft and comfy,,,,sizes i got are XL which i think are the biggest,,,,,,,soooooo if your larger than a 48" chest and 40" waist ya may find them a bit snug,,, also last year i bought a pair of thermals from Lidl and if they are the same again this year i would suggest Aldi's are the better of the 2,,,get there early.

Edit,,,, Had a look at the boots and they seem very robust albeit a bit plasticky sort of,,,still good value,,if i never already had Gortex boots i would buy a pair.

Edited by dablik, 02 March 2011 - 08:06 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#49 Snorvey

Snorvey

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:31 pm

I have an Aldi lid (although its a spare now). Not bad at all if you were getting back into bikes (as I was) and spent your time pottering around the countryside. Quiet (still needed earplugs) , comfy and the visor mechanism was positive and effective.

The Aldi gloves were good too until they got soaked (at the speed run as pictured in my avatar) and the lining came out when I took them off. I just could not get it to go back in. I still have a pair of boots. The protection is a bit poor but they are warm and waterproof.

Did I mention 135mph?

And that's official

#50 sireastwood

sireastwood

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:37 pm

QUOTE(dablik @ Wed 2nd Mar 2011, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well chaps i have just returned from Aldi biggrin.gif 1 set of compression undergarments (for my fat belly and arse ) and 1 set of windstopper garments,, good value for money,,,they feel the biz and will be tested tomorrow,,,also got a balaclava which feels very soft and comfy,,,,sizes i got are XL which i think are the biggest,,,,,,,soooooo if your larger than a 48" chest and 40" waist ya may find them a bit snug,,, also last year i bought a pair of thermals from Lidl and if they are the same again this year i would suggest Aldi's are the better of the 2,,,get there early.

Edit,,,, Had a look at the boots and they seem very robust albeit a bit plasticky sort of,,,still good value,,if i never already had Gortex boots i would buy a pair.

Yup looks like a trippy for me to get the boots, thermals and anything that i like the look/feel/price of rolleyes.gif
Muppet with a spanner
I'm not afraid of death. It's the stake one puts up in order to play the game of life.
Black 07 Niner wiv scott oiler and The House Of Henty Stainless Enjun Kit(Thanks Lee)
Crash Bungs......(Thanks again Lee)
Stainless brake pad pins ...(Thanks again Lee)
Double Bubble Screen, Pipe Werx Oval Black SL Zorsts,Clear LED Rear Light Unit, Clear Indicators, PUIG Bellypan,Black Renthal 755 Medium Road Bars with Brace (Thanks Moose)

#51 Snorvey

Snorvey

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:30 am

Well I nipped down to Aldi today and picked up a pair of boots.

http://www.aldi.co.u...buys3_17786.htm

For thirty quid, not bad at all. They seem to be well enough and they're comfy enough.

Toe sliders an everyfink!

S
Did I mention 135mph?

And that's official

#52 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:03 pm

There the same as my brothers, they've lasted a year of daily use so aint bad at all for £30

#53 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:07 pm

QUOTE(LDRider @ Tue 1st Mar 2011, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was thinking same thing. I won't buy a bike jacket w/o decent back protection.

CE approved shoulder, elbow and back protectors - from their advert -

and i can confirm when i was in getting the windproof underwear (windproof from the outside i think - have not had them on yet to check if they trap wind from the inside!) i checked out the jacket and it has back protection insert - and come on what are you wanting for less than £40? My Frank Thomas only came with elbow and shoulder protection although it can also take back protection and it was twice that price.

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#54 Gobsheen

Gobsheen

really likes Carpe

• 88 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:07 pm

Just been to aldi. I just picked up the compression top and bottom. Here's my thoughts on the other bits if it helps.

Jacket and trousers both look really good for the money. Both feel well made with decent protection pads. They zip together. The yellow bits look like they'll be manky dirty in no time though. I'm going to stick to a yellow bib.

I was surprised how good the helmet was. I'm no expert but it looked a bargain. Felt solid but not too heavy. Comes with a spare visor, bag and cheek pads.

Gloves just ok. I didn't bother but they'd do the job. IMO, they look cheap.

Boots are a great bargain.

Lock very good for a tenner.

I still don't get the socks! Multicoloured socks.....that's all I'm seeing!

Edited by Gobsheen, 03 March 2011 - 01:31 pm.

#55 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:16 pm

Bonzo here just came back from Lidl istupid.gif

Aldi in a bit then!

#56 Snorvey

Snorvey

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:01 pm

Bonzo here just came back from Lidl

You should have just camped outside the shop until Monday - thats when they have their bike gear on sale!
Did I mention 135mph?

And that's official

#57 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:48 pm

Yeh, saw the big poster outside

(Did buy a load of pizzas though, Get the 'Inferno' nom nom nom and spicy too!)

Anyway Aldi, Bought some boots, a chain and a jacket. For £30 what a whopping bargain. Well made cumfy and back protection.

Well pleased. Asked the Oik how the sales of bike gear was going, he said most of the boots had gone, jackets were getting low and chains were not moving very well

Oh, XL was all I could find, so if you bigger than Fat Cats your in twubble

#58 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:50 pm

Dragged aircooled out for a bimble today and i wore the windstopper leggings under my leather pants plus compression shirt with windstopper over that,,,, very toasty indeed,, and it was very nippy to say the least,,,,, defo value for money in my onion,,, tup.gif

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#59 MattTDM

MattTDM

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 112 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:41 pm

QUOTE(dablik @ Wed 2nd Mar 2011, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got these as well windtopper and undergarments, how would they do in hot summer riding? Better with something else?

#60 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:33 pm

Well Matt i just wear me thong when it's hot m8 yeahyeahyeah.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users