• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:07 pm

Does anyone know what thread the swing arm pivot on a MK2a has? Mine is siezed solid so I want to make a screw on drift to get some decent whacking power on it without messing up the pivot.

Or does anyone have a spare nut that I can weld to a bar?

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#2 oldman

oldman

seems to like Carpe

• 78 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:51 pm

Try heat and penetrating oil,be persistent it will work.You may need many attempts but it will work.

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:19 pm

Pivot shaft and nut are M14 SB.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:53 pm

Thanks Studders, don't happen to know pitch do you?

I'm thinking 1.25 at the moment, will have to find the pitch gauges at work.

Edited by Snowbird, 17 January 2021 - 08:43 pm.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

#5 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:32 pm

I was wrong, M14 x 1.5 it seems, I have ordered a couple of standard nuts and the plan is to make an adaptor to go on end of a slide hammer so I can screw it to the end solidly and whack away knowing it's nice and square and can't miss and hit anything else or peen the thread over, once it gives use a regular drift.

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 07:07 pm

Hope it all goes swimmingly for you SB. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 06:53 pm

My slide hammer adaptor worked a treat to get it moving, I could steady the bike with one hand and thrash away with the other with no hope of missing, once it started moving it drifted out nicely, that's me happier, just gotta sort the rear caliper now.

I had visions of me slipping and putting a lump hammer through the side of the engine or puting a huge crease in the frame, now to clean up and squirt loads of acf50 inside the swinger.

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:32 pm

Good job SB.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:12 am

Good skills SB. :good:

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:46 am

I like it, if it dont work hit it with a hammer  :D

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:30 am

I like it, if it dont work hit it with a hammer  :D

And if that don't work it must be an electrical fault.....

#12 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:41 am

And if that don't work it must be an electrical fault.....

Rubber hammer for that scenario..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#13 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:50 am

Woohoo the day that just keeps giving! Swing arm pivot shifts, bleed screw shifts, and to top it off yodel text me at tea break to say my beer delivery is due this afternoon! :drinks:

I'll probably get home and find the dog has shit in my crash helmet to make up for it.....

Edit: Crash helmet turd free (till I put it on), beer arrived, and hermes came up trumps over the bit of centrestand they lost (thanks for sorting Lewis), what a day.

Edited by Snowbird, 22 January 2021 - 06:28 pm.

#14 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:31 am

Result ! In anyone's book.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#15 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:14 am

Woohoo the day that just keeps giving! Swing arm pivot shifts, bleed screw shifts, and to top it off yodel text me at tea break to say my beer delivery is due this afternoon! :drinks:

I'll probably get home and find the dog has shit in my crash helmet to make up for it.....

Edit: Crash helmet turd free (till I put it on), beer arrived, and hermes came up trumps over the bit of centrestand they lost (thanks for sorting Lewis), what a day.

That too much luck in one day, think I'd stay in bed for the next couple. :lol:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#16 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:00 am

I did buy an extra euromillions ticket just in case the run lasted, got all excited this morning when I got a "news about your ticket" email, £4.70 Doh! I doubt I'll retire on that but still better than the £2.50 it cost.

#17 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 02:54 pm

Doh! Lucks run out, went to remove rear disk and found all the bolts were rounding out, thought no problem I'll gring the heads off to get the disk off and weld nuts over the stubs, no sodding chance of going that easy, 2 came out ok but 4 are fighting hard with one sheared off below the surface level so looks like some drilling needed, may be able to make a drilling jig from old disk at least.

#18 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 January 2021 - 03:20 pm

Doh! Lucks run out, went to remove rear disk and found all the bolts were rounding out, thought no problem I'll gring the heads off to get the disk off and weld nuts over the stubs, no sodding chance of going that easy, 2 came out ok but 4 are fighting hard with one sheared off below the surface level so looks like some drilling needed, may be able to make a drilling jig from old disk at least.

The best trick I know is to apply heat to soften any lockthreading compound. I use a hot air heat gun, give it 3-5 minutes to the area around the bolt as well as the bolt head, and it almost always does the trick

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#19 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:31 pm

The best trick I know is to apply heat to soften any lockthreading compound. I use a hot air heat gun, give it 3-5 minutes to the area around the bolt as well as the bolt head, and it almost always does the trick

:good:

I use a blow torch with a large washer around the head. Bout 25 secs worth and they normally break free.
Looks like you've got some work to do SB. :sorry:

Edited by Catteeclan, 24 January 2021 - 08:31 pm.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#20 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:18 pm

I use a blow torch with a large washer around the head. Bout 25 secs worth and they normally break free.

Please explain a bit more.

1. Is the hole in the washer big enough for the bolt head, so it lies flat around it?

2. Does the washer protect the metal into which the bolt is threaded?

3. Is the idea to reduce the heat into the surrounding metal or simply to protect the metal's surface and finish?

4. How big a washer is recommended?

I'm stocking up info just in case.....

Thanks for the reply.

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users