Photo
- - - - -

Just When You Thought....... (Moving On From The 3 String Hubcap)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:02 pm

Those who followed my earlier dabbling in the weird world of DIY stringed instruments may remember that the hubcap model turned out surprizingly well but left some frustrations, eg narrow fingerboard restricted the number of strings to 3, and the humped body created a huge action which ruled out frets. These and other issue s would be solved by moving to a cigar box instrument which I'm heading towards, but before abandoning metal for wood I wondered whether I could hang on and build some sort of resonator thingy - a poor boy's dobro. Watch this space.

Meanwhile, see National Guitars' video "Resonate" on YouTube for a bit of background.

Edited by Pict, 17 January 2015 - 06:13 pm.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#2 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:08 pm

Well, as usual any interesting idea will almost surely have been looked at by someone else already, and in this case pretty well by a network of better builders than me. But by and large they've just been after the metallic tone and have built into an already amplified system, which was a bit short of ideal, and anyway those smug Republican buggers at National hacked me off so I thought I'd have a DIY dabble especially as I'd found some 40x10 mm alloy extrusion for a flat frettable neck with 4 strings. Bolted on a couple of s/s dog bowls from Wilkos for a simple prototype as shown. Tone and sustain are good, and unplugged volume enough for home use. Will post a soundbite asap. Further ideas for improving volume are in hand, but don't worry, I'm not going to make a big story of this.

Attached Files

Edited by Pict, 18 January 2015 - 07:48 am.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users