#1 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,084 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:47 pm

Nephew slid off his Yamaha YBR 125 today in town, on a swathe of diesel spilling from from a bus.

Bike has bent handlebar, bent foot rest and possible twisted forks. He is in hospital with a broken/twisted knee and sore elbow. Don't know the full extent as his is still being treated.

The good thing is he has it all on HD video and the camera came out unscathed.

He was going slowly on the video to try to avoid it but just touched it and he was down.

Just bad luck for the lad as he was riding safely, not hooning around.

There is lots of it about so stay safe lads.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:53 pm

Hope it doesn't put him off riding bikes, best wishes for a quick and full recovery nephew Henty.

EDIT: I think he needs to tell the bus company so's they can fix the leak and get some compo. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,251 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:56 pm

:wifgeni:  Hope nothing long term Lee, sue the bus company

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#4 silverback

silverback

sticking around

• 35 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:25 pm

Not just diesel spillage we need to look out for, going to work early yesterday morning a tractor puled out of a field spreading mud all over the road and my car.

wishing him a speedy recovery.

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,084 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:48 pm

thanks guys hopefully he will keep on biking.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#6 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:21 pm

Had my first bad accident at 16 while filtering on the way to work on my FS1E. Snapped my leg and was in full length plaster for weeks after. It never put me off riding, it hurt like billyoh, but was just a painful lesson.

As was mentioned in another thread, diesel spills are becoming a constant hazard and there needs to be some repercussions for the culprits. Hit them where it hurts is the only way. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#7 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:29 pm

My boy came off his YBR not long after CBT too, luckily very low speed in ASDA car park, resulting only in a couple of scrapes and a bruise.  Much as it's concerning, I was actually quite glad he'd experienced a minor off early doors before he'd got cocky in that 'I'm invincible' way that teenagers do.  Hope your nephew is back on the horse soon.

1996 TDM850 in Yellow, Motad Nexxus, MK1 bashplate, Acerbis handguards, K&N, Xenons, Aux lamps, Bluespot calipers, Renthal 755 bars, DIY panniers, JBX-inspired gear indicator.  (Currently not on the road.)

Bikes wot I have had and dun't have any more: 1983 Honda CB125TDC, 1976 Kawasaki S1C (early KH250 stroker triple), 1986 Honda VF500F2, 1992 Kawasaki KLE500.

#8 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:53 pm

My lad did the same - on a roundabout when we on the way to a camping weekend in Wales - I never actually saw it, because he was following - I smelt the diesel, went steady, looked in my mirror & he was down !

We bent everything straight & carried on to the camp site - he had a sore shoulder, so rode pillion on mine for the rest of the weekend & was fine to ride home 

Get him straight back on as soon as you can Lee.

Hope he is OK - they're very resilient at that age  :good:

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#9 mintex

mintex

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:06 pm

I hope  hes ok and not too badly hurt and jumps back on a bike when he can, be a shame if an off at an early age puts him off bikes  :good:

Also if he has it on camera I would  report the incident to the company.

Edited by mintex, 17 January 2015 - 10:07 pm.

Dave

#10 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:12 pm

Had me two years back, my mint Z1000 on a motorway, went to slow up and bam! No chance! Hope he is ok, my arm is still buggered!
2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#11 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,084 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:13 am

update: he has a dislocated knee put back in by the medics and sore elbow. Other than bumps and bruises he's ok.

Can't walk without crutches. His mum has gone up the wall vowing he'll never ride a bike again, but she'll calm down.

He was more worried about his drift ghost HD cam as it's new, but it hasn't got a scratch. His new boot is ruined and they cut off his trousers but they are easily replaced. Thanks the lord he took our advice and wore the proper kit.

It's taken 20mph off his top speed I'll bet.

All of our family are bikers except my sister, so the other nephew and him can compare battle scars. They've both had offs now.

Other nephew is a motocrosser so he falls off all the time.

#12 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:03 am

Ouch, glad to hear he's more or less ok, and as you say lucky he listened to advice and had all the kit on.

Much as it's concerning, I was actually quite glad he'd experienced a minor off early doors before he'd got cocky in that 'I'm invincible' way that teenagers do.  Hope your nephew is back on the horse soon.

I can definitely see the worth in that, I drove like a twat when I was a youngster so it;s probably just as well I didn't get a bike until I was 25.  A minor scare early in his biking career is a nice reminder of his vulnerability.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#13 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:24 am

Pleased to hear he's ok Lee :good: everything will mend by the sounds of it and  hope he makes a speedy recovery! I for one would like to hear how he comes on with his insurance, regarding the off being caused by a deisel spill?

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#14 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:15 am

This is becoming a bit too common now but what can we do.

Hope the lad carries on biking.

#15 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:55 am

Glad to hear he's OK.

Sounds like he's learned the value of wearing the right kit.

Will the camera provide any evidence against so he can go after the bus that caused the spill?

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#16 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,745 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:45 am

Wishing a speedy recovery, had a few off's meself  :)  he's young and will mend well, get him back on Lee, and defo go after the bus company if you have visual proof.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#17 gilly

gilly

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 61 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 18 January 2015 - 01:26 pm

Glad to hear he,s ok Lee and he makes a speedy recovery

also glad he was wearing the right kit

phil

A shin is a device for finding furniture in a dark room

A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

#18 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,445 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:17 pm

, I drove like a twat when I was a youngster

What do you mean "when you were a youngster?". Sorry Chris. It was too good an opportunity to miss!!

Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#19 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:56 pm

What do you mean "when you were a youngster?". Sorry Chris. It was too good an opportunity to miss!!

Ali

I know the feeling - had a few 'offs' in my early days, but hadn't broken a bone until I hit 50 - since then, I've done my collarbone in the Pennines, & smashed my ankle in the Pyrenees  :rolleyes:

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#20 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,084 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:20 pm

upon checking bike today, it seems the aforesaid nephew is due a good clip round the earhole. :rant:

Can't do that until the fractured patella has healed.  :putemup:

Tyres, 14 psi front 15 psi rear. New chain fitted a month ago rusty and very loose. Handlebar bolts loose, split pin missing from brake torque arm. The kid has been fiddling around with things and neglecting the vital maintenance.

Other than that, bent foot rest, handlebar and gear lever are about the extent of damage.

Video upon close examination, shows him winding throttle on hard whilst leaned over and still hard on when slide happened.

Bike spun round 180 degrees. Engine was shut off by the tilt switch.

Bike is now chained to wall in brothers lockup unit until nephew:

1. heals up

2. gets more on road training.

3. pays for the bits to mend it.

He's still due a smacking though, from three  annoyed Uncles.....  :punishment:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users