34 replies to this topic

#1 AlanG

AlanG

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 106 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:46 pm

Im looking to buy another Texstile type jacket. There are plenty on the market nowdays. I had a Heine Gericke one once but I believe they no longer trading. Any recommendations. ?

#2 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:06 pm

They are still trading. There is even a store still open in Belfast. But everything is very expensive there. Much cheaper to order it from their German site. Trying it on is a problem though.

I have been using Weise jackets for years. They last and last and never have let a drop of water through. When everybody else stopped to put rain gear on I never bothered. And at the end of the season just remove armour and stick it in the washing machine on cool with soap flakes. Top job.

Rob

#3 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:15 pm

If you want and can afford the best it's RUKKA or BMW you won't regret it.
For a cheaper alternative I like REV-IT.

Edited by Gasman, 23 August 2015 - 03:16 pm.

#4 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:23 pm

Agreed Weise is good quality and value.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#5 AlanG

AlanG

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:29 pm

Cheers for that. I'll track down a local Weise dealer !

#6 Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:40 pm

Wolf Titanium  :good:

Mk1' R1 gold spot front calipers • HH sintered front pads • FJR1300 front master cylinder • K&N air filter • Factory Pro emulsion tubes • Oxford heated grips • Mirror extenders • KTM handguards • Baglux tank cover and bag. 12v auxiliary socket • Delkevic 2 into 1 exhaust system • Engine guards • Chrome radiator guard • Renthal bars • Touring screen. Optimate and Oil pressure switch/light mod (Leehenty special!) to be fitted. Tom Tom rider V2 europe. GoPro HD Hero. Fenda extender.
Triumph Tiger 955i with stuff added.

#7 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:35 am

They tend to be expensive but I'd always try to go for a bonded goretex jacket rather a goretex lined one having had a Heine Gericke Master V for several years.  Lined jackets tend to soak up a lot of water in the outer shell, whcih is then stopped by the lining, but result in the jacket not being as warm, and taking ages to dry.  The bonded goretex sheds it from the outer layer so insulates better and drys really quickly, which is great in a commuting jacket, I've had lined jackets that are still damp from the morning ride when it's home time, whereas the bonded one is bone dry by lunch time.  I know Rukka and BMW make them, dunno who else though.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:54 am

Another Weise fan here. I have been using a Weise Dynastar 2 as my bad weather/winter jacket for about the last 6 years or so. Never let a drop if water in, really comfy and had lots of pockets. Not the warmest jacket and the sizes come up a little on the small side, so get at least a size bigger than you think and allow for layering up.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#9 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:38 pm

They tend to be expensive but I'd always try to go for a bonded goretex jacket rather a goretex lined one having had a Heine Gericke Master V for several years.  Lined jackets tend to soak up a lot of water in the outer shell, whcih is then stopped by the lining, but result in the jacket not being as warm, and taking ages to dry.  The bonded goretex sheds it from the outer layer so insulates better and drys really quickly, which is great in a commuting jacket, I've had lined jackets that are still damp from the morning ride when it's home time, whereas the bonded one is bone dry by lunch time.  I know Rukka and BMW make them, dunno who else though.

From doing many miles in rain snow and everything else, I can concur with the above comments. Basically you only get what you pay for.

#10 AlanG

AlanG

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:56 pm

The Klin range seem a good spec too but at the end of the day you only get what you pay for !

#11 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:25 pm

Wolf Titanium  :good:

Ah Danny you obviously noticed how handsome i looked in mine at Leominster  :D  i would second that choice, feels more like a casual jacket when on, try one.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#12 fatchap

fatchap

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Location:Sunny Blackpool The FORMER home of Premier League Football
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:59 pm

I used to wear a Hein Gericke jacket, not the Master series but the Goretex jacket one level down. It finally fell to bits, and despite trying on the then new
Master jacket I decided against this due to HG's imminent demise and bought a
Rukka. Even getting it from Germany, it was still north of £450 It is nowhere near as good as the HG. It's not so warm, and within 3 months the main zip tag had fallen off and a pocket zip had to be replaced. Beware, if you buy from abroad you
have to return abroad to get anything done under warranty, and they don't want to know.
In my experience they are vastly overpriced and vastly overated.

If you want true warmth and water prorection go for something made of animal
skin!

Get yourself a DONKEY JACKET!!!!!! Ha Ha

#13 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:00 am

If you want true warmth and water protection go for something made of animal skin!

I often wonder what happened in the history of cattle for them to evolve skin that's good for sliding down tarmac.

While I agree you can't beat leather for protection, I'm a massive fan of goretex.  I have seen some leather and goretex jackets but again I assume once they get wet they're freezing and take bloody ages to dry out.  I've worn cordura and goretex for a long time now, ever since my 2 piece leather shrank one winter.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#14 AlanG

AlanG

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:30 pm

I'm struggling to find any Weise stockists in the south east that carry any textile jacket stock at least in their top end ones. I spoke to them by phone but it seems they trade mostly in the south west. Pity !

#15 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:54 pm

Make it a trip to Cornwall! Lovely ride.

GT Motorcycles keep a good stock. Or Fowlers in Bristol keep almost the entire stock.

Or risk online. Plenty to be had there.

Can anybody near you let you try one on for size?

Rob

#16 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:31 am

If your interested in buying a Weise i would really recommend trying for size before buying, i found sizes a bit small.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#17 AlanG

AlanG

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:51 am

Where abouts in Cornwall ? Ive been staying in Boscastle for the last few years on holiday.

#18 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:56 pm

If your interested in buying a Weise i would really recommend trying for size before buying, i found sizes a bit small.

I think this applies to most jackets. Usually I have to buy at least one size larger.
I am L nearer XL but have to buy BMW 56, Tuareg XXXL, Belstakk XXL, Rukka L. You definitely need to try before you buy no matter what the make.

Edited by Gasman, 26 August 2015 - 02:58 pm.

#19 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:48 pm

KT Motorcycles in Plymouth are good. Not Cornwall, I know, but next door and easy ride from Boscastle. And then test the jacket by going down to the south coast from the shop. Stunning!

Rob

#20 tediumwannabe

tediumwannabe

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 198 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:26 pm

Wolf Titanium.....lucky enough to bag one on Fleabay for just over £100, worn once. Awesome jacket and would have happily paid full price for one if I'd missed this one. Sizes are small though and you need to try before you buy.

Edited by tediumwannabe, 13 September 2015 - 08:26 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users