17 replies to this topic

#1 surftdm850

surftdm850

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:35 pm

Hi,
Has anyone a simple way of remapping ecu unit on tdm 900. to improve fuel consumption

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:37 pm

If you mean cheap surf then i dont think so, you gotta spend fella far as i know, search the forum, fixitsan has remapped his to good benefit.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:40 pm

Didn't improve his consumption though.

Thought the 9'er was a very economical bike anyhoos.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:35 pm

For a 900 I can't see there's much room for improvement. Riding normally, operating mostly in the 3k to 5k rpm range, I regularly get 60+ mpg.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:38 pm

You could add a resistor in parallel with the air intake temperature sensor to lean it out even more at steady speeds....but I wouldn't go too far or you risk burning valves/plugs. Calculating the correct resistor value to find the best average change is time consuming and not very good when the air temperature changes quite dramatically either

I had mine remapped for various benefits at Samios - http://www.ecu-flash...yamaha/tdm-900/

If you speak to them then they'll be able to tell you how to remap for fuel savings. They would almost certainly be able to do it, if it can be done. You need to send your ECU (and payment of 250 Euro) to Greece and it also needs to be of a type which can be reflashed and isn't just a single flash unit. Samios (or whoever else you find to do it) can tell you from a photo of the product label stuck on the ECU if it is even possible. They have a book from Denso which they cross reference it with.

You can do it yourself too, there are tools available for about £150, but that's very deep water and it pays to buy a backup ECU, just in case.

The better option might be just to take your time, turn the throttle more slowly which reduces the rate of acceleration fuel enrichment, which is often introduced more if you turn the throttle quickly as opposed to turning it slowly. The reason that rotating the throttle from 0-100% in 2 seconds instead of 0.5 seconds is interpreted differently, is because the ECU assumes that when you turn the throttle quickly you intend to be accelerating harder than if you rotate it steadily. This TPS sensor rate volume adjustment can add up to a lot of fuel if you re switching from full to none throttle frequently.

You haven't said what your MPG is at the moment. Is that with luggage ? are the tyres properly inflated ? do you ride a lot in wet and windy weather ?...these all make a difference.

If I tried hard I could get as little as 135 miles from a tankful, now with my remap i can get it down to 120 miles. in both cases I can still get 200 miles if I take it easy, and if I try to get even more I would think it would be just as quick if i went in the car, or used a donkey ;)

Edited by fixitsan, 21 October 2017 - 03:52 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#6 surftdm850

surftdm850

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:44 am

Thanks for all the responses,
Seems remapping has little or no gains,unless it improves performance ?

#7 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:53 pm

Thanks for all the responses,
Seems remapping has little or no gains,unless it improves performance ?

It's a bit of both worlds, just because you get a better response or a faster bike once it's remapped there is nothing to say you have to use it. Making efficiency improvements mean that for any given load (EG 70mph in 6th gear) a more efficient engine/intake/exhaust system will use less fuel to achieve the same thing.

A new air intake filter might be a way to go.

#8 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:30 am

Never heard of anybody remapping an ecu to lower fuel consumption !

Or get a CG125...

Internal combustion engine efficiency is a strange thing, and on standard cars/bikes it's just a joke.

Best efficiency is 50% on some big (15m high) two-strokes diesel marine engines that have a fixed, low rpm and many other special characteristics.

On cars it's between 15-25% (best on engines with variable intake valve) and on bikes its even lower. You cannot have a good efficiency and a variable rpm engine.

That said there are many ways to improve efficiency, but not ecu remapping. The best known way is to put a turbo-charger, unfortunately it's not recommended on bikes. Other ways are variable intake valves, electric valves (camless engines), variable compression ratio, inhibiting cylinders on multi-cylinders engines, etc.

All theses efforts are worthless when comparing with an electrical engine ! :unsure2:

Edited by JBX, 23 October 2017 - 01:16 am.

top_640.png

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:55 am

The last couple of paragraphs on the following page suggest checking the O2 sensor. My previous description of the aging process wasn't complete, i didn't take into account the effect of an aging heater in the sensor itself, which would cause an artificially low output signal, read by the ECU as a lean mixture, which then causes more fuel than normal to be burned in order  to restore the sensor's output.

http://www.autotap.c...gen_sensors.asp

Here's the voltage output graph of a typical O2/lambda sensor which shows just how narrow it's linear range of operation is ! http://400ford.info/images/o2grph.jpg

EDIT - as far as I know the 900 uses the O2 sensor only during cruising, you can have poor economy even with a healthy sensor if you are throttle heavy when not in steady cruise. But if the economy is terrible and most of the riding is done in cruise then I would consider at least examining the sensor to make sure it is clean (blow it out with an air duster ? rinse with paraffin, petrol or naptha ?)

Edited by fixitsan, 23 October 2017 - 08:13 am.

#10 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:51 am

To lower mpg the best option is a smaller rear sprocket to change gearing.

As above the TDM is a pretty fruggal engine if  ridden carefully and not bad even when hammered.

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:14 am

:wifgeni:  Mainly because his avatar shows he looks loike he knows what he's talking about.  :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#12 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:36 am

:wifgeni:  Mainly because his avatar shows he looks loike he knows what he's talking about.  :good:

If only that was true  ;)

#13 surftdm850

surftdm850

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:43 am

Going of what fixitsan posted

Replacing air filter and checking o2 sensor cleaning or replacing it,
There is a diagnostic setting on the bike where you can adjust lean or richer settings on each cylinder.
Maybe that is worth looking into?

#14 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:44 pm

Going of what fixitsan posted

Replacing air filter and checking o2 sensor cleaning or replacing it,
There is a diagnostic setting on the bike where you can adjust lean or richer settings on each cylinder.
Maybe that is worth looking into?

You haven't written what mpg you're getting and how you ride.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#15 surftdm850

surftdm850

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:51 am

I am using 6.78litres for 52.3 miles.This is short runs in urban area ,max of 5 miles before stopping.My riding style is mostly easy on the throttle.

#16 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:00 pm

I am using 6.78litres for 52.3 miles.This is short runs in urban area ,max of 5 miles before stopping.My riding style is mostly easy on the throttle.

Short urban trips like that are a poor indication of the bikes overall fuel consumption. I had a similar commute and got crappy mpg. The bike hardly has time to warm up. The TDM is a leggy big twin, it likes to stretch.

Edited by muddy, 02 November 2017 - 03:29 pm.

#17 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:25 pm

I'd say that's pretty normal around town at least in my experience.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#18 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:26 am

I'd say that's pretty normal around town at least in my experience.

Doing some head scratching (not working in litres here) and it works out as 35mpg which in my experience is a little poor for a TDM.  When I used to commute into London on the TDM I would routinely manage around 170 miles to the light flashing, which at a guess is around the low 40's mpg.

As Muddy says though, I guess the bike hasn't had chance to get into it's stride as my commute was more like 10-15 miles, so enough time to warm up and get a decent average consumption.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users