14 replies to this topic

#1 Heavyboned

Heavyboned

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:02 pm

Hi
My bike is for sale in bits but I'll give you the story first.
Friend gave me the bike a a project for fun 3/4 years ago and madly took him up.
The bike has gone down to the bare bones - frame powder coated, engine painted, new colour scheme etc.
However I didn't use a patent head gasket when I rebuilt the engine, and so it blew on tour in france last year but I nursed it back.
I took it to a local garage in Horley where they replaced the gasket, water pump, timing chain and charged me £800. Paid them, and rode for a day and there was a bit of a knocking, so took it back to the garage, who said that they had thought it sounded odd, but maybe that's what TDM's sound like. Now they said that the big end had gone, so when I asked them why they hadn't fixed it, they replied that I'd only asked for the head gasket - how did they manage the water pump and timing chain - although I told then to fix anything you find wrong......
Anyway, they put a 13,000 mile engine in from a breaker but it didn't run correctly. Had the carb tuned at Slipstream, no joy although it was miles out. Next day I spotted some non-standard wires going to the coils - they'd piggy backed them together as they seem to have done something nasty to the ECU. Bought another ECU secondhand, which now has both outputs to the coils, but the timing is out (alternator, pickup????) and still is rough as hell, so I'm throwing in the towel. There is no going back as I've bought another germanic monster of a bike!!!
A quick list of bits follows if people want them before I go anywhere need ebay, and are priced without postage. Obviously all is available (frame, wheels etc), so this is only a brief overview, and all is pretty new as I've only had it on the road for a 4 month window.

Waterpump £100 (cost over £200)
Nitron Shock - top of the range with hydraulic preload and compression adjustment (set for 85-90kg rider) £300 (cost £650)
4TX ECU £80 (cost £120)
Tank and white plastics £200 (spray job was £700) - but the garage chipped the front next to the yoke - easy to put a bit of paint on it as it's not easily visible.
Front brake - £100 - Blue spots, braided and new pads.
The engine is probably fine but I haven't had the chance to ride properly due electrics so any ideas. I have the original engine as well but that would take someone keen.
Exhaust is all custom made stainless, carbon cans with legal stamp on it £500 (cost 1200)
Carbs £100 - had been sonically cleaned prior to the demise of the bike. It's dyno No 1, but I have the original stuff as well.
There's a Scottoiler, heated grips (top Oxford ones were £80 new).
Forks are like new. They have new stanchions, internal bushes, seals and progressive springs £150.
Anything else just let me know....

Andy

[attachment=2824:P1010123.jpg]
[attachment=2825:P1010124.jpg]
[attachment=2826:P1010125.jpg]
[attachment=2828:P1010126.jpg]
[attachment=2829:P1010127.jpg]
Oh, yes. The luggage is available - all three boxes £50.

Edited by Heavyboned, 17 January 2013 - 06:03 pm.

#2 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:56 pm

Does the luggage include the pannier frames & rack, Andy ?

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#3 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:09 pm

We (the royal we), may be interested in the gearbox from the original engine.
(and worry about the ratios afterwards)

Does anyone know whether or not a Mk2 gearbox can be substituted for a Mk1 unit?

I imagine the areas that would be crucial are the clutch basket and the bearing housings at each end of the gearbox shafts.
Any experience out there?

How much bottom end collected?

Edited by TYREDNGRUMPEE, 17 January 2013 - 09:33 pm.

#4 Oldcreaky

Oldcreaky

arrived on last train

• 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:40 pm

Recently purchased two K&N filters from Heavyboned along with two other items. I suspected on seeing the filters that they were not correct for a MK 2 and on comparison they were completely different. Using the K&N site i found by using the dimensions that they were clamp on universal filters and one application was for early injection engines from chevvy and the like. The part number on the filters does not appear on the web sit hence using the dimensions to identify.

I have been advised to post on this original item as i have sent a PM to Heavyboned last Sunday but no reply i would like to sort this matter out asap and have a refund of my payment. Any thoughts as to my next move would be appreciated.

Oldcreaky

#5 Doggy

Doggy

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:23 am

I pm'd him a, (granted), lower than asking price offer on the exhaust system - no reply just terminated conversation! 

Don't hold your breath!

#6 TaffyTDM

TaffyTDM

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 119 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:59 am

If its any help or a bit of hope I had the calipers from him, the bits turned up a day or so later, I paid via PayPal and the postage was less than he thought so he gave me back the difference, fingers crossed you guys get things sorted.

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:28 am

Recently purchased two K&N filters from Heavyboned along with two other items. I suspected on seeing the filters that they were not correct for a MK 2 and on comparison they were completely different. Using the K&N site i found by using the dimensions that they were clamp on universal filters and one application was for early injection engines from chevvy and the like. The part number on the filters does not appear on the web sit hence using the dimensions to identify.

I have been advised to post on this original item as i have sent a PM to Heavyboned last Sunday but no reply i would like to sort this matter out asap and have a refund of my payment. Any thoughts as to my next move would be appreciated.

Oldcreaky

He hasn't been online since the 4th Feb, may be on holibobs ? :unsure2: 

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 Doggy

Doggy

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:02 pm

Any update?

#9 Oldcreaky

Oldcreaky

arrived on last train

• 9 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:20 pm

No reply from Heavyboned as yet. It has been over two weeks since i first notified him of the problem with the filters, i will pm him one last time and if no reply will try and recoup part if not all of my outlay by placing them on ebay.

Thanks for the interest.

#10 TheFatBaxter

TheFatBaxter

seems to like Carpe

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:24 pm

Bit late on this but did your luggage and racks sell Andy?

If not I would love em.

Cheers, Bax

98 Mk2 Red (ex TDMIck's). 96 Mk2 silver/yellow, recovered and ready to re-build. 99 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 (Indian).

#11 MotoBloke

MotoBloke

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 191 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:35 am

Interested in forks. Please contact me if you want to sell.

MotoBloke
www.ShineMyBike.com
Sinny, Ostraya
98 TDM850L 4TX series aka Mk2a 146000km
Tiger screen; Laser ProStock exhaust; large old Givi topbox; ProTaper ATV 'bars; BarkBusters with Storm guards; CoyoteMoto crash knobs; Aldi GoCruise GPS; Michelin Pilot Road 3 tyres.
Previous loves:
Suzuki DL650 V-Strom K6; Honda XL600VH Transalp X 2; Suzuki GS500; Yam XTZ750 Super Tenere; Yam FJ1200U; MotoGuzzi V65 Lario; Kawa KLR600; Honda XL350 RF.

post-1-1150559830.gif

#12 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,163 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:16 pm

Motobloke I had the forks off Heavyboned as soon as the post came on line buddy.

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#13 TheFatBaxter

TheFatBaxter

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:48 pm

Hi Andy, do you have the shock absorber?

98 Mk2 Red (ex TDMIck's). 96 Mk2 silver/yellow, recovered and ready to re-build. 99 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 (Indian).

#14 Kirsten

Kirsten

arrived on last train

• 3 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:46 am

Hi There

Are the carbs still available? Please let me know - I urgently want a new set.

Cheers

Kirsten

kirstens@polka.co.za

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:10 pm

Hi Kirsten, the carbs for a 1997 TDM are different to the carbs for a 2001 TDM.  To fit the 1997 carbs you will also need the 1997 airbox.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users