• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 krispa

krispa

sticking around

• 38 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:14 pm

Had a scary encounter one morning at 6.30am. Passed incoming bus between Harewood and Otley around the bend. The bus took a corner at speed, which I would consider spirited in normal car and my wife as mental. Speed alone was not an issue as it did stay in its line BUT! As we passed I have been sprayed with disel I presume overflowing from the tank (fuelled to the brim for whole day?). Bike did woble a bit but luckily I was not in mood and took this corner slowly. All happened in fraction of seconds: spray, woble, smell of diesel only once it was all over....
Now, I know the operator name, as colours were quite unique. I was wondering if I should bother writing letter or something? What are legal obligations of the company and a driver? Any thoughts?

#2 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:19 pm

Yes please,if only for those of us who have ended up in a heap

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#3 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:00 am

Yes please,if only for those of us who have ended up in a heap

What TDMick says !!!!!

#4 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:55 am

My broken collar bone says "write to them"!

Edited by Quartermaster, 30 October 2014 - 07:55 am.

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#5 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:55 am

Yes write to them with all details like road, time of day etc so they can get the right bus/driver :good:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#6 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:12 am

Under health and safety law (I know ), any complaint of that nature would be followed up, as if identified, the bus owners' would be liable for the damage caused by their operatives negligence.
IIRC there is case law on this, but it's almost impossible to prove responsibility for the spill.
There might be mileage in reporting it to the council and the highways agency, they can recover any costs incurred in cleaning the road up from the bus company and they are less likely to be bothered about proof of responsibility.

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:47 am

It's worth reporting it as it would lend credence to anyone having an accident at the same spot, at a later date.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:23 pm

Had a scary encounter one morning at 6.30am. Passed incoming bus between Harewood and Otley around the bend. The bus took a corner at speed, which I would consider spirited in normal car and my wife as mental. Speed alone was not an issue as it did stay in its line BUT! As we passed I have been sprayed with disel I presume overflowing from the tank (fuelled to the brim for whole day?). Bike did woble a bit but luckily I was not in mood and took this corner slowly. All happened in fraction of seconds: spray, woble, smell of diesel only once it was all over....
Now, I know the operator name, as colours were quite unique. I was wondering if I should bother writing letter or something? What are legal obligations of the company and a driver? Any thoughts?

Just another thought, busses have gps trackers, and a complaint, especially about speed will get the driver a telling off when the gps data is checked.

Edited by TDMick, 30 October 2014 - 12:24 pm.

#9 Wildbill

Wildbill

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:54 pm

Diesel spills should always be reported, even better if the perpetrator can be identified.

In 1976 my mate bought the first RD 400 in the N/East.

I bought his YR5 from him.

He was riding to work the second week he had it.

Coming around a bend on a bank with a railway bridge on it he hit a patch of diesel spilled from an overfilled council wagon

that had just turned right out of the depot  opposite.( the trail led straight to the fuel tanks where the wagon filler cap was still left on the wall after the driver forgot to replace it.)

The lad and the bike skidded and fell skidding sideways onto the road which he survived.

He and the bike hit the kerb, which he survived.

He was flung in the air and over the parapet of the bridge, which he survived.

His fall was 30 or so feet onto the tracks below, which he survived.

He got himself up from the tracks just as the express to Carlisle hit him (according to the train drivers' report at the inquest) 

The council were told to improve their refuelling procedure at the inquest

Strangely enough ;I had not thought of him for 35 years or so until Saturday just gone when I bid on and won an imported YR5

nearly exactly the same as his old one.And then this diesel spill thread comes up .

Don't come preaching to me;you'll get chased down the road wiff a pitchfork.

#10 krispa

krispa

sticking around

• 38 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:30 pm

That is enough motviation! Will keep you posted....

#11 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,391 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:20 pm

As an employee of one of the BIG operators our drivers have to check the filler as part of the first use check. This involves checking the seal is there too. If not it has to be sorted before leaving it's relevant depot. They should NOT overflow even if brimmed the night before.

I personally WOULD report it and have done on several occasions whether it be our vehicles or another operators!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users