• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 spodge

spodge

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:54 am

I thought I would check/replace my rear brake pads, so got myself a new pr of pads.
Come to take the caliper off and guess what the bloody slide pin has gone and sheared.... :))

I'm now at a loss as to what to do, I saw a NEW caliper from A J Sutton for £380, phew.
None that I could see on Ebay.

I wouldn't mind I only got it in Dec/Jan.

Desperate, any ideas????

Pete
255964.png

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:00 pm

Get a gneu sloide pin?

Got a piccy?

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 spodge

spodge

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:51 pm

Ah, but the broken bit of the pin (just after where the thread finishes)is seized in the caliper
and I think that is a blind hole.so I can't just knock it out, can't say I fancy drilling it out
even if that's possibleAttached File  IMG_0277.JPG   104.54KB   3 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0278.JPG   127.31KB   2 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0279.JPG   151.99KB   1 downloads
255964.png

#4 Lightning

Lightning

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:18 pm

The bolt is a couple of quid, If you dont fancy trying to get the old one out just take the caliper off and get local bike garage to do it, might want to spray some gt85 in it to loosen it up overnight tho...how annoying

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

#5 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,253 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:19 pm

Remove rear wheel take caliper of bike seperate from bracket and you should be able to get the offening bit out with a pair of mole grips. :good:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#6 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:29 pm

if you still can't get it out after all the advice above, send the caliper to me.

I'll pop a slot drill down the 10mm hole to mill the broken end flat, then drill it out on the milling machine.

Then make you a new pair stainless slide pins (on the lathe) 

The caliper couldn't have been doing much sliding seized like that.

Edited by leehenty, 24 April 2014 - 02:00 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#7 spodge

spodge

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:44 pm

Taken wheel & caliper off. 2nd slide bolt sheared :(
Have tried mole-grips, but stuck solid, just slides round.
So have ground flats on them and will leave soaking overnight.

Attached File  IMG_0287.JPG   115.54KB   3 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0290.JPG   89.18KB   2 downloads

As you can see pad(S) seriously worn !!

Edited by spodge, 24 April 2014 - 02:44 pm.

255964.png

#8 jlmtdm

jlmtdm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:52 pm

Get it to Lee he can fix it .

#9 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:34 pm

Taken wheel & caliper off. 2nd slide bolt sheared :(
Have tried mole-grips, but stuck solid, just slides round.
So have ground flats on them and will leave soaking overnight.

attachicon.gifIMG_0287.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0290.JPG

As you can see pad(S) seriously worn !!

That's going to be a milling job IMHO, did you notice the rear brake was down on braking power ? I'd also check that the disc is still true. The good thing is the hydraulic part of the caliper is off now so that makes it much easier.

Get it to Lee he can fix it .

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  :good:

Edited by leehenty, 24 April 2014 - 05:48 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#10 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,253 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:55 pm

gentle heat would help with removal.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#11 spodge

spodge

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:08 pm

Attached File  IMG_0298.JPG   532.95KB   0 downloads

That's going to be a milling job IMHO, did you notice the rear brake was down on braking power ? I'd also check that the disc is still true. The good thing is the hydraulic part of the caliper is off now so that makes it much easier.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  :good:

Well braking power was OK, I think. I would have felt the pedal "oscillating"
wouldn't I if the disk was out of true.

But the disk is heavily scored, I did have a bike a couple of years ago that passed an MOT with a similarly scored disk.
255964.png

#12 spodge

spodge

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:15 pm

The local bike shop got them out for me, a bit of a pig they said
255964.png

#13 spodge

spodge

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:28 pm

Wow, just got a quote from Fowlers for parts

Slide pins : 5JW-25914-10 2off £3.07 each, plus v.a.t, in stock

Shim caliper : 5GJ-25827-00 2off £4.62 each, plus v.a.t, no stock, 3-5 days to order

Boot(2): 4TT-25937 00 2off £9.84 each, plus v.a.t, in stock

The boots were destroyed trying to get the pins out, there were NO shims fitted when I dismantled it??

Edited by spodge, 25 April 2014 - 03:30 pm.

255964.png

#14 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:46 pm

ouch, over 10 quid for a rubber boot ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users