#1 cupasoop

cupasoop

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:27 pm

Looking to see if anybody here listens to music while riding. Tried one of them mp3 things while riding last week and fair enjoyed it except for the earphones, couldnt get them to stay in my ears properly when puting my helmet on.

So, what earphones do you use? I know an autocom or the like would be ideal but the pennies wont stretch that far sad.gif

#2 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:03 pm

QUOTE(cupasoop @ Sun 27th Aug 2006, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking to see if anybody here listens to music while riding. Tried one of them mp3 things while riding last week and fair enjoyed it except for the earphones, couldnt get them to stay in my ears properly when puting my helmet on.

So, what earphones do you use? I know an autocom or the like would be ideal but the pennies wont stretch that far sad.gif

http://www.equinoxmc...;products_id=36

also you could add one of these;
http://www.shop-com....ver?sourceid=57

TAM

Edited by TDMTAM, 27 August 2006 - 11:05 pm.

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#3 David H

David H

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:52 pm

I use THESE jobbies. Cheap, comfy and they don't fall off. good.gif

#4 cupasoop

cupasoop

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:48 am

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Sun 27th Aug 2006, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was my original idea Tam but google searches never really came up with anything. I've been keeping an eye on e-bay and second hand autocoms (which is what i'm after ulimately) are going for about twice the price of these speakers which makes them quite pricy for what you get.

What about trimming a set of these down and sticking them inside my helmet?

QUOTE(David H @ Mon 28th Aug 2006, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use THESE jobbies. Cheap, comfy and they don't fall off. good.gif

David, I discounted set like this coz they were on the outside of my ears (if that makes sense) so would get pulled off when puting on my helmet. Might have another look at them now if you say they work.

I was sort of heading down this route, fit quite far in so wouldnt get caught by the lid.

#5 AL-58

AL-58

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:21 am

QUOTE(cupasoop @ Mon 28th Aug 2006, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was sort of heading down this route, fit quite far in so wouldnt get caught by the lid.

I've used this type of thing, they work quite well.

Al

tdm850-spike.jpgtdm900-kosciuszko-05.jpg

#6 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:35 am

you don't need to buy an entire autocom or starcom kit. Just buy the speakerset and install them in your helmet. Buy the 2.5 or 3.5inch stereojack to 6-pin cable and plug in your mp3 player from Starcom.

If you want it even cheaper you can make the cable yourself (or have it made at your local electronics parts shop).

Works a treat and no painfull ears or problems while putting helmet on or taking it off...
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#7 cupasoop

cupasoop

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:01 am

QUOTE(duibhce Kaelann @ Mon 28th Aug 2006, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you don't need to buy an entire autocom or starcom kit. Just buy the speakerset and install them in your helmet. Buy the 2.5 or 3.5inch stereojack to 6-pin cable and plug in your mp3 player from Starcom.

If you want it even cheaper you can make the cable yourself (or have it made at your local electronics parts shop).

Works a treat and no painfull ears or problems while putting helmet on or taking it off...

Woh, big cable. Thought you lot on the continent were metric?

To be honest I recon I'm gonna go down the earphone route at the moment. The autocom / starcom is planned, just not at the moment sad.gif

#8 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:34 am

QUOTE(cupasoop @ Mon 28th Aug 2006, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Woh, big cable. Thought you lot on the continent were metric?

doh! I meant mill's of course wink.gif

No need to buy a star/auto-com, you can just plug the mp3-player straight into the set of speakers (available seperately) in the helmet.
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

#9 seamus

seamus

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 65 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:51 pm

try these, i used them during a trip round Ireland, they're pretty good

http://www.maplin.co...e...ES&doy=28m8
http://www.youtube.com/seamus0sean

http://www.myspace.com/seamus0sean

CB100N>XS250 US Custom>CB550-4>SR650>CB200>Z1000J>15 year break>TDM900

#10 Cavey

Cavey

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:27 pm

QUOTE(seamus @ Mon 28th Aug 2006, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They look pretty good! good.gif I'm after some new earplugs at the mo. Do these cut down the wind noise much?

I may try these.......although to be honest, I'm not too sure about listening music whilst on a bike.....it's a tad distracting, no?
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

#11 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:42 pm

QUOTE(Cavey @ Mon 28th Aug 2006, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I may try these.......although to be honest, I'm not too sure about listening music whilst on a bike.....it's a tad distracting, no?

depends. for some people it is, for othetrs it actually helps...
It's the same as with studying with music, some people can, some can't.

Personally I always studied with music, it kept my mind from wandering of to other things. If I lost concentration on my books i would automatically focus on the music in stead of starting to daydream blink.gif

It's the same on the bike for me, if I'm listening to music I'm less easily distracted...
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

#12 Cavey

Cavey

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:53 pm

QUOTE(duibhce Kaelann @ Mon 28th Aug 2006, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I lost concentration on my books i would automatically focus on the music in stead of starting to daydream blink.gif

Interesting. Never though of it that way. I suppose it'd have to music that you are familiar with, otherwise you'd be listening to the music too much? I often listen to Radio 4 (speech) when in the car so it's no different to being on the bike really - they both need your full attention.
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

#13 cupasoop

cupasoop

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:36 pm

QUOTE(seamus @ Mon 28th Aug 2006, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That looks like exactly the sort of thing i was thinking of.

How do you get on with puting on and taking off your helmet with them? Do they stay in place?

Mind you, for a fiver there worth a shot good.gif

Edited by cupasoop, 28 August 2006 - 04:37 pm.

#14 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:34 pm

QUOTE(cupasoop @ Mon 28th Aug 2006, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you get on with puting on and taking off your helmet with them? Do they stay in place?

just what i was looking for....a trip to maplins tomorrow lunch time me tinks

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#15 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:08 pm

Now what I'd like is a honking big pair of waterproof speakers blasting 'Ride of the Valkyries' at about 2,000 watts!

Da da da dahh dah, Da da da dahh dahh! rotflmmfao.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#16 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:41 am

QUOTE(Cavey @ Mon 28th Aug 2006, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They look pretty good! good.gif I'm after some new earplugs at the mo. Do these cut down the wind noise much?

Assuming they're similar to my Sure E2Cs then yes, they'll work very well as earplugs, not tried mine on the bike but use them at work quite a bit and they're great at cutting out everything.

I use a Vixen Intercom which has an audio input jack on it and doesn't need the radio attatched to play music. One thing you might want to consider though is some form of controls for it. I use my iPod set on a fairly loud volume and have built myself a volume control that clips on to my chest so I can switch the volume down when I need to.
I agree with comments about about it helping concentration. I particularly find long motorway trips very boring and a bit of music helps stop my attention wandering, I can then turn the volume right down when there's more going on and it could potentially be distracting, eg when filtering.

One other tip though, depends on your musical taste but never try listening to the Prodigy's Fat of the Land album when riding, some music just makes you want to ride way too fast :-D

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#17 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:45 am

QUOTE(cupasoop @ Mon 28th Aug 2006, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bought a pair today and they're pretty good for a fiver. A bit bright for bass freaks, maybe, but they suit my needs. Feel as though they'd be quite stable, but they do stick out a little (depending on ear shape and size!) so comfort will depend on helmet profile. The cord is quite long (1.2m) and divides asymmetrically (longer on the right). For an extra fiver there's a 1m extension lead with a volume control (which actually seems to enhance the sound) that could clip outside the jacket for adjustment on the road. Bit tricky getting the helmet on. Will give them a longer try and see how the comfort goes.

(Later note) More comfy for my ears when I cut the end "mushroom" off, leaving 2 - better fit in the helmet, too.

Edited by Pict, 29 August 2006 - 09:54 pm.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#18 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:00 pm

QUOTE(Cavey @ Mon 28th Aug 2006, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I often listen to Radio 4 (speech) when in the car so it's no different to being on the bike really - they both need your full attention.

Speech doesn't work for me as that tends to draw my attention away rolleyes.gif
Mostly I use jazz, lounge, drum 'n bass, ... i.e. stuff that I can just have in the background.

Although stuff like Rammstein and Therapy? is also excellent while blasting through some twisties yahoo.gif
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

#19 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:19 pm

QUOTE(duibhce Kaelann @ Tue 29th Aug 2006, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Speech doesn't work for me as that tends to draw my attention away rolleyes.gif
Mostly I use jazz, lounge, drum 'n bass, ... i.e. stuff that I can just have in the background.

Although stuff like Rammstein and Therapy? is also excellent while blasting through some twisties yahoo.gif

With flamethrowers attached to the Renthals for atmosphere? yahoo.gif

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#20 cupasoop

cupasoop

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:24 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Tue 29th Aug 2006, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bought a pair today and they're pretty good for a fiver. A bit bright for bass freaks, maybe, but they suit my needs. Feel as though they'd be quite stable, but they do stick out a little (depending on ear shape and size!) so comfort will depend on helmet profile. For an extra fiver there's an extension lead with volume control that could come outside and clip to the jacket for adjustment on the road. Will give them a longer try and see if the comfort lasts.

Snap good.gif

Wearing mine at the moment at work. Know what you mean about them sticking out but hopefully the bit in my ear will hold them when the helmet goes on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users