17 replies to this topic

#1 SteveK

SteveK

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:20 pm

Looking to do an oil and filter change, anyone got a reccommendation for a particular brand of oil. Prices for 4l seem to vary enormously. Silkolene looks good value at the moment.
Full Givi luggage, MRA flip screen with German import top blade, Garmin sat nav, LED running lights, heated grips, Fender extender.
Follow my 2013 Pyrenees tour on http://pyreneestdm.tumblr.com

#2 Trebor

Trebor

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:26 pm

I have been using halford semi synthetic for many years in a lot of different bikes and found it great. You also get 5l for around £20 and the spare 1l is goood for top up in between oil changes. Halfords have also got an offer on at the moment. When you buy this oil you get a free set of screwdrivers.

#3 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:56 pm

QUOTE(Trebor @ Fri 2nd Apr 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been using halford semi synthetic for many years in a lot of different bikes and found it great. You also get 5l for around £20 and the spare 1l is goood for top up in between oil changes.

Agree. Their mineral is good as well, although they rarely seem to stock that these days. HG often do good deals as well (including Silkolene or Motul).
Some experiment with cheaper car-oil which could work well but there is always some risk in clutch operation. Unless your bike uses more oil than fuel it doesn't seem worth the risk when compared to basic motorcycle oil.

There seems little point in investing in very expensive bike-oil unless it gets red-lined all of the time. Better change it a little more often for those that get nervous when not spending loads of money on their bike laugh.gif
That was not a banana, Dougal

#4 Guest_leehenty_*

Guest_leehenty_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:55 pm

I've been using Motul 7100 in my 900 and never had a problem so far. Used it in my Fazer before that. The oil comes out at service time just a slightly darker red than when it went in. I suspect the niner is not that hard on it's oil, certainly not as hard as an air cooled engine. I have had good results with silkolene comp 4 as well in older air cooled bikes. Since the oil is not that dead at service if you go over a few hundred miles it won't matter.

The niner does not use oil in between services as far as I can tell. The fazer did use about 500ml over about 4K

So long as the oil conforms to JASO MA as regards wet clutches there shouldn't be a problem. Don't forget that car oils are not designed to go through the gears that a bike has. It's the gears that shear the oil, so bike oils have an additive pack with pressure additives such as zinc to help with this.

Yer pays yer money and take yer choice I suppose, but a good oil is cheaper than wrecking parts of the engine.

I get my motul 7100 for £34:92 from huntersmotorcycles on ebay.

#5 DazzerB

DazzerB

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:40 pm

QUOTE(SteveK @ Fri 2nd Apr 2010, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking to do an oil and filter change, anyone got a reccommendation for a particular brand of oil. Prices for 4l seem to vary enormously. Silkolene looks good value at the moment.

Been using Silkolene "SUPER 4" 10W-40 oil for the last few years with no problems, Opie oils are doing it for £21 at the moment.

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:48 pm

JASO MA JASO MA JASOOOOOOOOOOOO MAAAAAAAAAAAA.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 roys

roys

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 173 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:45 am

hi,

i bought my 2006 900 2 mo ago and replaced oil and filter 10d ago.

i used "liquymoly Touring High Tech 20 W-50-1255"

Had very good experience with it in my BMW K100 (dry clutch). improved both heat issues and quieter running.

my impression on TDm is also of quieter running.

as we are a hot country the 20x50 makes sense - i do not know if in England or europe considerations are the same.

the word "mineral" in german is somewhere on package...?

I was told repeatedly by people who i trust that replacing oils frequently is best policy and thaht most oils are "good enough"

Roy

Edited by roys, 03 April 2010 - 03:45 am.

Thank you,
Roy
1987 K100 (2v)
2006 TDM 900

post-19792-0-23739400-1358674634_thumb.j

#8 Commando

Commando

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 109 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:11 am

I find any semi-synth, 10-40 Motorcycle oil to be OK. the main thing is to change it regularly. If I used a mineral oil I would change more regular than a semi-synth

Sylkolene Super 4 is good value. Opie Oils will do a 10-20% discount if you register your Carpe user ID, but it will cost a fiver postage.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/

hope this helps
Mark
03 TDM 900
71 Norton 750 Fastback

#9 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:48 am

Halfords Halfords Halfords......

Used them for 20 yrs and all is good...

10/40w semi synth good.gif

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#10 jdelfino

jdelfino

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Location:Benalmadena Spain no more, The Hague no more, now Hampshire
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:23 am

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sat 3rd Apr 2010, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
JASO MA JASO MA JASOOOOOOOOOOOO MAAAAAAAAAAAA.

wifgeni.gif

Sent from my secret Dick Tracy watch

#11 Commando

Commando

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 109 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:06 am

Busters are doing Super 4 + filter for £27.99 inc UK postage.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I think there may be a discount code for Carpe members. I am sure some one could let us have it

03 TDM 900
71 Norton 750 Fastback

#12 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:21 am

QUOTE(roys @ Sat 3rd Apr 2010, 03:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
as we are a hot country the 20x50 makes sense - i do not know if in England or europe considerations are the same.

England is hot as well, but unfortunately not weather-wise. laugh.gif

I always used 20W50 in my K100 too because it was the recommended viscosity. The K100 engine is essentially a small car engine (very similar to the Peugeot 104 engine layout that they used in the K's prototypes) with modest power and low rev-levels; in our kind of climate it will probably survive on ear-wax laugh.gif

Using 20W50 over 10W40 seems a good plan when riding in really warm climates: you get more protection to cope with high temperatures while "cold" starts should still be fine.
That was not a banana, Dougal

#13 TimH

TimH

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 182 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:32 am

QUOTE(roys @ Sat 3rd Apr 2010, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i used "liquymoly Touring High Tech 20 W-50-1255"

Had very good experience with it in my BMW K100 (dry clutch). improved both heat issues and quieter running.

Does the moly refer to a molybdenum friction modifier? Everything I've read says to avoid them on bikes with wet clutches....

I'm using Yamaha fully synthetic, but my brother is a Yamaha dealer so I get it at cost. The "4-FS" oil designation makes me think Yamaha are prompting the customer what to say when they get the invoice...

Edited by cypher, 05 April 2010 - 06:39 am.

#14 Cavey

Cavey

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:31 am

QUOTE(Jolly Giant @ Sat 3rd Apr 2010, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Halfords Halfords Halfords......

Used them for 20 yrs and all is good...

10/40w semi synth good.gif

+1
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

#15 SteveK

SteveK

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:39 am

Many thanks for all the replies and advice, went out to Halfrauds yesterday and got the 10w40 semi. With all the dozy tourist activity around here today I'm gonna do the job instead of riding. While I'm at it I'll fit the fag lighter socket too. Got some nice banana cake for when its all done!
Full Givi luggage, MRA flip screen with German import top blade, Garmin sat nav, LED running lights, heated grips, Fender extender.
Follow my 2013 Pyrenees tour on http://pyreneestdm.tumblr.com

#16 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:52 am

Sounds loike a great day planned Steve. Don't forget about the 2 drain plugs. smile.gif

QUOTE(cypher @ Mon 5th Apr 2010, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The "4-FS" oil designation makes me think Yamaha are prompting the customer what to say when they get the invoice...

laugh.gif

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#17 roys

roys

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 173 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:46 pm

QUOTE(robelst @ Sat 3rd Apr 2010, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
England is hot as well, but unfortunately not weather-wise. laugh.gif

I always used 20W50 in my K100 too because it was the recommended viscosity. The K100 engine is essentially a small car engine (very similar to the Peugeot 104 engine layout that they used in the K's prototypes) with modest power and low rev-levels; in our kind of climate it will probably survive on ear-wax laugh.gif

Using 20W50 over 10W40 seems a good plan when riding in really warm climates: you get more protection to cope with high temperatures while "cold" starts should still be fine.

hi,
wub.gif england
Great bike the k100 - how many TDM owners have a K in garage now or had one in past i wonder?
I have to admit that after 2 mo and ~2000 km I am falling for the TDM - it is everything i expected and more with a few annoyances i admit, cheifly i wish the front were a 17" wheel.

Roy

Thank you,
Roy
1987 K100 (2v)
2006 TDM 900

post-19792-0-23739400-1358674634_thumb.j

#18 Chris TDM

Chris TDM

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:59 pm

10/40w semi 25L for £75 so thats £3 per L or about 5 oil changes, at the current rate of inflation on oil's best to buy in bulk now and save later lol

chris

Edited by Chris TDM, 05 April 2010 - 04:59 pm.

Ridgeway mcc

GSF400
ER500
TDM850
CBR1100xx

But only one working at a time!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users