10 replies to this topic

#1 tr7dan

tr7dan

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 116 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:53 pm

My '07 TDM900 ignition switch has gone very notchy recently. Turning it to ignition on/off and also to steering lock on/off is a right faff, requiring much jiggling with the key.

I've tried the spare key which has had virtually no use but that's the same and also the tank and seat locks seem to work ok, so it must be in the ignition lock barrel. 

I've tried a bit of WD and 3in1 down the keyhole but no improvement - anyone know what are my options ? Can I dismantle the ignition barrel to clean and lube or is replacement the only way ? (looks expensive)

Dan

#2 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:06 pm

Have you got a big bunch of keys?

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#3 tr7dan

tr7dan

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:18 pm

Not really - just ignition key plus two Givi case/ top box keys

SoxABnp.jpg

#4 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:20 pm

As Chris says, number one culprit is having a bunch of keys on the keyring. These vibrate and unevenly wear the barrel over time.

Can try blowing compressed air through it to see if there's any crud accumulated though maybe.

#5 bondy

bondy

850 going for 900

• 852 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:30 pm

You could try rubbing the key with pencil lead. But it does sound like the barrel has worn.

#6 thelodger

thelodger

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:42 pm

Try pulling the top of the key (the plastic bit ) towards you ( gently ! ) as you turn it.

#7 tr7dan

tr7dan

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:46 am

Ok, so, if I want to replace the barrel it looks like the only official option is to buy a complete kit from a Yamaha dealer, which is gonna set me back about £950 - not cheap.

The guy at Wemoto was really helpful and said it's not an uncommon Yamaha issue, in fact his own MT03 has a similar problem, but he checked round and could only find the full kit available, no individual parts, from his contacts.

I've also phoned a local auto lock guy who said that if I can get the locking barrel off separately then he will probably be able to recondition it with new wafers - not definitely, but probably......but he wont know until he has the barrel in his hand.  Has anybody successfully managed to dismantle an ignition switch to remove the barrel without destroying it ?

I haven't dismantled anything yet but looking online it looks like the shear-off security screws will have to be drilled out and it looks like two of them, at least, are recessed in a well but with a bit of care and time should be do-able

Dan

#8 tr7dan

tr7dan

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:23 pm

quick update....

Just been in touch with a company called Motomatrix who say it's a common problem and they can rebuild the ignition barrel with new wafers - just have to remove the  switch from the top yoke and send it down to them. Turnaround time is 5-6 days and cost.... I think he said £40 plus vat plus post.

Whilst I've got the top yoke off I might as well tackle a job I've been meaning to do but never got around to it - greasing the steering head bearings. Hopefully all will be good then for my upcoming Ireland tour in June

fingers crossed

Dan

#9 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:33 pm

I removed the ignition key barrel and the wafers were completely shot, could'nt find a repalcement so opted for a new ignition switch from wemoto but, this is for a mk1 so your quote of £40 might just be a saver.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#10 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:09 am

With the barrel removed, if you put the key in you can see where the wafers are still slightly raised which causes the issue.

Simply dremel off the raised section and the key will work fine again.

For wafers that have only worn slightly it will be fine and stop you needing to jiggle the key.  If badly worn you can still do it, but the security becomes compromised as too much and a screwdriver will open it.  In your case it sounds like a quick dremel will be fine.

Edited by Nog, 27 April 2018 - 07:10 am.

#11 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:24 am

£40 sounds good to me

When I got my 900 just over 2 years ago it had this problem. I've treated it with locksmith's graphite powder a couple times a year and it's got no worse and I've got used to it, so I'll probably not do anything with it :)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users