#1 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:11 pm

Late afternoon I was on the phone today to buy a Suzuki DL650 from a member of another forum, who'd PM'd me his number. I told him there was little point in me taking a train to Bolton just to view, so if I came I'd be bringing my riding gear and cash. We discussed the bike and I asked a few questions with that in mind. I told him that on the strength of the conversation and photos, I'd be coming down to buy the bike and would book my train ticket. He told me the registration, which I'd asked for so I could get the insurance quote on Monday ready to go live on Tuesday. We arranged the time and he said he'd come to the station to pick me up. I got off the phone and immediately booked my ticket from Penrith to Bolton so as to ensure a cheap ticket--and even sent a quick PM to another forum member who was selling some engine bars with a view of nipping over to Sheffield after to pick them up. I also cancelled a test ride that I had booked to ride a Royal Enfield Himalayan on Wednesday afternoon. In my mind we'd made an gentleman's agreement and the deal was done. But no. 

At 20:15 the phone rings and it's the seller phoning me to tell me that someone had turned up at his door with a deposit for the bike and he couldn't refuse it (he could, but didn't). I told him that was just plain wrong, that we had an agreement and I'd booked my train ticket and was all set. Words were exchanged and I ended the conversation. 5 minutes later he rings again, now offering to reimburse my train fare. I told him it wasn't about the money, it was about the principle, about honour and trust, so I refused his offer. If he was a young bloke I'd have given him more latitude, but this bloke is in his late 60s early 70s. 

Ironically, I was just thinking after the earlier conversation how much better it was to buy a bike from a forum member than ebay. The fact is that's the second time I've been let down badly buying from a forum member and I'm frankly feeling really disillusioned. At least on ebay a seller's reputation can be quantified. Increasingly, and sadly, a man's word means very little. What a cynical fecking world we live in. 

Sorry for the rant, I just had to get that off my chest. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#2 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:52 am

Sorry to hear that, but your right he should have told the other guy to wait a day, I hope you find a nicer bike tomorrow  :good:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:07 am

I would take comfort in thinking that if he could pull such a stunt, then he probably wasn't being totally honest about the bike anyhoos.  Mighta been a blessing in disguise Muddy.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:25 am

One small blessing is that it had red side and tank panels. I was even thinking about buying a bagster tank burka to hide it.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#5 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:59 pm

Learned a lesson years ago, coincidentally around bolton!! Ex father In law goes to meet a guy to buy.....wait for it....a renault 16. Does the deal over the phone...turns up and it's a DACIA!! Guy was an Indian, full beard and turban and couldn't see the problem. Sorry for your loss, just have to believe in karma!!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#6 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 02:16 pm

I always think these endings are probably for the best. Disappointing though they are, a much better bike awaits your attention. Bad do though. There's all sorts in biking just like everywhere else.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 February 2019 - 02:27 pm

That's a bit shoite muddy, i think it means your meant to buy the CB500X fella :D  i've been having a surf....

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:27 pm

Well lads, something did come up just that very evening. I'll let you know with a reveal and first impressions on Wednesday, God willing and all being well. 

Edited by muddy, 18 February 2019 - 03:28 pm.

#9 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:05 pm

Well that goes to prove it if the ad says Bolton buyer beware. 

#10 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:21 pm

I hope it works out for you.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#11 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:30 pm

I recall that when we first found a house, my wife and I discovered that a friend was after it too. In the end we tossed a coin for it... and lost! But later we found a better house and situation for ourselves. I have often tended to take a much more fatalistic attitude since then to these things.

#12 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:38 pm

What goes around, comes around , maybe not today , maybe not tomorrow , but maybe next week

#13 thelodger

thelodger

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:46 am

I don't think decent honest folk would behave like he did so I'm pretty sure you dodged a bullet. Get your own back by finding a better deal for yourself and I hope you have.

keep the faith. There are more good people than bad in the world

Cheers

#14 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:11 am

As you blokes said, there was something better waiting for me. That same evening I went on eBay and saw this:

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/143112140885

Found there was a train from Bolton to Glossop for £6.40, so I could use the ticket I'd bought, and phoned the owner the next morning. Turns out he's a bike nut and Royal Enfield enthusiast with a couple of REs in his garage who wanted to buy an Interceptor.

Travelled down yesterday and he picked me up from the station. The bike was in showroom condition and much better built than I expected. We chatted for hours over mugs of tea. Turns out he has contacts in India and gets parts for a fraction of what they cost here. He threw in a brand new Oxford disc lock and gave me a yellow vest for my journey home in the dark.

In conclusion, I couldn't have dealt with a more sound bloke and I'm well pleased. Happy ending. Photos and first impressions to follow.

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:30 am

Complete with compass. :D  Well, it's certainly different Muddy.  Look forward to hearing more about it, as no doubt will Cliff.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#16 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:41 am

Nothing like a happy ending....and a new beginning. Enjoy your new bike.

#17 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:29 pm

Read how good they are Here https://www.youtube....sOcJBwTg/videos

Dutch woman using one to go around the world she has not covered yet very entertaining 

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#18 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:04 pm

Well do e mudster, there are welchers for sure but things have a habit of evenin em'sens out. :0).

Enjoy the new boike.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#19 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 February 2019 - 04:23 pm

As you blokes said, there was something better waiting for me. That same evening I went on eBay and saw this:

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/143112140885

Found there was a train from Bolton to Glossop for £6.40, so I could use the ticket I'd bought, and phoned the owner the next morning. Turns out he's a bike nut and Royal Enfield enthusiast with a couple of REs in his garage who wanted to buy an Interceptor.

Travelled down yesterday and he picked me up from the station. The bike was in showroom condition and much better built than I expected. We chatted for hours over mugs of tea. Turns out he has contacts in India and gets parts for a fraction of what they cost here. He threw in a brand new Oxford disc lock and gave me a yellow vest for my journey home in the dark.

In conclusion, I couldn't have dealt with a more sound bloke and I'm well pleased. Happy ending. Photos and first impressions to follow.

Please it turned out well Len. Happy Days

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#20 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 February 2019 - 06:11 pm

Woopwoop a gentler version of the old xt600 mayhaps..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users