94 replies to this topic

#21 kmax

kmax

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 161 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:47 pm

another vote for HTC Desire ( and i am using Desire HD ) with pre-loaded GPS.

HTC Desire HD.. good points

- bigger screen than iphone (4.3" compared to 3.5")

- able to play flash and java.

- preloaded GPS (no need to pay roaming data charges, no need to wait for google map download)

- can synch contacts to facebook, twitter.. all contacts are organized.

- when you first get the phone, can sych with all other phones for contacts, msg, calender... so no need to re-key in contacts.
(my wife using iphone4 and need to change mini sim card, so all contacts are lost)

- many free apps and games (free angry bird, free whatsapp)

- can plug into any pc to put in songs, movies, photos, (no need itune to synch)

- can change themes and app layout, better than folder in iphone.

- can take out battery and mem card (mini SD) so you can change batt and storage easily.. (iphone is fixed)

bad point

- loud speaker is not so loud (sound level lower than iphone)

- not so long batt life.. (may be i am using apps most of the time)

#22 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:01 pm

I bought the Motorola Defy SIM Free for £250 now I use a Virgin sim for £10 per month, unlimited Virgin calls, texts and data and 200mins all networks, 30 day rolling contract.

Missus got HTC Desire, £20 per month, free phone, same usage as me. 24 month contract.

For me it's gotta be Android all the way. Any manufacturer can make an Android phone, and software. iPhone is only made by Apple, their market place is quite restricted and part of the reason they made £3.7 billion profit last year!

And for the love of god don't go near a Windows 7 mobile, some horror stories about massive data usage by apps results in mega bills.

Have a quick look at the Defy, a waterproof phone for use on a bike seems like a winner to me!

#23 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:56 pm

Pretty happy with the HTC Legend in aluminium case - sending it back because the camera auto focus has a fault

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#24 Hogar

Hogar

seems to like Carpe

• 43 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:14 pm

I've been using Nokias for as long as I am using mobile phones.... Bought HTC Desire last summer.... never been more satisfied with the phone. It does for me all I need and more... Great free apps easy to install cover everything I do and I plan to do... so, definitely, a vote for HTC Desire.

On the other hand, to be honest, never used iPhone so I can't compare.

#25 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:16 pm

iPhone 4, hold it in your hand and you get no signal, wtf!!?!?
When your battery needs replaced, you need a new phone as you can't get it out!
No MicroSD cards, only the built in memory....

iPhones, why would you want one?

#26 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:45 pm

You can replace the battery

I had my mates apart last week as he dropped it in custard, oops !

Battery is removable and replaceable but if apple find out you've done it you can say goodbye to what pathetic warranty you have.

I'm only guessing here, but as with most apple stuff its more than likely a case of, take it to a 'Genius' bar (I use the term genius very lightly there), and they'll send it off and charge you an obscene amount to have it done.

Or go to someone you know on a forum who grew up with a desire to take small electronic things apart and put them back together biggrin.gif and get a battery for £20 off ebay

Lew wink.gif

#27 Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:48 pm

I bought my Daughter the HTC and she loves it. Looks a good solid phone with loads of aps.

Mk1' R1 gold spot front calipers • HH sintered front pads • FJR1300 front master cylinder • K&N air filter • Factory Pro emulsion tubes • Oxford heated grips • Mirror extenders • KTM handguards • Baglux tank cover and bag. 12v auxiliary socket • Delkevic 2 into 1 exhaust system • Engine guards • Chrome radiator guard • Renthal bars • Touring screen. Optimate and Oil pressure switch/light mod (Leehenty special!) to be fitted. Tom Tom rider V2 europe. GoPro HD Hero. Fenda extender.
Triumph Tiger 955i with stuff added.

#28 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:58 pm

wifgeni.gif
Their software might be polished but the hardware and support is isn't very good and all apps are screened before they allow them in the store so if for example the auto synching is on and using up your data package and Apple don't want that turned off ,you will never be able to get an app to turn it off.
I think Android is the OS of the near future (next 5 years at least), Eclaire(2.1) was new last year and FroYo(2.2) rolled out in November, we should have Gingerbread(2.3) in July ish and hopefully Honeycomb(2.4(poss 3.0)) before the end of the year.
As for Windows, I loved my Omnia on 6.5 and would have gone for a Winmo7 but they kept delaying it and in the end went with the GalaxyS (Droid) and I've got to say I am a convert.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#29 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:02 pm

QUOTE(TDMick @ Sun 30th Jan 2011, 02:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like my wildfire, when I work out how to use the satnav function, and get it to work on the internet without a WiFi hub.
The camera is not all that good though

good.gif +1

#30 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:27 pm

I'd wait for the Nokia N9. It comes with a brand new operating system that gives you full control (even Android requires rooting for some stuff).
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#31 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:12 pm

managed to update my desires OS earlier this evening, since then phone is totally buggered
and it appears i'm not alone
Linky 1
Linky 2
Linky 3

so plan is
call to OFT to check up on position
then
call to vodafone fer replacement/new handset
pop past local church, find god, & ask him to let me get all me contacts off bollox'd brick I now have

mad.gif

Edited by jht, 30 January 2011 - 09:13 pm.

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#32 Gobsheen

Gobsheen

really likes Carpe

• 88 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:04 pm

I use an iPhone 3GS and think it's great although I seem to be on my own here! I'm just out of my contract but I'm going to wait till the summer and see what the next iPhone looks like although I'm not sure I'll get into another long contract. The iPhone is really good but it's expensive, mainly because of the demand for them. There's no doubting that Apple have done a really good job making the iPhone and iTunes a really slick set-up.

The battery is replaceable and I found their warranty to be very good. I got some dust under the screen (not much) and showed it to them in the Apple shop. He took it round the back and changed the screen straight away, no hassle and no sending away. A friend had a problem with dropped calls and they changed the phone on the spot. The iPhone 4 reception stuff isn't a big deal at all, for all the talk about it. I have a few friends with them and none of them have a problem. Anyway, Apple will give you a a very slim case that wraps round the edge protecting the phone well and stops you touching the bit that apparently causes a problem.

Having said that, I really like the newer Android phones too. The Motorola Defy looks a good deal, being pretty robust and water resistant. Would it work as a sat-nav attached to the handlebars in the rain? Good deals on them sim-free. I'm debating about getting one at some point and not paying the premium for the latest iPhone......I do like my iPhone though!

If you're thinking about avoiding a contract, I've just switched to new guys Giffgaff and they've got some really good deals. It's PAYG (which I've always avoided because I'm not going into a shop every time I need credit but they have an auto top-up which works well) but the packages are as good as most contracts. Calls/texts within Giffgaff are free too so nothing to call my wife as she's on them now too........just have to think of something to talk about! This link will get you £5 bonus if you join.... Giffgaff - Free £5 . I get £5 credit too.....just being open. I didn't reply to push them BTW!.....just letting you know.

Edited by Gobsheen, 31 January 2011 - 08:05 pm.

#33 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:50 pm

Yes, the Motorola Defy will work as Sat Nav mounted on your bars but the Google Navigation needs data (not good if abroad) so I'm gonna buy Co-Pilot for it, £50 for full European navigation.
Pairs with bluetooth intercom fine and can make voice calls.

I'm blown away with how good it is, the missus has the Desire which is more expensive, nicer screen (OLED) but I still prefer the Defy.

The iPhone is an awesome piece of consumer electronics and dead easy to use with iTunes etc. but it's not for me as it's too expensive.

#34 Gobsheen

Gobsheen

really likes Carpe

• 88 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:41 pm

Have a look at Navfree. I'm using it on the iPhone and I'm pretty sure it's on Android too. A recent update has made it really good. I think it's just UK & USA at the mo though.

Forever Map is worth buying. 59p I think. It lets you download open-source maps to your phone so no data needed when away.

#35 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:24 am

Does anybody know of Ordnance survey maps that can loaded onto a HTC phone??

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#36 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:34 am

Viewranger

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#37 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:47 am

Cheers Gobsheen, yes I've seen a few options using open maps, got to be worth checking out.

#38 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:26 pm

I'm not going to try & sell you on the iPhone Tam, as I'm aware most of you think they are the Devil's Smartphone hide.gif . Quite why everyone thinks one global corporation (Apple) is evil, yet another is fine (Google & HTC) I've never worked out dunno.gif .
However, iPhones are dead easy to use, which is why I plumped for one, and if you already have an iPod, then they replace that, so you're only carrying one thing around. Battery life is OK, better than a HTC as far as I can tell. Battery replacement is £55 from Apple, but my phone is 18 months old and the battery is fine. No memory expanasion, but I'm nowhere near using up the 16GB that came with it. I have 1000s of album tracks on it, some movies and a load of apps. I've got the 3GS, but the 4's signal problems are easily fixed with a case, which most people use anyway. One final point, Apple/iTunes allegedly vet every app before it goes on sale. Google, I understand, allow anyone to sell their app without any checking. While I can see the big brother points about Apple's policy, I'm happier knowing (thinking) it's more secure.

I await the flaming ...... groucho.gif

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#39 BigMick

BigMick

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:02 pm

iphone 3gs for me, mine's 2 years old and still going strong. good.gif

#40 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:17 pm

QUOTE(Matlock @ Tue 1st Feb 2011, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not going to try & sell you on the iPhone Tam, as I'm aware most of you think they are the Devil's Smartphone hide.gif . Quite why everyone thinks one global corporation (Apple) is evil, yet another is fine (Google & HTC) I've never worked out dunno.gif .
However, iPhones are dead easy to use, which is why I plumped for one, and if you already have an iPod, then they replace that, so you're only carrying one thing around. Battery life is OK, better than a HTC as far as I can tell. Battery replacement is £55 from Apple, but my phone is 18 months old and the battery is fine. No memory expanasion, but I'm nowhere near using up the 16GB that came with it. I have 1000s of album tracks on it, some movies and a load of apps. I've got the 3GS, but the 4's signal problems are easily fixed with a case, which most people use anyway. One final point, Apple/iTunes allegedly vet every app before it goes on sale. Google, I understand, allow anyone to sell their app without any checking. While I can see the big brother points about Apple's policy, I'm happier knowing (thinking) it's more secure.

I await the flaming ...... groucho.gif

Well, seemed you asked for it tongue.gif

I've had problems with apple Ipods, mine broke 2 weeks after the warranty expired, I was gutted as I was 16 and had saved for well over a year to get one. I sent a letter to apple and they were no help at all, just suggested stupid remedy's I had already tried multiple times. Found out eventually the hard drive had broke, which considering i hardly ever used it and there wasnt a scratch on it you could understand why i was pissed.

There good for making money however, in the past I've bought broken iBooks and PowerMacs and fixed them and sold them on (i made a 250% profit on the Powermac)

I've dealt with iPhones and there made to me hard to take apart so it puts you off getting out your screw drivers. apparently a friend read, when you send you phone off for repair now it comes back with security screws in so you cant take it apart.

What i've found in the past is Apple only make limited spare parts for the products which means if you want a replacement motherboard for a 3 year old, laptop it'll cost you nearly £300. any other laptop motherboard would cost you anything between £10 and £150 for something on ebay.
They don't support anything over 2 years old. If you have an old apple product they only way of getting help from apple is to buy there apple extended warranty which is quite expensive. Other than that its community support only.

The 'Genius's' in the apple stores don't know anything other than sales. I went in asking about a wireless card for a Power mac G5, but as it was older than 2 years they didn't have a clue. It would have cost me over £200 for one off ebay. But the spotty student suggested I go to argos and get a usb wireless dongle which I know for a fact will only work with MacOS if its got specific drivers, most don't and the ones that do cost alot more.

One reason I've never got an iPhone is the storage space, people say 16gb is enough but I have a 60Gb music collection and am yet to find a phone which can accommodate it all. OK nothing else has but the iPhone is marketed as 'the best phone in the world' when on paper its clearly not.

And that brings me on to marketing, apple LIE ! fact, they have been done for it before and will no doubt be done for it again. They claim everything they sell is the best of its kind and gullible people believe them. there becoming so popular all the chavs have them, there like bloody burbary.

Cover Ups, and more lies --- the iPhone 4 signal problem IS a pretty big deal, people try to dismiss it but the fact is if you hold the phone normally, like any normal person the signal drops. At first Apple tried to say it was a 'software issue' and said it was in the previous models, and promptly they fixed it with a software update, this didnt affect anything at all. Secondly they then said 'well you shouldn't be left handed' and released the most patronising piece of marketing ever. 'How to hold your iPhone' When the media finally got ahold of the facts they went with it and this caused the iPhone case program. Instead of fixing the phones they just covered it up, literally.

Consumer rights - "a product should be fit for purpose" surely the fact that if you hold the phone 'wrong' it doesn't work is a massive breach of this?

My god I'm going on, I didn't realise I hated them that much, but do I?

Apple don't vett all there products to make sure nothing malicious is going onto the phone (see the numerous bank detail scam apps that have been reported [the ones that actually managed to being reported]), they do it to stop people with really good ideas making the iphone look better. They basically stop anything going though they could market when a new model is released.
- example - the iphone 3G was capable of recording video, yet apple saved that for the 3Gs to part people of there money. When the 3Gs came out, an app was released that allowed you to record video !

Yes I Have a personal hatred for apple,

All credit to them though, They know how to manipulate people into wanting what they sell, and wanting the newest products even when the last edition is only a year old or less. There bloody good at marketing products and I think one of the company's that will never go bust even if all the iPhones in the world exploded tomorrow.

There OS is extremely friendly (almost too easy) this along with their marketing and media relations (cover up) department have made them an unbelievably powerful company. and they will be for a long time to come

That post was too long, I am extremely sorry if you actually read it all, its quiet at work though.

Lew wink.gif

Edited by LewisBlackburn, 01 February 2011 - 03:37 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users