84 replies to this topic

#21 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:31 am

Web Bike World have loads of reviews, well worth a read!

Helmet Reviews

#22 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:35 am

QUOTE(jim850wav @ Fri 4th Mar 2011, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://i1202.photobu.../DSC00659-1.jpg

HJC best £100 I ever spent

For £100 I'd at least want a visor I could see through rolleyes.gif

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#23 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:12 pm

I;ve been looking for a flip since I got the TDM (~2yrs now), and I can't find one that actually fits comfortably.

A C3 that fits around my head means my chin is pushed against the front of the flip when closed, and one that fits my chin rattles on me noggin.

An thats pretty much the story across the board with all flip fronts. I'm no Jimmy Hill (TD will confirm that), but just can't get one that I'm confortable with, so have resided my self to the fact that I won't be getting one.

I've not tried the BMW System lids or the new Caberg's (Konda / Sintissi), so will give them a go before I give up.

Personally, if you're going to get a lid you've not had previous experience of TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

Most likely get it cheaper on the net, but a good bike shop will probably match, or at least get close to a web price if they want the business. If they don't you know you can get it cheaper once you're happy with fit.
MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#24 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:35 pm

QUOTE(TeDeum @ Fri 4th Mar 2011, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Had a Trip and was happy with it except it was noisy but the earplugs quietened it. I bought it because it was the only flip with a 5 star Sharp rating at the time. Replaced it after my off last June. There was some scraping where my head hit the road but it didn't open which was good. When I went to buy another they were no longer available so I got the Konda which replaced it and is quite similar except it has the anti fog, anti scratch visor and a positive locking mechanism in the up position so you can use it up at low speeds if you wanted to. The anti fog coating started to peel off immediately and the front of the visor scratched despite me using the Vee cleaning system. I think I must have got a Monday morning visor and I have a new one on order. The Konda is comfortable and the rain doesn't come down the inside of the visor as it did on the Trip.

I bought a Konda too. I haven't had any problems with the anti-fog coating and it's the first helmet I've had which doesn't fog up when it's cold. In general, the build quality is excellent. It's draughty though.

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#25 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:23 pm

Anyone got the Shoei Multitec? Guy at a local bike shop told me there was going to be a new Shoei flip-up out later this year, so I'm hoping the Multitech gets discounted from its current £380 ish.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#26 dicky1

dicky1

just half a litre to go

• 837 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:44 pm

My previous helmet was a multitec and the pinloc worked very well & the helmet was quiet, light and not too bulky. I wore it out and would have bought another except they did not have an inner sun-visor. Not sure if the latest ones do? In my view the BMW sytem6 is very similar to the multitec I had but with the addition of a sun visor & better more flexible ventilation options. Managed to get a 12 1/2% discount from the dealer.
TDM 900ABS, Suzuki DR250 twin-cam off-roader
Hers Honda XL1000, TTR250 off-roader

#27 RSRocket

RSRocket

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 991 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:52 pm

QUOTE(Matlock @ Sat 5th Mar 2011, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone got the Shoei Multitec? Guy at a local bike shop told me there was going to be a new Shoei flip-up out later this year, so I'm hoping the Multitech gets discounted from its current £380 ish.

Aye Chris, had a Multitech for two year now, like it a lot,recommend them if you can get a discount.

24 Hours in a Day, 24 beers in a tray !

"I think the firing orders wrong! : ) "
"I do it with Twins"

Lone Wolf Rider

#28 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:13 pm

I popped in to Hein Gericke in Oxford today for a wee nosey. I tried the HJC IS MAX again and I've got to say it's the most comfy flip front lid I can find. Web Bike world reckon it's pretty good and fairly quiet too. So looks like the lid for me when touring. I'll be using the Arai when on my own and doing trackdays etc.

btw, HJC do a Bluetooth ready version with nice little recesses for the earpieces, it would be nice if all the helmet manufacturers settle on a standard mounting for Bluetooth devices.....

#29 Gobsheen

Gobsheen

really likes Carpe

• 88 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:10 pm

I use a Schuberth C2 which is very good although it does leave a line on my forehead after a while. Just seems to be the way the padding sits.....annoying. I really like a flip helmet anyway. The drop down sun visor is great.

I had a ride using the Caberg Justissimo and I was impressed. A bit creakier putting it on and taking off but fine once it's in place.

#30 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:24 am

Lidl Tomorrow (oops today then )

http://www.lidl.co.u...index_18748.htm

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#31 busa2000

busa2000

seems to like Carpe

• 76 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:56 pm

Got a Shark evoline brilliant light comfy not too noisy and rated as a open face and full face one of the few, also only this and the Roof Boxer ( which i also had and was crap) can be worn legaly with the chin bar opened. Got an Arai Corsair as well but allways seem to be wearing the Shark. tup.gif tup.gif

#32 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:24 pm

QUOTE(busa2000 @ Mon 14th Mar 2011, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got a Shark evoline brilliant light comfy not too noisy and rated as a open face and full face one of the few, also only this and the Roof Boxer ( which i also had and was crap) can be worn legaly with the chin bar opened. Got an Arai Corsair as well but allways seem to be wearing the Shark. tup.gif tup.gif

Yea i really fancy the Shark evo,,,,, but folding stuff has been spent far too much recently,, plus need new rear tyre as was an advisory on MOT today,, passed bye the way,,,so will be lookin at the cheaper end of the market.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#33 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:43 am

QUOTE(maximuspetrolhead @ Sun 6th Mar 2011, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I popped in to Hein Gericke in Oxford today for a wee nosey. I tried the HJC IS MAX again and I've got to say it's the most comfy flip front lid I can find. Web Bike world reckon it's pretty good and fairly quiet too. So looks like the lid for me when touring. I'll be using the Arai when on my own and doing trackdays etc.

btw, HJC do a Bluetooth ready version with nice little recesses for the earpieces, it would be nice if all the helmet manufacturers settle on a standard mounting for Bluetooth devices.....

I've got one and I much prefer it to the last flippy lid I had (Schuberth C2). Very comfy and more chin room compared to a lot of flippy lids. Fairly quiet, but not as quiet as my Shark full face, but I wear ear plugs anyway, so it doesn't matter too much. For the price, hard to beat. It doesn't steam up either (the Shark is poor on that score).

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#34 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:11 pm

QUOTE(Matlock @ Sat 5th Mar 2011, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this any good?

http://www.helmetcit...CFcJP4QodNXhqaQ

#35 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:15 pm

QUOTE(TKH @ Sat 26th Mar 2011, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Someone explain to me where £380 comes from?

To me, the biggest 'name' ripoff I know

Shoei is a good brand so they can charge 4 times more than other good helmets..nahhh

Makes me mad!

#36 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:43 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Sat 26th Mar 2011, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Someone explain to me where £380 comes from?

To me, the biggest 'name' ripoff I know

Shoei is a good brand so they can charge 4 times more than other good helmets..nahhh

Makes me mad!

Erm well - Shoei Multitec - Shearwater TC5 RRP £434.95

Also helmet city.

#37 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:08 pm

Yoohoo finally got a flippy,,,,,,,,,,fookin louder though so now i got to diddle around with screens again,,,boohoo,,,,,,, tried a Nolan with a very funky slidy out type of lid when you want to close it,,,,,felt luverly on my head,,, but wiggled around a good 1/2" or so,,,, was very dissapointed,,,, so i have bought an HJC IS MAX which fits perfick,, ( have full face HJC ) so far so good,,, but will have to diddle with screen and prolly buy some molded earplugs,,, really wanted to try the Nitro as well but could'nt find any stock local,,,, Caberg felt like a bucket on me ed,, cor blimey i must be getting old,,, a flippy uppy biggrin.gif

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#38 jim850wav

jim850wav

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:17 pm

QUOTE(dablik @ Thu 23rd Jun 2011, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yoohoo finally got a flippy,,,,,,,,,,fookin louder though so now i got to diddle around with screens again,,,boohoo,,,,,,, tried a Nolan with a very funky slidy out type of lid when you want to close it,,,,,felt luverly on my head,,, but wiggled around a good 1/2" or so,,,, was very dissapointed,,,, so i have bought an HJC IS MAX which fits perfick,, ( have full face HJC ) so far so good,,, but will have to diddle with screen and prolly buy some molded earplugs,,, really wanted to try the Nitro as well but could'nt find any stock local,,,, Caberg felt like a bucket on me ed,, cor blimey i must be getting old,,, a flippy uppy biggrin.gif

Your rambleing rotflmmfao.gif
Slightly beat up Mk1 but still going

#39 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:00 pm

QUOTE(jim850wav @ Thu 23rd Jun 2011, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your rambleing rotflmmfao.gif

rotflmmfao.gif so i am,, it's me age Jim laugh.gif

#40 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:55 pm

QUOTE(dablik @ Thu 23rd Jun 2011, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice one, I've just got back from Germany and I've got to say the HJC IS MAX is a great helmet, as comfy as my Arai and perfect for touring.

I bought mine off eBay for £25!!! (It was unused btw smile.gif )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users