10 replies to this topic

#1 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:32 am

i have mountain bike that i have modified to more of a road bike , but its still a mountain bike , and its solid as fck, ie heavy frame, just been wild camping overnight ,handy panniers from lidl very liteweight tent, cooking stuff and sleeping bag , 60+miles round trip, trying to put in a lot more miles training but I am not sure whether to get a racer road bike or a hybrid , any thoughts from the cyclists amongst us would be much appreciated

#2 mototdm

mototdm

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 157 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:11 am

It all depends what sort of mountain bike you have. I am guessing it's not the appropriate bike for touring camping. Don't go for the lightweight racer either. A longer wheel base hybrid type would suit, a balls out tourer costs££££££. Keep it light, as you seem to be doing. Right gearing ie to suit your riding style , laugh as much as we do at lycra wearing cyclists some of it makes sense. Saddle very important , you will find what suits you, not everyone is the same. Join a cycle touring club, doesn't cost a penny & there is plenty of good advice. To get fit just cycle, cycle, cycle & more. Good luck

#3 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:17 pm

I've done the same dumped the MTB and got one of these a Scott SUB20 hybrid really light, mega fast and stops on a pin. The best of both worlds I feel.

2003 TDM900 in Galaxy Blue with 32k on the clock

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Oxford Heated Grips, Polisport Handguards, RM-G Crash bars & Centre Stand, Givi
Touring & Double Bubble Screens, Bar Risers, Renthal 755 Riser Bars,
Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:40 pm

The hybrids also tend to have the frame holes for fitting mudguards, pannier racks etc and you can fit a decent tyre that'll let you go off the beaten track. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:46 pm

Hybrid i reckon, slower than a road bike, faster than a mtb, depends who's doing the riding mind  :)  I use a hybrid for canal paths and old railways and it's fine on the road.....and dont have to wear the licra either  :P if you end up doing mainly road on one you could always change the tyres.....or wot about a 29r !!

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 JerryS

JerryS

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 137 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:17 pm

P1020179.jpg

Adventure/gravel bike is what you want . Drop bars, big tyres and mounting for mudguards and panniers.

Fuel Cans, Baglux tank cover, Givi E21 panniers, Givi Flow top box, Yamaha centre stand, Garmin Zumo SatNav,, Givi engine bars, Barkbuster S1 handguards, Powerbronze Fender Extender and Headlight guards.

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:03 pm

What is yer question ed Zackery?  You dont loike yer existing boike or wha?

I love tour cycling and do it on my 23year old steel framed treader.  Peeps tour on allsorts ....even uni cycles and penny fartings.

Fitness will sort itsen out as you treader.  But if you are worried aboot it then there is plenty of advice on umm everything tour cycling ear:  crazyguyonabike.com

Lettuce snow how ya gerron.

If you have an unlimited supply of money and are not worried aboot leafing a 3 or 4 grand boike oootside then you could speak to the peeps at Thorn who will build a boike aroond you...with a Rohloff hub etc etc...the options are endless.

Another thing I would consider if you plan on doing big miles day after day is a Brookes saddle. :)

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#8 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:36 am

If you're cycling to get fit then the heavier the bike the better, if you're in to get somewhere then lightness helps :D

I'm not convinced hybrids are necessarily much lighter than a modern mountain bike unless you start spending serious cash.  The wife's £300ish hybrid is a similar weight to my similarly priced Mountain bike, and with dual purpose tyres on mine the rolling resistance is similar on the road.  Her more upright (TDMish) riding position makes for a more comfortable bimbling around bike but a slightly sportier position makes for better hill climbing ability.

If you've not tried them'd recommend dual purpose tyres, they have a ridge down the centre to give a smoother ride on the road, and knobbles elsewhere for grip.  Not as good as a proper offroad tyre on soft mud but just as good on harder tracks and much smoother on the road.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#9 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:27 am

i have mountain bike that i have modified to more of a road bike , but its still a mountain bike , and its solid as fck, ie heavy frame, just been wild camping overnight ,handy panniers from lidl very liteweight tent, cooking stuff and sleeping bag , 60+miles round trip, trying to put in a lot more miles training but I am not sure whether to get a racer road bike or a hybrid , any thoughts from the cyclists amongst us would be much appreciated

The cycling bit was making feel tired, but the I like the wild camping bit. I wonder how many others here are into that and other bushcrafty stuff.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:29 am

Yeah, good tyres, I've got Schwalbe Land Cruiser tyres on the old hybrid and they're great for canal towpaths, forest trails and tarmac.  Less than £30 a pair too. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#11 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:11 am

mud gaurds , gel cover, wifes rack off her bike ,tri bars , changed pedals for a pair with straps, white wall road tyres , that was the big difference as it had big fck off knobblies , and the ride is a lot smoother but then I have front suspenders , may be I should just get out on the thing and put in miles , after watching clips on you tube I reckon I should be doing approx. 25 miles 3 times a week with a bigger run at the week end , I suppose it depends on how serious I want to get , I  am fairly fit for my age , 55ish , but I still feel that I should be zooming around the countryside like I did 10 =15 years ago , may be its a macho thing , and no bloody lycra, sons mate turned up at the house with a new MTB, £1300 REDUCED TO £8OO  , nice looking bike , light , but there is no way I could justify spending that sort of money to my financial advisor {the wifey},thanks for all the input , I was hoping for a 130 mile round trip over the Cairn o Mount , down Deeside ,Glenshee , then back through Blairgowrie and then home but I will just have to get out there and put the miles in

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users